Kaiaua fishing

Page  <1 1819202122 28>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 7:35pm
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was that south of Kaiaua, Cigar?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:43pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Spudnik Spudnik wrote:

Was that south of Kaiaua, Cigar?

Yep, same area as a couple of weeks ago, 4-6m about 7km south east of Kaiaua
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 6:27am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went off the wreck/quarry ramp saturday late afternoon dropped the pick in 11m.
Plenty of snaps biting but had to wade thru the small ones ..kept 10 before we headed in just before dark.
Getting tired of the conditions, seems to be always blowing when we get out lately
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 11:01pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had another shot at Kaiaua yesterday. Launched tardily at 10.30am and headed off to the farms with a brisk southerly behind us. No luck there and with a dropping wind we headed across to Waikawau middle farms for a look. Put four in the bin but no frenetic bite so headed back to Kaiaua for a look at the never fail spot in 11m out from the quarry. Lots of sign but not much feeding happening - put 1 more in the bin and called it a day at 6.30pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 4:18pm
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Launched from Kaiaua about midday. Water was very murky, less than 1m visibility, but flat enough to walk on. Went to about 4-5m, fished with bait and softies. Ended up with 3 goldfish and a very grumpy hammerhead.

Buckler of Swashes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katolad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 4:07pm
katolad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone, keen to know if anyone has been out from kaiaua since the flooding and cyclone and what the water looks like? If its cleaned up or still flowing brown? Weather looks exceptional tomorrow so me and the wife will hit the water early and hope the fish are biting hard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:22pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Howsit katolad, was up out of the quarry last Saturday.
Pretty average conditions with solid 15/20 knt nnwesterly.
Wanted to prospect with softbaits but only option was to tie up in a farm and burley up.We were in 12metres.
Ended up doing well when the tide started to run and burley got going.
Nice bin full by the time it was time to go, fat fish best couple were up in the high 50cm's.
Water was very average colour, but should be mint by now!.
Some mates got into nice pannies right at the bottom of the firth in a few metres of water 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Seems like the fish are on the chew around the area as usual this time of year.
All the best if you get out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote J_Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:27pm
J_Dub View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went out in the time between the 2 storms, maybe 3 weeks ago, water was like chocolate milk. Heaps of large floating mounds of grass. Went to 10 meters n/w from kaiaua. As usual caught a good feed, heaps of fish about and very bitey👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote katolad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:25pm
katolad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info guys, I'll put up another post after tomorrow and let you know who things have gone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 7:27pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool, be good to hear how it goes...Been a bit quiet on here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote katolad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:07pm
katolad View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We got on the water around 7.00am launching at F lowry road off the beach and headed north to the mussel farm still a bit of floating debris and water was a brownish green colour and around 8knot wind with a 0.4m chop.
We tied onto a rope next to Drew and Barb from "BITE MY BITS TACKLE NZ"
and had some great banter whilst both boating a few snappa. After i landed a few horse kahawai on light gear we gave Drew a mackerel as he just so happened to have onboard one if of his live bait rigs ready to deploy but no lively yet.
And before you could say here fishy fishy fishy BAM balloon had popped and he was hooked up and landed a nice kingi around 8kg's.
He then handed over his rod and said here you go rig up that other lively you just caught and have a go.
Around 5mins lather the livebait was getting harrased and it got nailed by another horse kahawai.
A few more snappa were boated and another live bait deployed under a balloon produced another kahawai.
Around 1pm Drew and Barb departed with 9snappa and a kingi and we left soon after with 6 snappa and 4 kahawai.
If you want to support a top local bloke look up BITE MY BITS TACKLE NZ for affordable rigs and terminal tackle.
And like them on facebook too.
I plan to catch up again for another very enjoyable fishing experience with the crew. Tight lines everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 4:48pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow been a long time between drinks on this thread..
Drakar 1 put the call our yesterday and provided me an oasis in the desert of my winter Firth fishing

Hit the water nice and early with the plan to softbait the shallow areas in the mint conditions.
Turned out to be a tad quiet first thing, with the skip muttering something about the big moon..never mind really enjoyed the time out there. Beautiful.
Our efforts did pay dividends later in the morning as some fat pannies up to 44cm went in the bin.
Found them on a line outside the mussel farms in about 14m.
Awesome feed and good times.
Thanks for the morning Az

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 8:20pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

"an oasis in the desert of my winter Firth fishing"

That's just beautiful Mat - and so is that shot of the oily flat water and the moody grey sky. The fish looks bloody awesome too! Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 8:56pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Wow been a long time between drinks on this thread..
Drakar 1 put the call our yesterday and provided me an oasis in the desert of my winter Firth fishing

Hit the water nice and early with the plan to softbait the shallow areas in the mint conditions.
Turned out to be a tad quiet first thing, with the skip muttering something about the big moon..never mind really enjoyed the time out there. Beautiful.
Our efforts did pay dividends later in the morning as some fat pannies up to 44cm went in the bin.
Found them on a line outside the mussel farms in about 14m.
Awesome feed and good times.
Thanks for the morning Az

thats a nice looking plate of fresh fillets..  yum yum
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 6:49pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Boyo Boyo wrote:

"an oasis in the desert of my winter Firth fishing"

That's just beautiful Mat - and so is that shot of the oily flat water and the moody grey sky. The fish looks bloody awesome too! Thumbs Up

Thanks mate, bloody knife was sticky with fat goodness whilst filleting.mint eating I can tell you👌
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:51pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent the morning softbaiting the firth out of the quarry.
Found it to be a real slow bite, in fact for me it was a skunking
Lucky Drakar knew how to hook a few for the bin and also snagged a nice Johnny D.
Great day to be out boating all the same

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 6:35pm
Boyo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for sharing Mat, weather and water looks beautiful. What day was this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 6:47pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was Sunday morning mate.8:30 to 1:30
Photo was taken on way back from middle of the firth was glassy for a bit
I know...2 weekends in a row! Arran keeps twisting my arm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 10:14pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Was a late start 'cause skipper wanted water at the ramp to launch his boat.
Was a crappy sea 'cause it was wind against tide when we finally launched.
Was friggen freezing because the wind was way stronger from the south than the skipper said it would be.
Was terrible fishing in all the spots we tried that the skipper had plotted in his gps.

But.......

It was a great end to the day ' cause the skipper spotted some birds on our way back in and we had a ball on inchinku , solid KY, pannie snaps and even metal munching carrots spewing anchovies.

It always pays to take a good skipper with you fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spudnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 5:34pm
Spudnik View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Snuck out from Kaiaua at 7am Friday, and fished the 4-5m mark. Water was choppy when wind opposed the tide, but flattened out when the tide turned. Ended up with 3 snapper to 40cm and 6 kahawai, and returned at least 6 more kahawai, couldn't keep the bloody things away!
Buckler of Swashes
Page  <1 1819202122 28>