kaipara reports

Page  <1 2021222324 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 2:32pm
Tomatron View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It was poohs choppy and no fish. Got a feed inner harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 3:01pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Tomatron Tomatron wrote:

It was poohs choppy and no fish. Got a feed inner harbour.

Choppy ?????? That is surprising as was almost glassy out on the gulf however the fishing was slow after starting off with great promise & we ended up with eight snaps along with umpteen sub 30 cm by a couple of mm.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 4:01pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Ok, I'll clarify.
It is 01.09.16.

To confirm this I spoke to MPI Wellington.
So Kaipara falls into the Auckland kermadec.
So all relax.
Well almost, as I heard there is only a few hundred there and I will bringing most of those home tomorrow morning.
Sorry guys.

Turn ya damn radio on!
Tried calling you as I was up the harbour today too.

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 4:57pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry there otrdmn,

Had a few issues, lost my phone overboard, first time, scollies were great, busy landing King, 10kgsnaps and there 50 cm brothers and sisters, kawhai of all sizes for Africa and a carrot.

Just an awful day and I forgot to turn me radio on.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 8:27pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Top effort that's a nice fish were there many boats out today now many trailers in the carpark? Are the scallops in good Nick?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 8:39pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About fifteen boats on the water that I saw.
Scollies in good nick apart from underdeveloped corals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:24pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yesterday for us on the kaipara a 25hook longline set for 2 hours checked and set again in a different spot for another 2hours for a total of 2 gernard one each set...

Fishing with the rods inbertween serviceing the longline i mannaged another 2 small gernard and 1 medium kahawai and my mate got an undersized snap

Grand total 4 small gernard and 1 medium kahawai for 3 guys in 6 hours slow as
We didn't go further than the green marker and tryed spots all around between there and shelly the fish sounds like they were up further
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Danny Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:53pm
Danny Buoy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went out with my wife for first day of scallop season - we did ok with the scallops but the fishing was terrible - better than being at work though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BladesMan1889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 4:45pm
BladesMan1889 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

6 hours. 4 Gurnard, 1 Snapper and a heap of sharks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 8:00am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

yesterday for us on the kaipara a 25hook longline set for 2 hours checked and set again in a different spot for another 2hours for a total of 2 gernard one each set...

Fishing with the rods inbertween serviceing the longline i mannaged another 2 small gernard and 1 medium kahawai and my mate got an undersized snap

We didn't go further than the green marker and tryed spots all around between there and shelly the fish sounds like they were up further

Interesting to hear you used a setline I have never tried mine on the Kaipara but it would be handy on days when I take the kids for a picnic at the lagoon or wanted to do a bit of scallop dredging,do you have problems getting sharked how do you get on with the strong currents huge anchors?

Some pretty honest trip reports lately showing the fickle Kaipara is not really firing at the moment, going back on my own records from this time last year it's a bit harder but as soon as the water temp rises a few degrees it will be all on again catching snapper that are warm to touch until then enjoy our winter friends the gurnard .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crowbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 8:41am
crowbar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got out for a quick look about as we haven't been out for while. Fishing was slow but that is true for this time of the year. Started up on the banks in a little gut way & then headed back towards gurnard gulley from there to a gut up by Shelly Beach.
Six hours out for 3 x snapper all over the 50cm, 4 x gurnard & kept 4 kawhai.

Mattoo were you over the bar or graveyard way as I know the boys out from Muriwai beach were getting good fish & the fish in the inner harbour are not here yet.
Never stop learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 9:43am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lemmy lemmy wrote:

Originally posted by sappercatcha sappercatcha wrote:

Interesting to hear you used a setline I have never tried mine on the Kaipara but it would be handy on days when I take the kids for a picnic at the lagoon or wanted to do a bit of scallop dredging,do you have problems getting sharked how do you get on with the strong currents huge anchors?

Some pretty honest trip reports lately showing the fickle Kaipara is not really firing at the moment, going back on my own records from this time last year it's a bit harder but as soon as the water temp rises a few degrees it will be all on again catching snapper that are warm to touch until then enjoy our winter friends the gurnard .

the setline gets put away over summer when the fishing's hot
I just use it in winter for supplementing the feed when the fishing is slow if you get 4 gurnard on the rods and another 4 or 5 on the setline that's a pretty ok feed for a few guys
we tend to catch more gurnard on the setline than the rods

sharks while yes can be an issue during winter I find its ok
I set the longline lots overwinter and have only been badly sharked once in maybe 6 years by badly I mean half fish and broken traces left right and center

I tie my own traces and only use 60lb most traces you buy are 80-100lb
the idea is anything undesirable is going to bite through or snap the trace before damaging the line hooks are cheap longline backbone not so much
always get the odd schooly though

nah don't need huge anchors I just use little grapnel anchors about a 1kg-1.5kg with about 300mm of fairly sturdy chain which connect to the longline via u-shackle to loops tied in each end of the rope dropper/float lines I also use a pretty hefty sinker about 10oz or so clipped on every 5 or so hooks otherwise the line floats in the middle I like to have the backbone hard on the bottom and then the traces will float around in the current just above the bottom right in the strike zone for gurnard

I set it out of the way of other boats and normally out of the main current lines but ive had it in very strong current before and never had to go looking for it its always been right where I left it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 12:06pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crowbar.

I was fishing inside the bar between the two heads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 8:07pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for that info sappercatcha yeah I can see the benefits of the setline in the winter months.
During summer we usually never have a problem getting a good feed and I would be scared to overdo our limit and with a longline.
I,m ,really keen to try a few different spots this Summer as its to easy to go to the same old spots every time and its hard to drive away when your catching fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 8:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

yeah I know what you mean
what I do if I have no time restrictions is I have a couple of spots that are a sure thing close to home
so I can go out and about safe in the knowledge that I can stop for 30min and grab a feed on the way home if need be.....
but quite often I cant be bothered using the gas so stay close and grab a feed
and head home an hr from launch to retrieve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote crowbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 8:17am
crowbar View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mattoo.

Thanks for that might have a look down there later in the week
Never stop learning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:35pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A couple of weeks into Sep Pea and I wondered if the Spring Snapper had turned up in the West coast harbor's as yet - We set of one morning to see and although it didn't look like they were in as yet it looked promising with a few nice Snaps and Carrots caught through out the day...

The water temp wasn't bad at around 14deg so a couple more weeks and some warm weather should see the harbor's once again full up with Spring run Snapper...

Anchored up in 8mtrs of water where it dropped away of a couple of big banks worked a treat - our usual channels were very quiet but we should start to see fish swimming these any day now.

Another great day out on the water with a mate and a few fish in the bin - can't ask for much more than that....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 1:34pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Have been chomping at the bit to get out on the Kaipara for some time now as suitable tides have to coincide with favourable weather if launching from Mungakura as we do mostly.

We were intending to do so on Monday, but given the reports of how hard the fishing in the harbour (fishwisperer excepted ) has been of late, am beginning to think we might be better off fishing the gulf instead. Last time out on the Kaipara we fished our favoured location for 2 1/2 hours without so much as bite until we shot over to the western side where we had some good results. In my experience cold water temps along with excessive rain run off, seem to adversely affect the fish from gathering in the general harbour & we have had plenty both for awhile now.

The water is noticeably dirty away from the main western channels presumably due to all the rain water flowing in from the land & have been told such conditions can present a health risk if collecting oysters or scollops. 

Unfortunately the tide times preclude the option of moving across to clearer water as we did last time therefore would appreciate any opinions re :-

Are the fish likely to be on the eastern locations of the harbour or not considering the current weather ?

Does excess freshwater adversely affect the fish, scollops & oysters.

Finally ..... is there any all tide channel allowing return access from the eastern side to the western side of the harbour ?????

We have observed the oyster barge seems to operate at all times of the tide & even tho it may well have a very shallow draft it still has a couple of decent size outboards that must require a fair amount of draft. When we tried charting a similar course at approx. half tide encountered depths a bit under a metre so reasoned at the rate it was dropping, did not have a lot of time before we would have run aground.

Any advice or opinions appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dalgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 2:25pm
dalgo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Finally ..... is there any all tide channel allowing return access from the eastern side to the western side of the harbour ?????

We have observed the oyster barge seems to operate at all times of the tide & even tho it may well have a very shallow draft it still has a couple of decent size outboards that must require a fair amount of draft. When we tried charting a similar course at approx. half tide encountered depths a bit under a metre so reasoned at the rate it was dropping, did not have a lot of time before we would have run aground.

This is a shot from Google Earth showing the Hoteo entrance at low tide. There appears to be a channel to the east of Moturemu Island. I have seen the oyster barge use this one. You can check it yourself if you use Google Earth (date stamp is 7/9/15).
Further west the banks run NW/SE so it is not as easy to see a safe channel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 4:52pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by dalgo dalgo wrote:

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

This is a shot from Google Earth showing the Hoteo entrance at low tide. There appears to be a channel to the east of Moturemu Island. I have seen the oyster barge use this one. You can check it yourself if you use Google Earth (date stamp is 7/9/15).
Further west the banks run NW/SE so it is not as easy to see a safe channel.

Thanx for that Dalgo ... however as far as I can make out that is the channel marked with buoys that eventually provides a route out to
deeper water towards "Old Mans' Nose"  This is the route we normally would follow as does the oyster barge even tho it can be fairly marginal on a low tide largely due to the terrain constantly changing. OK on an incoming tide, as only have to wait until the tide rises to get underway again providing there is sufficient daylight left to be able to see the stakes marking the river mouth channels which can be difficult to see at the best of times let alone in adverse conditions.

The deeper channel running alongside "Old Mans Nose" is about 5 to 9 mtrs deep & is the general area where we would normally fish yet the oyster barge often passes heading way into the distance over half way to the heads, seemingly at any point of the tide. Yet if we attempt to plot a similar course we seem to run perilously short of depth even at mid tide.

It never ceases to amaze me that more boats do not get stranded on the Kaipara given that it is near impossible to visually gauge the depth & heading towards those birds floating on the surface can often reveal they are wading birds standing barely beyond their ankles !!

Page  <1 2021222324 33>