kaipara reports

Page  <1 2122232425 33>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rustynail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 6:53pm
rustynail View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I find it best to leave mangakura boat ramp around two hours before low tide and two hours after for returning that way you have enough water to travel threw channel. If you are unsure or want to come back in the dark and don't have a chartplotter try launching from staples landing its another 20 minutes north from the mangakura boat ramp it is a easy drive down the tauhoa river and straight into the tauhoa channel east of moturemu island. I have been fishing down abit further than the oldmans nose this winter and the worst day I've had was coming home with 8 snapper and between 35cm and 57cm and a gurnard. It hasn't mattered about the fresh water either and I have been told that the fresh water sits above the salt water. I find fishing around the oldmans nose is best either side of hi and seem to get more gurnard and I fish further down the channel for low when I seem to get more snaps. Don't be afraid to shift if your not having any luck it's how you learn and find new spot's I've been fishing on the kaipara over 20 years and i'm still learning and finding new spot's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:39am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Weather looking good for Sun on the Kaipara then for most of the week.

Anyone planning on going out on the harbour Sun ?

If so would appreciate any feedback on how you got on which will likely influence our decision of where we go Mon ie the Kaipara or the Gulf.

Last time out a few weeks ago we found the harbour virtually devoid of fish both on our lines & showing on the sounder until we moved over towards the entrance side. We put it down to the chilly water temps along with the amount of rain water flowing in & those conditions have been pretty much consistent in the interim.

I can perhaps understand the snapper not being prevalent given the colder water temps, but puzzles me where the KY & gurnard that tolerate or even relish the cold disappear to. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 11:01am
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi bazza

If I wasn't heading to the far North next weekend I would of probably talked Darren in to a Sunday mish  - There are stacks of Kahawai on top of Kahawai (can't get away from them) and plenty of Carrots there - Last week if we weren't concentrating on the Snapper we would have binned up on the Gurnard for Shaw - I had my gurnard rod in the corner just constantly buckled over with Gurnard attacking my baits but just left it to hook themselves...

Good luck Mon and let us know how you go if you head West...

Cheers
Jase 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:13pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by fishwisperer fishwisperer wrote:

Hi bazza

If I wasn't heading to the far North next weekend I would of probably talked Darren in to a Sunday mish  - There are stacks of Kahawai on top of Kahawai (can't get away from them) and plenty of Carrots there - Last week if we weren't concentrating on the Snapper we would have binned up on the Gurnard for Shaw - I had my gurnard rod in the corner just constantly buckled over with Gurnard attacking my baits but just left it to hook themselves...

Good luck Mon and let us know how you go if you head West...

Cheers
Jase 

Thanx Jase .... yeah have pretty well decided to opt for the Kaipara in the hope that the fish have come back to the area we usually catch them as otherwise would have to wait until the tides & weather were suitable again for launching from Mungakura.

Not the I mind blanking myself but it is fairly important to me that my guest on Mon enjoys some rewarding fishing.

Cheers Barry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 4:24pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Managed to get out yesterday to fish the inner harbour after a quick trip up to the concrete marker to discover the bung was still hooked on to the railblaza hook on the dash it was a dash back to Shelley to reload the boat back onto the trailer to drain the hull (first time I have ever done that).
Then back up to fish a few channels, the snapper are back so managed to get a feed and a few other bits and bobs along the way,
got chased way by the seals at the mouth of the lagoon while trying to catch a ky on a soft plastic awesome day on the harbour roll on Summer.
The scallops are not the best yet and are a very dirty still need another month .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 11:47am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

If so would appreciate any feedback on how you got on which will likely influence our decision of where we go Mon ie the Kaipara or the Gulf.

Last time out a few weeks ago we found the harbour virtually devoid of fish both on our lines & showing on the sounder until we moved over towards the entrance side. We put it down to the chilly water temps along with the amount of rain water flowing in & those conditions have been pretty much consistent in the interim.

I can perhaps understand the snapper not being prevalent given the colder water temps, but puzzles me where the KY & gurnard that tolerate or even relish the cold disappear to. 

OK ... the Kaipara was decided on for an early morning start yesterday ( Mon )

On the way to the ramp at Mungakura I expressed concern about the patches of misty fog lying about & even more so when it became apparent there was even more out on the water, to the extent I declared that if it was noticeable at the ramp, then I would opt to abhort the mission.

As it happened it was perfectly clear at the ramp so launched as intended & navigated out a bit beyond the channel markers before  we were suddenly engulfed in this ( bottom pic ) which was to worsen.

We decided as there was no chance of finding our way back to the ramp under the conditions we would be best to push on in the intended direction until we reached deeper water, but in the interim we would wait at anchor for awhile in the hope that conditions may clear enough to see where we were going. Despite only being in less than 2 mtrs of water decided we might as well cast a bait out the back to ease the tedium of waiting & almost immediately my rod had a good size KY attached which went in the bin. Shortly after there was a partial clearing lasting only a matter of seconds but long enough to make out a line of nearby mangroves that should not have been there so it was up anchor & away supposedly in the general direction of where we wanted to go but stopped once we realised we were "lost" with accompanying uncomfortable feeling not eased by the fact Lloyd boated our second KY.

As anyone familiar the Kaipara will know it is not the ideal place to be, lost in the fog in shallow water on a falling tide & it appeared that our fishing trip at best, might lend itself more towards becoming a sand building completion ! Tried sourcing info from the GPS but to our total dismay found it was giving our position as close to Tiritiri Matangi which of course is on the east coast & we were on the west ???????

After some divided speculation between the two of us we resorted to google maps on Lloyds' phone which showed a speculative position but was a "locked image" inasmuch as it did not show in which direction we needed to move, a situation made all the worse by the fact we were being afforded momentary glimpse of totally unfamiliar
land profiles. Altho I vigorously disagreed with his assessments it was to prove that Lloyd had a much better idea of where we might be & the direction we needed to go than my totally disorientated version, a fact that was reinforced when we caught a glimpse of some familiar cliffs.

Eventually we found the deeper water we were after & it became apparent that instead of having headed towards Orongo Point we had ended up well on the way to the unfamiliar territory towards Stables Landing.

The irony was that once we finally found the general location we wanted to be in the conditions began to gradually clear until they became idyllic. ( top pic )

Regrettably the same can not be said for the fishing as we could barely buy a bite let alone hook a fish so as low tide approached opted to have a dredge for scollops which was only marginally more rewarding but after 3 or 4 drags had only accounted for about 1/2 dozen, even tho may have eventually reached our quota it would have risked using up a lot of fuel in addition to that already burnt up when lost.

Went ashore for lunch & in anticipation of a least a bucket load of oysters had those hopes dampened when they were found to be prolific but unfortunately in less than prime condition.

OK so the overall bounty for the day may have less than rewarding but had still enjoyed some magical weather, the fog excepted & more by luck than good judgment had avoided the potential of being stranded on a sandbar even if the fish tally would probably have remained the same. 

Four guys we spoke to on another boat that were locals that knew the area had not managed to boat a fish between them, so the fact we had managed two that made us feel slightly better.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 5:53pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What a difference a day makes on the Kaipara,I have been caught in the Kaipara Fog a few times which was,nt a pleasant experience just waiting for the Sand Barge to appear out of the mist  did your GPS start working when the fog cleared ,Do you have the Navionics App on your phone? always a good backup to the chartplotter
On Sunday all my shallow spots were devoid of legal fish so I opted to fish the edge of the channel in 60 feet of water which paid off although there were still a lot of small fish about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 9:47pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK ... the Kaipara was decided on for an early morning start yesterday ( Mon )

On the way to the ramp at Mungakura I expressed concern about the patches of misty fog lying about & even more so when it became apparent there was even more out on the water, to the extent I declared that if it was noticeable at the ramp, then I would opt to abhort the mission.

As it happened it was perfectly clear at the ramp so launched as intended & navigated out a bit beyond the channel markers before  we were suddenly engulfed in this ( bottom pic ) which was to worsen.

We decided as there was no chance of finding our way back to the ramp under the conditions we would be best to push on in the intended direction until we reached deeper water, but in the interim we would wait at anchor for awhile in the hope that conditions may clear enough to see where we were going. Despite only being in less than 2 mtrs of water decided we might as well cast a bait out the back to ease the tedium of waiting & almost immediately my rod had a good size KY attached which went in the bin. Shortly after there was a partial clearing lasting only a matter of seconds but long enough to make out a line of nearby mangroves that should not have been there so it was up anchor & away supposedly in the general direction of where we wanted to go but stopped once we realised we were "lost" with accompanying uncomfortable feeling not eased by the fact Lloyd boated our second KY.

As anyone familiar the Kaipara will know it is not the ideal place to be, lost in the fog in shallow water on a falling tide & it appeared that our fishing trip at best, might lend itself more towards becoming a sand building completion ! Tried sourcing info from the GPS but to our total dismay found it was giving our position as close to Tiritiri Matangi which of course is on the east coast & we were on the west ???????

After some divided speculation between the two of us we resorted to google maps on Lloyds' phone which showed a speculative position but was a "locked image" inasmuch as it did not show in which direction we needed to move, a situation made all the worse by the fact we were being afforded momentary glimpse of totally unfamiliar
land profiles. Altho I vigorously disagreed with his assessments it was to prove that Lloyd had a much better idea of where we might be & the direction we needed to go than my totally disorientated version, a fact that was reinforced when we caught a glimpse of some familiar cliffs.

Eventually we found the deeper water we were after & it became apparent that instead of having headed towards Orongo Point we had ended up well on the way to the unfamiliar territory towards Stables Landing.

The irony was that once we finally found the general location we wanted to be in the conditions began to gradually clear until they became idyllic. ( top pic )

Regrettably the same can not be said for the fishing as we could barely buy a bite let alone hook a fish so as low tide approached opted to have a dredge for scollops which was only marginally more rewarding but after 3 or 4 drags had only accounted for about 1/2 dozen, even tho may have eventually reached our quota it would have risked using up a lot of fuel in addition to that already burnt up when lost.

Went ashore for lunch & in anticipation of a least a bucket load of oysters had those hopes dampened when they were found to be prolific but unfortunately in less than prime condition.

OK so the overall bounty for the day may have less than rewarding but had still enjoyed some magical weather, the fog excepted & more by luck than good judgment had avoided the potential of being stranded on a sandbar even if the fish tally would probably have remained the same. 

Four guys we spoke to on another boat that were locals that knew the area had not managed to boat a fish between them, so the fact we had managed two that made us feel slightly better.

yep if its foggy and you don't have a plotter your pretty buggerd
I agree with lemmy you should get navionics app on your smart phone its like having a spare chart plotter in your pocket it has all the functions of a good plotter well worth the $20 or so bucks
I need to redo mine I lost it when I changed from android to iPhone epically since my raymarine blew up again will be taking it back for yet another warranty replacement Friday number 4 unit since originally buying it $1100 worth and its just well crap   
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rustynail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 7:52pm
rustynail View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out today and fished either side of low. Was pretty slow but steady got afew nice snaps around 62 cm smallest was 38cm and a couple of gurnard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 10:24am
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Managed to sneak out yesterday on the Kaipara for a few hours first thing while we had a brief break in the weather.
Went to the first spot and never moved the Snapper are back and had a couple of hours of hot fishing good old Kaipara firing again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cabby101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 8:58pm
Cabby101 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Set off down muriwai beach today with the intention of looping around to the top of the Kaipara. We got 38km up the beach and some army guys come sprinting down from the high tide mark to inform us that we could not go any further as there were explosives being used today.

Fair to say I was deflated, frustrated and somewhat annoyed. The army guys informed me there was a notification in the paper, very helpful. Does anyone know if there is somewhere online where we can find if the beach is closed for army activities?

I would have thought they would have the courtesy to put up a sign at the main beach saying it is closed... Also, I feel common sense and common courtesy would suggest not closing the beach on a weekend, especially labour weekend, in fact why are they even working on labour weekend? I assume its some discipline/sacrifice type thing. From this experience I feel they lack value for peoples time.

You guys know what it is like when you go fishing, 2 hours prep, 3 hours clean down, 2.5hrs hours driving... used petrol in car, bought ice, got up at 5:30am, woke the baby, planned the trip during the week, didnt sleep that well as I was thinking about going fishing... Basically I did all the things I would rather not do in a days fishing... but didnt get to go fishing.

Disappointing to say the least, not even the slightest  acknowledgement from the army guys that they had caused us any level of inconvenience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 9:23pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They fly red flags at the beach entry points also to advise they are testing explosives. Have a look for them when nexg passing.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 7:32pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah its a pain I  luckily know people who live up there I can check with as they drive past the flags outside of Parakai daily , always in the public notices in the Herald.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BladesMan1889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 6:09pm
BladesMan1889 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What are the conditions for the Kaipara looking like on Sunday? The two websites I look at to check are giving contradictory information. One is saying it's going to be alright, the other is saying the conditions are going to be awful. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 6:23pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like crap in the morning but getting better in the afternoon but will be marginal shouldn't bother the fish though as they are on the chew big time up there at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 2:20pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

It was a very productive albeit a peculiar day out on the Kaipara yesterday in idyllic weather conditions. It certainly was not constant action as was at time quite dead but then suddenly it would be all on again with at time three fish on at the same time or before the sinker even hit the bottom then would go dead quiet again.

We went ashore for oysters collecting a 10 ltr. pail full but then spent a couple or more hours with the boat high & dry, presumably as a result of misreading the tides.

The highlight tho was scoring our combined limit of scollops (40) that were in good condition with only 3 or 4 drags, even having to put back an excess that of legal size.

We were aiming for our limit of snaps for as mentioned we had a lot to give away to deserving recipients, thinking there was no way we could miss given the action & were throwing back legals but reached 19 then it switched off totally to the extent we could not catch that elusive number 20 no matter how hard we tried.

Eventual score was :
19    snaps albeit monsters amongst them
  7    Gurnard
 1     OS KY
40    Scollops
 ?     bucket of oysters

Plus the inevitable contingent sharks & rays.

A good day in all ......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 10:38am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Trip out yesterday was in doubt for awhile as on the way to the ramp there were numerous misty / foggy patches & one thing experience has taught me is the Kaipara is not a good place to be in low visibility.

However was quite clear on reaching the ramp, in fact for the entire day weather conditions were near perfect. Family are staying with us over the Xmas period so took son in law from Martinborough for his first time on the Kaipara.

I had raised his expectations re the fishing that could normall be experience on the Kaipara therefore was considerably embarrassed when we remained completely bite less after more than 30 mins. So moved over into shallower water to try there but to no avail initially & I was beginning to think "oh ho ... looks like it could be one of those days" until we started getting a few bites which gained momentum until becoming frenetic but strangely enough nothing was showing on the sounder.

Towards low tide we were approaching our limit in the knowledge we would have to fish after the change to kill time until there was sufficient water to get back so opted to dredge for scollops, once again scoring our limit.

Went ashore after that to gather a couple of buckets of oysters then fished again for awhile easily reaching our limit despite being selective as to size. So was a successful & enjoyable day with 20 snaps, 40 scollops plus abundant oysters along with the inevitable "put backs" such as ky, rays, sharks, doggies, therefore a seafood extravaganza planned for dinner for seven persons tonight, comprising raw oysters tempura scollops & panko coated snapper fillets.

Before anyone voices disapproval of us taking our limit just want to say it is mostly destined to go to pensioners, those that might be unwell or suchlike.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 3:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

I have no problem with taking a limit if its needed bazza good on ya for thinking of others and not being selfish

I take a limet if I'm out with people that don't get a chance to go fishing often so they can freeze some

if I'm out with one of my main fishing buddys we only keep enough for a feed as we are out all the time and fish is better fresh anyway

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 3:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

I was out yesterday 22/12/16
the plan was to limit out to supply fresh fish for a family function on xmas eve
didn't go far as only had a couple of hours
it was a bit slow with plenty of small fish around we did manage 13 snapper over 30cm between 2 fishos its a rule on my boat that even though 27 is legal on the kaipara anything smaller than 30 goes back unless its gut hooked

most fish caught yesterday were legal (kaipara) but under 30
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 7:56am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all,

looks like this thread went dead. Keen to start it up again! When do the carrots come in big numbers? Got a few snaps last Saturday for about 90 minutes, but dead the rest of the time.

Cheers
Page  <1 2122232425 33>