Smokey Things

Page  <1 678910>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Godders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:48pm
Godders View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Marinading kahawai in teriyaki soy sauce and smoking and then adding the Irish colcannon recipe for mashed potatoes is second to none.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 10:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slight mod from above posts.
Im now splitting my skinned fillets when cut the pin bones.. KY snaps, kings whatever.
just undet 1/2 small english tea cup of malt brown sugar , salt  and bit less sweet chilli sauce in 1 L of water.
marinate for 1 1/2 hrs for thinner fillets to just over 2 hrs longer
Throw any rows etc in the marinate
Trim red meat off the ky.
Smoke the same as previous posts.

I had a few of the small side of snap fillets....laying around.. not marinated.
In previous posts I have a receipe for muscles.......the marinate bags the muscle were in over night, I set up the muscles , thru the snap fillets in, mixed up, wiped off access, and put on the rakes... no salt, sugar.. just the little bit of olive oil and the bbq sauce in 1 bag and the olive oil and sweet chilli in the other.
Came out unexpectedly REAL NICE  AND browned up as good as the rest considering since they are thinner and where removed very early before drying out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 3:51pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I smoked up a few fat little KY last night after being in the salt/sugar brine for 4 days(!), and it came out great. I was worried it might be a bit too long but its given a great result, think I might extend my brining as a rule from now on! Smoked cold for 3 hours then hot for 1.5

Just as an aside someone gave me a bucket of fresh muscles a while back that I smoked up. Not sure whose recipe it was on here, but modified it a bit: steamed till juuuust opening, then shelled and into a bag with good olive oil, sweet chilli and some chipotle sauce, over night in the fridge. Following evening, hot smoked in small aluminium trays at around 110degs for 40minutes. Turned out orsum - moist, tender, sweet and very smokey (aided by the chipotle).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 10:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have modified the muscle smoke a little..
Rather than putting in bags over night...just throw in a stainless basin, mix up the oil and chilli sauce....and don use the small foil trays anymore.
Found these heat resistant, fine grill plastic  pizza cookers things at look sharp in Albany.....lay the muscles out on them.
With smoking at lower heats  38 to 42 degs and about 2 hrs then turn and another1 to  1 1/2 to  them give enough smoke flavour without the added smoke essence type stuff.

Smoking on the fine grills is the way to go.. and same for smoking roe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chip'n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 5:43pm
Chip'n View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Steps, more info on the heat resistant pizza plastic thingy please, have looked on look sharp site, not found. cheers Dale
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 10:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is what u are looking for.. or any similar food grade mesh / gill.
It was originally round and I cut to fit my smoker
The off cuts are good to place a few roe on

Edit pic disappeared??
 they are plastic type fine grills used for chips and stuff in the oven ge at most $2 shops, look sharp stores and china town market on te raki drv E Tamaki
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 5:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well time to scrape the cobwebs of my smokers as my mate Yonkers - Kyle kindly dropped me off the head, wings, belly flap and backbone of a 38kg Hapuku!Thumbs Up
Koromaumau - Nothing wasted!Clap

And with such a colossal head I had to saw it in half split it open and then in half again to have any chance of fitting it into my smoker.

I was going to do my usual marinade of Himalayan pink salt and maple syrup, but my ole mate Moggy beamed in and challenged me to try a brine instead, and so who was I to argue, thus I brine I did of 50g salt per litre of water and into the fridge it went for a 24 hr soak.

So tomorrow my smoker will be going hard out!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 9:13pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Two smokers going, 4 hrs on one, 4.5 hrs on the other;

Having trouble with the pics...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:32am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice smoked lamb yummy, pork comes out as nice . I marinate for 1-2 days first , love it , nice job mateClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 9:41am
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Catchelot .... did Kyle tow any plastic while he was out there? I presume he got the puka off the Brett or Knights. Did he say if he saw anything? It's getting close now. We will be at Toots from Jan 1st
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:06pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by part-timer part-timer wrote:

Catchelot .... did Kyle tow any plastic while he was out there? I presume he got the puka off the Brett or Knights. Did he say if he saw anything? It's getting close now. We will be at Toots from Jan 1st

Yes he trolled north of the knights, water temp only 18.1 he scored an albacore and even sent it out as a livie for a while and finally carved it up and used the belly flap on his dropper rig in 250m and scored the big puka.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Finished product;

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 8:48pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A couple of chocca smokers there, results look mighty fine...yummo
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 6:15pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

A couple of chocca smokers there, results look mighty fine...yummo

Yeah mate that is why I have just bought a bigger one!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 6:52pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by part-timer part-timer wrote:

Yes he trolled north of the knights, water temp only 18.1 he scored an albacore and even sent it out as a livie for a while and finally carved it up and used the belly flap on his dropper rig in 250m and scored the big puka.

nice... thanks for that..  

looks like a good smoke too.

cheers J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 8:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mine has been a little under used in the last couple months
 must get back into it.
 Above great motivation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 9:20am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes my smoker has been a little quiet last couple of months.
That will change as the Mrs came home with 20odd whole chickens so am going to have a crack doing some.
Any one smoking whole chickens?
Tips appeciated :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For those keen on doing more than fish, here is a great website that I have been following for some time now, subscribe to recieve the weekly email recipes and you can download an eBook also.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:40pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Finally finished my home built smoker and have given it a couple runs to test the temp control etc. I have sourced some fruit and hard woods and now have an assortment to test against some different meat thanks to some advice on this Forum. The old Tanner planer got some use last night and made light work of the Black Walnut and Birch (which apparently smokes like Maple) and I am still yet to hack up the Lovely branch of Pohutukawa that needed a home after coming down in a storm. Am I correct in reading this is best smoked green??? Cherry went well with my home kill lamb chops and sausages and I will wait for the Nectarine to dry before I cut that up. I am going to try some more meats and fish before building up the experience to try my Duck Salamis...Has anyone done game birds that could give some advice please? This has brought a new dimension to cooking and by the way the kids demolished the home kill meat after first attempt I think I am onto a winner...
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:42pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good looking setup you've got there CrayZfish..
I have smoked Swann and goose in the past and have done some duck breast this season.
Simple salt/ sugar brine with added chopped chilli's for 24 hrs.
Dry off and roll in black pepper
Smoked for about 4 hrs in charcoal smoker with feijoa wood.
Enjoyed the result, kind of like pastrami
Did some homekill Venison sausages at the same time that the kids demolished quick smart!.
Sorry no good info on temps etc as I use the eye-ometer with this smoker.
Yeah so well worth playing around with I reckon.
Page  <1 678910>