Truely wide

Page  <1 22232425>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 7:29pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

No DRAMAS, I got a message that there was some very nice water, with all the ingredients.

505,  lots of skipjack,  yeah and birds.  21  its gotta happen soon.

\just a guy sent me that, good a good feed of snapper too, big ones.

Hope you had a good recipe for billfish out the back of mokes /Barrier on his pilgrimage north
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 7:30pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ill check that out tomorrow Paul LOL The spot off the Cavs that is !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 6:29pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My apologies to "MANGRE2", not my style but definitely amped. It was bad timing, again my apologies.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 6:45pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

sweet as ,no drama.

good luck, with your projects.
And have a productive season,

cheers
Paul

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 11:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why's no one caught a fish yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 6:17am
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gotta go fishing to catch a fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 7:49am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Why's no one caught a fish yet?

bigger picture why have you not caught one yet??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 11:28am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I FINALLY DID IT!  55NM!  OVER NIGHTER In the 5.5 Surtees cubing for tuna.  What an adventure!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 11:59am
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Clap

wheres the report? 

Looking forward to it! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 5:44pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tell us the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 6:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like I'm still waiting for answer to my original question?
Don't personally believe in going too early, I tried it once but closer to Xmas .. went to White Island in search of tuna possibly saw some YFT, other than that just got albies and usual kings and stuff.

Guys have certainly proved going late even into July is better option than November. Always remember someone saying "fisherman put there gear away most seasons before fish leave our shores" .

Still guy next to me at work today was looking at sea temperatures and muttering stuff about 15 degrees up north and in places up to 19 degrees further out. Wasn't distracted.
I'll be in Mexico in November.. chances maybe better there that time of year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:49pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can answer that for myself.
For me initially opportunities weather wise to hunt and work commitments.
Then trepidation.
Now other life challenges.

As for Jake, glad he kept the dream alive.
I may not be able to do it in my Surtees anymore but it's still a goal.

Also as I'm still a practicing fisherman I expect quite a few dud result runs unless I'm really lucky.
Still I'm planning for the oppurtunity.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair enuf Mattoo not into throwing the cold water ( as encountered this time of year or up till Xmas) on anyones dreams.
It's all a goal we should aspire to with said resources of time and money.
Flipping wide you may have to go though. As you mature young fella, you'll realise picking your battles with fish and where you seek them matters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Appreciate your honest response.

Finding more energy now to do these missions.

And with Jakes effort makes me keener to find me window.
But will be in a larger boat. Need the comfort levels.

Been watching your results, bloody good stuff.

By the way thanks for the compliment.
But I'm guessing I have quite some years on this planet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ahh Mattoo, beautiful response .. I wish you well. Good to have fun on these pages like we used to. I hope you catch well and keep up a great positive attitude you have and have always displayed here .
My results these days are meagre by comparison to many in last couple seasons but thanks for kind thoughts , my fishing now is mainly kayak related but that is keeping me happy. I struggle with bigger trips and justify time away these days but looking forward to Mexico trip this year. And still have lovely little old friend of a boat to troll the waters off tuts when time allows ... just need more time.
Good luck this season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 11:17am
Platinum
Platinum

Ive been waiting for more time to post up with photos but so far this has not happened, but may do later.

I had been following a patch of water that originally was off Gisborne that held SBFT.  It arrived up here a few weeks ago and yes there were SBFT NBFT and bigeye all being caught commercially.  

The weather window did not arrive when the bulk of the fish were being caught and rumours were that the SBFT had all but departed when our window arrived.

We managed to get a decent SST a few days prior to our trip (many thanks Mat2) showing 17.4deg water where we wanted to be so we fulled up and went out with alot of pilchards and maccies for cubing.

We left quite late from Mangonui after a major overhaul on the outboard and boat and arrived at our grounds in the pitch black 830pm.  The inshore water matched the maps really well but the wider stuff was pretty cold 15-16' with abot 10knotts of wind and we had been told this may be the case with no maps on the day due to cloud cover.

Alas we had some bait sign deep and alot of small temp breaks in the area .2-.3degress so we cubed.  and boy did we cube.

We had one livie taken on a 50m behind the boat set 20m deep - my crew man left the drag way to high (his reel) so the bite happened balloon popped the rod bent and rachet made some noise and the livie was removed - with no hook up.  The resulting inspection showed a clean circle hook with no trace damage.

With in 15-20 mins our first blue shark turned up in the cube trail and for the rest of the night till 3 am we had them to entertain us, including one getting stuck inside our drogue with its head out the small exit hole. Lol  We also had some small bait fish hand out and a number of 30-50 cm fish (possibly small tuna) cruising back behind the droge at the edge of the light trail - none of which we could catch.

At 3 am I noticed alot of dense bait at 300m with the occasional big fish sitting on top so I set a deep bait with a live maccie and went to sleep.  4am and i was awoken by the rachet of the deep bait.  slow steady prrrrrrr on the Makaira 30w.  Waking up Aaron who was asleep on the deck with whispers of "the deeps bait the deep bait"  the reel lever was pushed up slowly and weight came on... and then off.  Upon winding up the bait was still there with no major injuries - just looks abit haggard. - long soft bite but it didnt stick.

We woke to a calming sea and good marks on the sounder  60-100m deep - nice arches of what we suspect was targe species.  Cube trails, live bait and a jig was deployed for no imediate success.  One cube was hit and rachet took off for a second but the hook never stuck.

We then did some trolling out over a 796m sea mount (out of 1800M)  there was general bird life and on the upcurrent side of the sea mount 300m deep to 600m bait like never before with some large fish on the top and on the edges that were straight up and down.  here we go we think....  after a few hours of dropping all manor of baits and lives and cubes we call it quits.  The deep current on this sea mount was unBELIEVABLE, barely able to get anything close to the bottom.

We then made a long run home in silky smooth seas 3 hours or so seeing dolphins whales and some more birds teasing us diving at unseen fishes.  We stopped in for a jig and caught a feed on the way in.  

Fantastic amazing and blessed to be able to do this trip -

A special shout of to Paul from Ocean SSTs for his amazing service, Ben Mat2 and Aaron for an amazing trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 1:36pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sounds like a Swordy bite !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 3:12pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well done Jake, top effort! Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 4:17pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the report,
Always good to read a report to reflect on.

I'd like to ask a few questions.

What was your fuel consumption for the entire trip?

Since you were sitting in the shipping lanes, how did you approach this?

Do SSTs really help you in this endeavour?

Do you have any form of communication possibilities while your out there?

Why did you not stay a second night?

What was the best thing you learnt from this experience?

Would you do it again.......?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

In answer to your Questions Mat2

What was your fuel consumption for the entire trip?  We did approx 140 Nm and used under 120l

Since you were sitting in the shipping lanes, how did you approach this?  To be honest we were worried about the shipping Lanes, I conferred with Aaron - who had done overnighters before and he was like "they light up like christmas trees, and we should be able to see them from quite a long way away"  Truth be told we didn't see a single ship and I believe we were about 10nm outside the shipping channels.  It took that far traveling in to see one the next day.

Do SSTs really help you in this endeavour?
The SST was so awesome - it helped in every way for planning etc  Unfortunately due to cloud cover stopped a more recent view.  The super warm 17.4' water though had moved on by the time we got out to where it was (we were told this may happen) but some temp breaks still remained and life was still present.  

Do you have any form of communication possibilities while your out there?
No possible communication.  Radio was way way out of range.  But people knew exactly where we would be fishing so if we were overdue where to look - we also had eperb etc flares and could have possibly radio'd commercial boats.

Why did you not stay a second night?
Weather window was only for one night.  So fuel bait food etc was only planned for one night.

What was the best thing you learnt from this experience?
We again found that the older surtees hull is an amazing sea boat, that if everything lines up and you trust your boat/crew/contingency plans then why not go for it.  And all the bait in the world doesn't mean a bite.  what on earth was that bait!  Also would have like to have had some squid baits, and tried some cubing with light 30 or 50lb trace to see if we could have enticed some smaller tuna -

Would you do it again......
Possibly do it again if the right circumstances arrive.  Would love to explore more out there over christmas but then there are fish closer so will be applying.  

Over all we both Aaron and I had such a super time - even stopping in close and catching some kingis etc super fun!
Page  <1 22232425>