Truely wide

Page  123 25>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truely wide
    Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 2:48pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Currently I am in the planning stages of my season, I am looking at heading wider of the 1000m mark to in search some blues and maybe a yellowfin.  I have also been looking at captures over the last season.     It seams most people are catching fish inside 200m -  Is that simply because that's where the fish are and the people who head wide don't catch anything or because people don't head wide?

any thoughts on this or captures over the last few seasons...

regards

jake
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 3:39pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My 2 YFT were caught at and just outside the 1000mt mark, mind you that was the end of 2007....As for marlin, haven't landed one yet but have been hit at 800, 330 and loads of places under 200, but i'm no gun so can't really tell you, but this season I'd like to hit the wide water again (back of Aldies, Manukau) and see what comes of it...Smile
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 4:57pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jake wasn't that WR Bluefin caught last summer...or was it the year before, anyway from memory it was caught in 150m maybe even less south of houhora I think, someone will reign in...

Season before last I saw a very large tuna free jump off Ruru maybe 200m, Craig - Doubleshot do you recall depth?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 5:17pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sounds like a good plan I hope the weather holds for it , what area are you going to target, if you went to east cape the 1000 mtr is close in but it's a long way to go to get land locked. I am still planning to leave the boat at and go from Opua each time doing days away
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 6:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Season before last I saw a very large tuna free jump off Ruru maybe 200m, Craig - Doubleshot do you recall depth?

About right Al, never seen you so excited, that same season is when I dropped a big blue at 330 off ruru...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 6:58pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting you want to go wide for a look Jake I will be in the not to distant future, you ask why more are caught in say 200m well many boats dont venture to far but maybe that is because this is where the structure isWink, work out the tide/current and look for the bait they wont be far awaySmile
sure they are caught further a field and many go wide for a look and most come home dissapointed really have a look at your charts and look for the structure
the blue fin Al mention was caught at the shallow patch from memory 72m or was that another one.

let us know when you go and i will sort a crew to follow along be good for safety reasons.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Well there is great structure wide at the 1000m mark and some huge pins. Have some great routes plotted. I cant see why they would not hold bait and fish but cant see why people dont fish them more. Guess its a huge distance to luck out. I was planning to leave while still dark and pick.on a pin all day. Steve will take u up on that two better then 1
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:57pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

about 55nm north east of north cape there is some pins that my comm mate has fished with great success. getting there is another story.  Aparently is full of lost trawl nets etc etc...YFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:07pm
Titanium
Titanium

yip been out there before, went to the 60mile grounds other than albacore we got nothing mind you it was early times, big currents and yes structure but when the pin comes up to 800m out od 12 you need the gears to find them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:18pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Currently I am in the planning stages of my season, I am looking at heading wider of the 1000m mark to in search some blues and maybe a yellowfin.  I have also been looking at captures over the last season.     It seams most people are catching fish inside 200m -  Is that simply because that's where the fish are and the people who head wide don't catch anything or because people don't head wide?

any thoughts on this or captures over the last few seasons...

regards

jake

on a season like the last one on the west coast out from manukau, there was no need to go wide, the fish were close so there was no point in driving past them i guess. 

i agree that more people fish closer, so more fish will be caught closer as more fishing effort and time is spent there than out wide. i agree with ba about the structure and bait.

if you get a decent forecast and have some pins etc marked out wide and a plan like you have, then you will have a good shot at success!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 10:43pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jake have you tried the explosive dump grounds n/e cape Brett any attraction to that general area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 5:40am
Titanium
Titanium

Like BA says about structure, the 2 YFT we got were on a large structural change, it was a 1000m down but clearly it was a good place to be, interesting tide line and plenty of skippies/alberts in the area, back then I didn't have the gear to show me what was going on down below, today is a different story, I see a plan formulating to hit that spot again this summer...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:00am
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=wanabe] Jake have you tried the explosive dump grounds n/e cape Brett any attraction to that general area
[/QUO

Ian I have never fished south of where I am from bar maybe one time at toots.]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:03am
Platinum
Platinum

Well ill definitely give it a nudge with the right weather window. Watch this space
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 7:25am
Platinum
Platinum

Oh and another thought. I am heading wide primarily for tuna so what spread should I run aeeing as mr pakula reckons bad boy blues will be here this season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:38am
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haystacks and needles come to mind but fortune favours the bold....all power to yee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 11:39am
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by alan syme alan syme wrote:

]

on a season like the last one on the west coast out from manukau, there was no need to go wide, the fish were close so there was no point in driving past them i guess. 

i agree that more people fish closer, so more fish will be caught closer as more fishing effort and time is spent there than out wide. i agree with ba about the structure and bait.

[/QUOTE] Ummmm.....talking cross purposes here I suspect. There were no yellowfin or big blues caught in close off the Manukau last season. Stripies are almost always to be found inside the 200m contour and often inside the 100 but the locally bordering on extinct yellowfin, especially the so called early run of donkeys....well.... you probably need to target the Rumbles seamounts, and other outer BOP seamounts, far NE barrier bank, Poor Knights rise and 1000 m line from there to north of north cape. Watch sst's for a finger of warm and see where it comes in from. I seem to remember there often being a warm finger early that may or may not come right to the shelf 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:42pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Aye I like idea of very wide, the adventure, and you just never know what's out there!
Went out 45nm past Gt Barrier in my 6m a couple of years ago, thought it was great! The stripies were out there, but also back in by the 200m mark at that time.
On the right day, it was a special place and I'll be out there again...give us a wave Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:46pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

yip been out there before, went to the 60mile grounds other than albacore we got nothing mind you it was early times, big currents and yes structure but when the pin comes up to 800m out od 12 you need the gears to find them

I'm sure I was told it comes up from 1800 to 450.  Same place?  Guys fished it for BN Bass, tuna etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

interesting we spent a day and a night out there and found nothing like that, I have got the latest charts for the new Simrad so will have a look and see what we can see.
watch this space.
Page  123 25>