Tutukaka spots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tutukaka spots
    Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 4:24pm
Iceman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I am going up to Tutukaka in middle of October for 3 days and was wondering if anybody knows of good spot for fishing off the rocks up there? Thanks in advance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 5:27pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yup follow the road heading north (matapouri road) there is a road called landowners lane that ends at a car park there is a track there to tutukaka heads and you can fish from there or head down the hill into the gully there is a house down there and head for the rocks to the right of the bay at low tide. OR alternatively follow matapouri road and there are some good rock hopping spots aorund there (I think that is where the mermaid pools are in matapouri) there is a track to your left at the norht end of the beach and you can get around to the rocks  from there too easy at low tide can mostly walk on sand but high tide is a ***** to get out getting across a 5 foot wide gap in the rocks (peoole snorkel for crays in that area) for the prick of a climb in and out at high tide the fishing is worth it straylining whole unweighted pillies is the way to go up there to save losing gear on the foul.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 8:19pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great time of the year to be there. There will be some BIG fish about, be ready.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:38am
Iceman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Aaron32987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:34pm
Aaron32987 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best fishing up there is first light, often the only time all day that fishes well - I know cos I've spent many a day from sun up to sun down around there.

Can really turn it on if you're targetting big kingfish with KY livies at sun up. Have fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 2:19pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

take a burley bomb or two with you to get that dinner bell ringing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lips/hooked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 3:47pm
lips/hooked View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

but hide anything of value in the boot or take it with you!
some rotten scum patrol these parts and i have been burnt, but yrs. ago. so not sure if still like this? but made me stop fishing this and a couple of other rock spots out east.
 but hope all goes well.
$hit happens
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 5:47pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still like that mate.
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 6:23pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by lips/hooked lips/hooked wrote:

some rotten scum patrol these parts and i have been burnt, but yrs. ago. so not sure if still like this? but made me stop fishing this and a couple of other rock spots out east.
 but hope all goes well.

If you're fishin South Gable it pays to park by the toilet block by the marina office and walk up the track to Landowners Rd, much safer.
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 9:19pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lips/hooked lips/hooked wrote:

but hope all goes well.
Had my 6 x 9 pinched from there(that car park at the end)....window smashed/locks done.......pity......If they had asked me nicely...they could have had em anyway.They were pretty crappppyLOL ..Other than that....its a great spot up there.....enjoyWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Iceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2013 at 8:55am
Iceman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, Went to Tutukaka last Wednesday stayed at Oceans, the weather was perfect. Explored the area, Mrs was not keen to go for the long walk to fish off by light house area so went to the wharf  and by entrance to the marina. good bites there. got couple decent size KY and small Triv and KY that we let go. seems early morning fishing here was good. Hooked up on a snapper, good size but got snagged on the rocks and got away, was 30cm one too.  It was more of catch and release thing going. Unfortunately had to come back to realty on Friday (back home Unhappy), just as the weather and fishing was getting even better.