guide wanted

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: guide wanted
    Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:45pm
fdive View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Am visiting North Island in October.
Need to hire complete outfit and gun
Wish to hunt and spear Pink Snapper [1 only]
Am from Albany West Australia,highly experienced and fit
A guide would be good.
7/10 to 20th Oct 2013
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:20pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pink snapper being the Australian name for what we call red snapper? Is that right Tuco?

http://www.westernangler.com.au/fishing-info/fish-guide/162-pink-snapper

Fdive - if that's the case a good thing to do would be a Great Barrier Island trip. Quite a few Ozzie chaps have taken their first NZ snapper from there via this guy:  https://www.facebook.com/barrier.boat?fref=ts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:25pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

Pink snapper being the Australian name for what we call red snapper? Is that right Tuco?

http://www.westernangler.com.au/fishing-info/fish-guide/162-pink-snapper

Pink snapper are our normal snapper UJ. At that time of year they are starting to come back in as the water warms. Visibility can be an issue, though it does mean you can get closer! Any RQ trips planned at that time?

Fdive, there are trips to Great Barrier Island which are social, but also produce some good fish at that time of the year.
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:30pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Which are red snapper... aren't they (as opposed to golden)? Or am I just making things more complicated...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 10:00pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

Which are red snapper... aren't they (as opposed to golden)? Or am I just making things more complicated...

The latter - people call golden snapper red snapper in these parts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 10:20pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

baldies
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 10:28pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sadly nobody seems to rent spearfishing gear here. Best bring your own. Otherwise leave a list if what you can't bring and your size and where you will be when you are in nz and we'll see what we can do.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 10:30pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

ocean hunter? don't they rent gear?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:19pm
Doddy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shame your dates are out of sync with the labour weekend trip to GBI Fdive. That is from the 25th-28th october. Would have been perfect. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 9:57pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fdive fdive wrote:

Wish to hunt and spear Pink Snapper [1 only]
With any luck you might be allowed to shoot 3! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 10:05pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How much you weigh and all mate?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 2:23pm
fdive View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

As we old spearos age disgracefully we tend to accumulate a lot of knowledge and extra gear along the way. I'm hoping to meet up with an old fella like me, who can kit me up and take me out and chuck me in to hunt snapper while in Nth Island in October.I may have to buy some gear and if so that's fine but as it would be a one off day out I would sincerely like to make the most of it.
Obviously there will be a price and that's accepted.
I don't how you chaps do your thing but I suspect we will be like minded in our approach though it would be fantastic to learn some new tricks and I might be able to show some of my own.
Whatever happens I'm going to do this and it would be terrific to have the right man or group on side to share my enjoyment and perhaps a nice cook up ,beer/wines afterwards.
My [email protected]
PS The diving in parts of WA are still untouched....a freediving heaven
pps.... I might be getting long in the tooth but still breath  hold ,no interest in air. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fdive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 2:28pm
fdive View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate
Like the sound of your location   178 cms    92 kgs      size 10.5 feet   happy in water around 15m     59years and fit old fella
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 2:33pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I'll take you out. Not on a date; older guys ain't my thing. We.ll do a couple of days somewhere if you can. In return, if I ever find myself in your neck of the woods....dhufish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 9:40am
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think you'll fit in my suit just alright, but I am 187cm and I'm not too sure how that'd affect it. Happy to lend it to you when you come down so long as you don't take a piss in it and give it a clean and whatnot afterwards. I like my suits absolutely piss free. My feet size is also 10.5 so you can use my Ruku fins too and also borrow my gun should you not bring yours. Its a 110 R.A and it shoots nice and accurate. So i guess all you'll need to bring is your mask and snorkel. Use my weightbelt as well. As for guys taking your out, there are plenty of very nice fellas on this forum and I'm sure that they will help you out, if not there are plenty of structures that are just that little swim out. Anyway, keep in touch with me at [email protected] 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 2:41pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ditto as with Daniel, should you venture further South, to Oamaru or Dunedin. I have got spare 5mm suit and guns, etc to sort you out. I'm 1.87, with same size foot. I weigh 85kg...
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)