Raglan report

Page  <1 5657585960 72>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 10:05pm
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks, had considered doing that, but was not first preference as seemed like an invasion of privacy. But by last weekend, after seeing your suggestion decided it needed to be done, and within an hour was talking to owner on the phone and arranging for return. Owner was pleased to be getting it back, working or not, as it was a work phone.

Originally posted by Cliff M-F Cliff M-F wrote:

Fishb8 I would be keen to get an albie update, after your Friday trip. Good luck on the Snaps!

CatchEM. If you want to find the owner of the phone you could try getting the sim card out and putting it into your phone and try phoning the last number used, or "home" or similar. That person will more than likely have the name saved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catch'EM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 10:17pm
Catch'EM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by secala secala wrote:

Hey raglan locals ......... Is there good fishing inside the estuary/harbour this time of year?? Am coming up for a few days with a kayak. Thanks for any advice.

Last Summer Jan to April did well in the harbour, caught Snapper to 56cm and was getting typically 7,10, 12 or so legal Snapper per trip. But 2 weekends ago didn't do so well, Snapper only tiny and just one Kahawai to keep for 4 hours fishing. A workmate tried this past weekend and didn't have much luck either.
Don't know if the warm water temperatures are altering things but last Dec  caught a 29 and a 37cm Snapper from Kayak, the only time fished the harbour in Dec.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 7:07am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Worth a play for kingfish in the harbour. if from the surface where the flats meet the channel if deep LOTS of weight in the deep channel opposite the town. Never tried poppers/surface lures or heard of anyone trying in the harbour but keen to hear if anyone gets any success.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ramcoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:24pm
ramcoed View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out manu bay sun straight out to the 55m middle ground and trolled all the way to the 21.
We got 3 skippys n 2 albys hoping for more for the upcoming beach n boat comp Feb but wasn't to be.albys around 6kg.lost a few as well.jigged the 21 and kept a couple of kings for the smoka.nice day and conditions.
limit your catch not catch your limit!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:39pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a good day out of Raglan on Sunday. around 20 Metres off Carters
Fishing was a bit slow by Raglan standards. Lots of smaller undersized fish, but a few bigger models. 
Still ended up with a good feed. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 8:12am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Fish churbay!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:26pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a day out today - we were the only boat out - I guess the 2 meters on the bar kept others away. Danced my way out and strongest wind 4 knots with the big swells made hilly glass conditions.

Went to 21 and very very small kingis- kawhia for Africa and some super fat.

Had as blue shark steal snapper and gear making us move.

Two nice gummy sharks in the bin. 3 good snapper and 4 kawhia and great sunny conditions made a good day out.

Saw tunas but they wouldn’t take our lures - bugger.

On the way in I had to use GPS to get over the bar as the wave in front was too big to see land and the one roaring behind us had us in a deep hole all the way in.

Pommie guy I was with said it was like being at the pipeline Hawaii haha.

Gezz the extreme enduro performed well. At one stage I was surfing down a face of a wave at 46knots.

It ate it up!

West coast styles

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 1:32pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a good exciting day out Reel Deal,  not sure about surfing down the waves on the bar.  Good to hear someones out there catching a few.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:39am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah Muzzfishing had the back wave catch up to the wave I was on which made me sit right at the crest while waiting for the wave to become green again so I had something to ride down and not just drop off 2 meters of white water. Not an ideal situation but on that bar you got to be ready for all and everything. Dropped the lip and surfed a right break guns down to get to the wave in front while the one I was on broke again....

Years of surfing does give you a certain clarity with your decision making when in the boil.

Eating the last of the fish today - but will be out Tairua this weekend - weather looks rubbish but lets see.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 12:32pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

yeah Muzzfishing had the back wave catch up to the wave I was on which made me sit right at the crest while waiting for the wave to become green again so I had something to ride down and not just drop off 2 meters of white water. Not an ideal situation but on that bar you got to be ready for all and everything. Dropped the lip and surfed a right break guns down to get to the wave in front while the one I was on broke again....

Years of surfing does give you a certain clarity with your decision making when in the boil.

Eating the last of the fish today - but will be out Tairua this weekend - weather looks rubbish but lets see.

This should come with a Disclaimer: Kids don't try this at home, gave me butterflies just reading it Reel Deal.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 9:49am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jumped on a weather window yesterday to get out over the bar. Just flew in 3 hours before so knacked but super keen to get some fillets in the fridge.

Small bar and light winds had 30 odd trailers at the ramp. The sun was out and melted the cold from the bones. Went to 40m mark on the way to the 50. Setting up rods and landed two keeper snaps in 1 minute.
At times pulled up 2 or 3 snapper at a time other times it was Kawahai 3 at a time. A few frustrating tangles - the old man caught and released a 1.2m smooth hound.

Barracuda stuck and I kept for cray bait but the old man made me fillet it for him too eat. There were no worms in it??? First time I’d seen that. But it has odd long bones right the length of the fillet so keen to hear how the old man enjoyed it.

Good to get out on the west coast again - I’m off to tairua this weekend and it looks rubbish...at least I have some smoked kawahai to enjoy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:00pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Everyone,
The Waikato Sport Fishing Club is running a membership Promo,
See below, Pretty sweet deal,
Affiliated Fishing club so you can weigh fish at other affiliated Fishing clubs and head in for dinner etc.

http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:45pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone been out lately? What sort of depth?
Chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Maggoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:53pm
Maggoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Im heading to 55m in the morning, will post a report.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maggoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 3:38pm
Maggoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Slow (for Raglan standards) fishing

Launched at 5.45am took an hour to get to 50m due to sea conditions

Heaps of Dolphins at 40m

Caught maybe 1 snapper at 50m

Moved

53m a couple more snapper

Couldn’t get anchored without dragging.

Went 60m

caught another 9 snapper, 1 x couda 1 x shark

Snapper 30cms maybe 1 at 40cm. Hmmmm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:38pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for that. Doesn't sound too promising.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 9:03am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went out on the Dove (Kawhia) and we all got out limit bags at 54 metres. Back in port by 12,30.
A few barracuta, kahawai and gurnard
Low tide was the best bite time.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 12:49pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Went out on the Dove (Kawhia) and we all got out limit bags at 54 metres. Back in port by 12,30.
A few barracuta, kahawai and gurnard
Low tide was the best bite time.

I take it the Dove is a charter?? What was the size like FishB8
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 4:46pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Biggest was about 15 lb but most in the 5-7 lb range
Dove Charters have 3 boats
https://www.facebook.com/doveclansman/?tn-str=k*F

Mate and I book 3 trips  - mid Oct, Nov & Dec. 2 years on the trot all trips were cancelled due to bad weather. Last year got all 3, one of which had several very sea sick anglers so we fished past our individual limit to give them some fish when they woke up - I would have caught nearly 30 snapper that day!!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Punter-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 12:55pm
Punter-Pete View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out Sat. Launched at Manu Bay approx 6.30. Straight to 54m mark and after an hour for 2 x 5lb snapper we decided to move out to 57m.   Must have found a school of couda as nairly every drop had one of these coming up. Either on their own or hitting half way up with another fish on. Moved about 1km away and had I would call steady but definitely not hot fishing for next couple of hours.   Nothing too big which I guess is good for eating with majority in the 45 - 50cm mark.   Talking with others back at ramp - "slow" was probably the key word.    Still a great day out and when you can still get 25 odd fish of perfect eating size in 5 hours then life is pretty good.
Page  <1 5657585960 72>