Raglan report

Page  <1 5455565758 72>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Punter-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:50pm
Punter-Pete View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Skunk - we got zero sharks and only 2 couta so pretty happy about that.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 2:02pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work lads.
Love the West Coast
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 3:33pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

how far out is 50 meters roughly?
My middle daughter and her family live there and I would like to take my grandson out (9 years old) along with my daughter (her husband is not really keen on fishing especially if the surfs up) but they are nagging me all the time to take my boat down.
Just want to know how far I need to go if I end up going before Christmas?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 3:59pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My charts say it is about 10.8nm from the harbour entrance to the 50m contour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 4:01pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

My charts say it is about 10.8nm from the harbour entrance to the 50m contour.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Punter-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:13pm
Punter-Pete View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've got a 5.5m Ali with a 115hp and I work on around 30 mins each way from Manu Bay.   Can just get to the 52m mark and back on the one tote tank at around 25 knots cruising speed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:57pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers
I have a Fyran 5.40 but a smaller motor so will use more fuel.
After Christmas I shouldnt need to go too far although I would maybe tow some plastic as well

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:58am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Report from Kawhia, yesterday. One of the boats had 160 snaps in 3 hours with some very nice ones, too!
edit
Clansman was heading home at 11.00!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wopass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:49am
wopass View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Lads,

where are the snapps holding at the moment? heading up to rags to take a few work mates out to get into some so hope to show that all my stories are true...ish Wink

was 54m a couple weeks ago so still 50ish??

any heads up would be good

cheers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maggoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:31pm
Maggoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm heading to 50m tomorrow morning. Will post a report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:02am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out on Dove, yesterday at 49 M
Well, had high expectations for yesterday's fishing and started great with 2, 10 pounders, then a big gurnard...then it stuttered and fizzled. Mate and I got got 5 snapper and dome good gurnard so not a blank.

Wind was cold and even got up to nearly 20 knots. Still, that's fishing. Skipper told me 5 charter boats caught 600 snapper the previous day from the same area - no wonder it was quiet. A couple of years back, there were only 2 charter boats so maybe getting too many?

Heard other boats from Raglan coming home earlier than we did. Was it tide of limit bags?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Maggoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 2:03pm
Maggoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got to 48m directly west of Manu Bay around 7am two snapper then nothing for 45 min. Shifted to 52m the tide turned and it was on. Limit by 10am biggest 15lb and a few around 10lb. Surge caused a few issues launching and retrieving, else a great morning out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote wopass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 1:02pm
wopass View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

SPARTA crew went on a mish to rags on tuesday night, slept in the boat in the car park at the wharf the night then the rest of the crew arrived 0630 weds morning

over the bar at 0700 and out to 52m, had a few nice big reds in the chilly, shortly after it went dead, so did some prospecting around and drifted out to 56 where we got another couple, called it and went back in to 50m where i had marked some sign and dropped the pick.

we then proceeded to get smashed on every drop, one after another, nice big fat pannies into the chilly, few 15lb ers and few bigger, few not so big but mostly 50cm fish, couple gurns coup,e ky, NO SHARKS!!!!  amazing mint day

bait of the day was fresh trout i had in the chilly as an experiment, trout got hit before any other bait and best fish of the day on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:06pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out today south of the bar to 50m 2nd drop a 21lb short fat fish for one of the guys and a kawhai for another thought it was all on but only 1 more kawhai in the next hour plenty of sign on the sounder  but shifted anyway north to 52m still just the occasional smallish snap and then around 12.30 they started feeding binned up in an hour and a half one more 20 lber and a lot 12-16,17 lb size great days fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shnorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 5:25pm
Shnorter View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Went out on Friday morning about 8am, there was tons of trailers there, must have been heaps of people off sick that day. Went out to a bit over 50 m, dropped some burley and about 20 mins later reeling in snaps. Biggest landed was about 52cm - a few kahawai and smallish gurnard. We took home about a dozen nice snappers. There was some geezer going hard out at manu bay trying to swap fresh fish for processed seafood?? He was hitting up everyone that came out of the water. Gotta love Raglan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:01pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I popped out Thursday - biggest 10 pounds at 55m and 10 eater snapper and a nice shark for the table.

Had lightening cracking above me on the way in....very dramatic.

Saw a lot of sign cheaper and stopped on it a few times but the fish were of the non mouth variety.

Good to give the boat a good run.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:02am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Popped out again yesterday - again plenty of sign from 27m to 35m with gannets diving. Small Kawhai but serious sign under neath. Sat for 2 hours no bites!!
Moved out to 38m and one shark. Then drifted at 50m and started getting them in the bin. 10 gurnard 6 snapper. Nice day on the water.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:39am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just shows - when you think you've found the spot, then zilch.
That's fishing, eh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:52pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good day at Rags today, Plenty of Gurnard and Snapper Biggest was 67cm water glassed off after midday. Fished at 53m and 50 meters didnt seem to matter fish were still there.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote -mAdfis HO- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:19pm
-mAdfis HO- View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Heading out tomorrow to have a crack with the slow jigs. Heard anywhere between 35m and 55m is where all the action is at the moment. Where has the better fishing been south or north of raglan?
FiShInG rOcKs! ChEeRs -mAdfis HO-

Page  <1 5455565758 72>