Big Snaps in the Shallows - Video added

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (18) Likes(18)   Quote :Hunter: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Snaps in the Shallows - Video added
    Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 6:48pm
:Hunter: View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been nailing a few good fish lately so thought it was time I put up a report.

After a summer chasing round marlin I headed out to Little Barrier at the end of March with the old man to try and get a fish to weigh in the local Browns Bay fishing contest.  After catching some livies on the way out we anchored up in close. Got smashed in the reef by a couple of goodies, and only managed to land a few snaps up to 10lb. 

When the fishing died down during the day I jumped in the water and had a dive, crystal clear water was awesome. Grabbed a few of these while I was there.

Grabbed a few kina while in the water and moved around to a different reef for the incoming tide. Burleyed up the kina and the snapper came on the bite hitting every bait before it could reach the bottom. Caught a couple of kingis too. Right on dark I hooked up to another goody on a whole sweep who arched around straight into the reef. Since we were about to leave we pulled anchor and drove over the rock. After about 10 minutes just as I had given up we managed to drag the fish out, and eventually up popped a nice snap. Weighed the snapper and kingi in for the monthly browns bay fishing club comp and managed to take out first place for both with the kingi weighing in at 12.4kg and the snapper 9.1kg.

After a busy couple of months hunting stags and ducks I managed to get back out for another crack at some big snaps. With the bait tank loaded with piper we cruised out on oily calm seas. We anchored up right in shallow and casted back into the rocks breaking the surface. First run managed to miss the hook. Next run on a whole sweep again and the rod loaded up. After a few good runs the fish arched around towards the anchor making me call it for a kingi. Eventually a flash of red in the crystal clear water had me getting excited as a big red drifted up to the surface. After a couple of issues with the net the fish was in the boat. A quick weigh on the scales had me doubting their accuracy as they bounced over 12kg. 

Fished the rest of the day without anymore good fish, but managed to land a couple of kingis on live koheru and sweep that were released.

When weighed the next day at the monthly comp the fished ticked the scales up to 12.63kg or 27.5lb. A new PB for me and another win at the comp pulling in $400 that might go towards mounting the fish, still deciding about that one, fish is currently wrapped up in the freezer.

Last week I decided to take a mate out hoping to nail him his first 20lber. Filled the tank with piper again before smashing our way through a snotty 15-20kts of SE wind that was forecast to die off. Fished all day with the fishing pretty slow. With a couple of hours before dark we moved into a nice sheltered bay. While my mate was finishing tying the anchor off I flicked out a big chunk of fresh trevally into the bay. With in seconds the bait took off and after a good fight another nice snapper slid to the suface. We weren't in a competition this time, so after a quick photo and weigh the fish was released to hopefully grow bigger. This one pulled the scales down to 24lb. Bit gutted my mate didn't catch it.

For those wondering all these fish were caught on a Shimano Thunnus spooled with 50lb line using circle hooks. I'm sure I hook less fish using this heavy line, but the trade off is I have a decent shot at landing a good fish once hooked up, still get smoked sometimes though which is just part of fishing the shallows.

Video added

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 6:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, great fishing there Hunter. What model Thunnus and rod are you using to haul them out?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote :Hunter: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:10pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers, Thunnus is the new model C14 12000 and the rod is just a Matt Watson Special 10-15kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:26pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:44pm
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish.. awesome Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 7:52pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice work Hunter, some wicked snaps Thumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 8:28pm
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

excellent fishing man and nice big fish there

cheers for report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Macdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 8:28pm
Macdude View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good **** bro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 8:39pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good roundup of some great trips, nice snaps Hunter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 8:43pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done HunterThumbs Up
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 9:24pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow some decent snapper in that mix. bet it feels like a pretty good year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:36pm
Plow View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good effort
Legasea Legend, the rest of you should be too, $10 a month.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 10:50pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great work on the Snaps Hunter, gotta love the" big Freshies" for the moochas ayeThumbs Up
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:22pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great report mate well done some nice fish there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:34pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

excellent write-up Hunter,
congrates on the personal best as well,
love that place, your doing really well considering the hammering it gets now...
hope you win a bottle of Rum for your effort, you deserve it,Thumbs Up
have thanked you...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Greenhornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 12:01am
Greenhornet View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good job, great photos, great write up Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote N' Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 8:35am
N' Joy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Im guessing 50lb  braid, I keep getting dealt to there on 8Kg mono st LB.

Tried the walk the dog technique, (re P Jay and Lethal), but these fish still seem to want to deal to me.. straight back from where they came from rocks.

Nice Work..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Dog Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:50am
Big Dog Fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You the man Brento!! Nice to see you finally release a 20lb'a....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote :Hunter: Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 4:14pm
Gold
Gold

Nope mono, don't like braid around the rocks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:20pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

great fish, very nice photos

Not often you hear of people using sweep as a live bait.  Years since I caught any.  I used to call them grey maomao.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Page  12>