East or West

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pale ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: East or West
    Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 1:49pm
pale ale View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys,
I'm an Aussie coming to visit your Country in November (Be nice Big smile).
I will be travelling with my young family, and as I am addicted to fishing, will cast a line at as many places as possible on our travels.
I cant decide whether to travel the East or West coast of the North Island.  I cant do both, so need to make a decision.
If you were travelling with a young family, from Wellington to Aukland, would you go via New Plymouth or Napier?  I understand this may create a East vs West war with the locals, but any advice on "must see" places for me missus, and remembering my desire to hopefully catch a few big trout / salmon along the way is appreciated.
I'm not going to bring my fly gear, just a spinning rod.
Also would like to do a half day Kingfish jigging charter.
Thanks for any advice.....  If you have any questions about barramundi or marlin in Western Australia, I am happy to share!
Regards
Damien

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 6:12pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would proberly come up the east coast,waiarapa through to hastings/napier,napier/taupo rd can offer some trout spots,then on to rotorua,tauranga then auckland.depends on your time frame.
coming up the west coast is pretty much inland wanganui to newplymouth,then it is inland all the way to auckland unless you take a side trip to kawhia upto raglan.depends on what the trip is about,show the wife our landscape or a fishing trip.something different is to come up to wanganui on to stratford and take the forgotten highway to taumaranui.
no doubt there will be others to offer better advice,enjoyment is the the name of the game
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 11:21pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Gidday cobber. PJC advice sounds good to me. The West coast beaches are pretty wild at times.  Turangi at the southern end of Lake Taupo is a great place to start but the rivers in the Taupo district are fly fishing only. Rotorua also has great trout fishing but unsure of the rules regarding spin fishing. The road from Napier up the coast to Gisborne is ok but travelling north from Gisborne is a long twisty drive through the Wairopa? Gorge. No good if you're into car sicknessBig smile

Some great beaches and driving from Whakatane up the east coast and through the Coromandel Peninsula and Epic Charters are one of the best kingfish charters around based in Tairua I think, dunno I've yet to go on one! Memory Makers or Reel Life Charters are good options for kingfish in the north.

There are great salt water fishing options all over the place but trout fishing is best in the Taupo / Rotorua districts.

Salmon are only caught in the South Island.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pale ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2013 at 1:18pm
pale ale View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your replies!
I better get the map out and do some research!
Have a good weekend!