cray pots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cray pots
    Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 9:41pm
chachi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

does anyone know the best place to drop cray pots from waikawau bay/little bay area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 2:42am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

im guessing your in Whitianga?

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 6:14am
chachi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

no but i am heading waikawau camp for my holidays
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote porkstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 5:52pm
porkstalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Use a VERY small marker buoy and a GPS to find them again. I had endless issues with my pots getting raided on Wgtn south coast back in the 80's. Caught a commercial boat red handed tossing one back very early one morning, harsh words were exchanged....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 6:32pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

try up around Potiki Bay, how long is your rope chachi?

a good idea is to put a small net float or a small bit of polystyrene taped on about 3mts up from the pot this will stop it getting in the road of crayfish entering plus keep it out of the rocks/weeds,
then add a weight below the float 4/5mts down, to make sure the rope sinks and is not run over by other boats plus it makes it harder to see,
make sure the crays can not get to the food from the outside,
try and make sure it sinks even when throwing it over the side,
try to put it on a flat bottom but not more than 2/6mts away from a crack which might hold crays...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing