Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 157158159160161 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 10:06pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Flawone. Less than 10min from Te Toro in 4m of water. Hope that doesn't give away too much smudge.
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 5:47am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Was thinking of hitting there when the weather cleared on Sunday but I told myself the water would be too discoloured Big smile.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 7:13am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ahhh The might home of the Mighty Grunter Hunter! Thanks for sharing. I think I feel a shallow water silly string sesh coming on. All great signs of things to come!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 11:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good day off the coast for us today. Snapper to 16.5lb at 60m with a heap of double figure fish. Let a lot of the healthy looking ones go. Catch squidwings in pink were the lure of the day. 60g jigs in 60m water was a load of fun. Back doing it tomorrow! No gurnard from the harbour which was disappointing but scallops were great.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 7:17am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Fishing and photo's Smudge! Finally good enough to get out amongst them! Conditions look great again today, Good Luck......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BenM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 3:44pm
BenM View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Bit late on this but the conditions that day were great Geoff.

We motored out to the 55m mark, dropped our lines down and after 45 minutes had our limit of fat snaps from 42cm - 52cm. Nothing huge but gee they were in fine condition.

Then into the harbour for scallops in the afternoon, what a life.

Finally on a PC so a couple of photos:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work BenM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:55am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Note on the clams. 

MPI put up signs at bays around the harbour last Monday. 

Usually I take this stuff with a grain of salt but just so happens that one local I know had a feed of scallops the day before and ended up with a bad headache and a peppery/numb taste in their mouth. Wasn't nice for them. What a life eh'.

Also worth noting that many of the harbours beaches are flagged as "unsafe to swim in" this summer

Hopefully the change in government might be positive for the Manukau.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 3:10pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well that's to be expected with all the crap that goes into the Manukau from Clarke's and green bay,wood bay and others. Very sad. My kids will be camping at orua bay with the school in December,I'll be making sure they won't be allowed to swim though.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:16pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well went out on high tide fished till 2pm all for one snapper! missed a couple of bites , agh   60m ,57m 45 m you get the idea   , 11m ,no bait just kaburas and jigs - didn’t work for us this time !!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

I know 4 torpedo fishos that have been out 4 days in a row for no fish,its just hit 18deg out there so the snaps are spawning I'd say,heaps of mullet being caught though. Be a few weeks before they feed up again and come back on the bite out this way,then have another spawn around Xmas or there abouts.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Just one of those days I guess Legacy. Some great catches yesterday!Good work at least giving the jigs a go. Were you anchored or drifting? I use jigs from an anchored boat and that works well for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

Bad time to not have a boat I'd say smudge. Fish will be out too deep for the sea donkey users among us. I can't get em 2.5km from shore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I got this message today:
Hi mate.a lot slower out there today all the radio talk said the same.some getting their limit just taking longer some didn't. We bought home 12 snapper 2 around 4.5 kg and 1 at 5.57 kg released around 10.only the wife and mother-in-law fishing.

Hehe, pretty hard to call that a slow day but we've had the same, headed out expecting a great catch and had to get scallops from the harbour for some dinner Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:40pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We were drifting with a sea anchor out or just putting it into reverse to keep it on the spot. Has been working well for us previously .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 7:44pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

We were drifting with a sea anchor out or just putting it into reverse to keep it on the spot. Has been working well for us previously .

Cool. I have to admit there are y=usually a few baits down when I'm using jigs Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 8:28am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The snapper seemed to have been camped out at 50-60m and feeding hard for a while now. I guess the great run had to slow down at some point.

Has anyone heard of any kings being caught inside the harbour yet?  Looks like a breezy weekend but I am wondering if it will be worth trying for an early kingfish somewhere sheltered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:22am
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We were out yesterday too and were at the 55m mark at about 0730.  Fishing was steady for me on bait (squid).  My mate missed the bite time as he was experimenting with bait on a running rig and only caught one before they stopped biting.  I got 10 with biggest being 56cm (nothing small) and then the bite just stopped.  Moved to 60m back to 50m the 40m 30m etc but not even a bite so back to ramp by 1330 to beat the tide.
A local guy at the ramp had similar experience saying he could see them down there but they weren't biting.   What else could they be doing Heart.  Lovely day out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 10:05am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by AlexRecurve AlexRecurve wrote:

The snapper seemed to have been camped out at 50-60m and feeding hard for a while now. I guess the great run had to slow down at some point.

Has anyone heard of any kings being caught inside the harbour yet?  Looks like a breezy weekend but I am wondering if it will be worth trying for an early kingfish somewhere sheltered.

only heard of the odd one caught /seen over the last few months BUT a friend who has a good view of the harbour rekons he saw three schools of mullet out in the middle yesterday , kingis favorite meal so if they're not here they will be soon .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 12:22pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Legacy.  I've seen the boats out netting mullet so figured if the food's there, the kings likely wont be far behind.

I recall it was early December last year when they came in but the watar temp is a bit up on the usual so it might bring them in earlier.  I've heard rumours they are around, but not heard from anyone who has actually caught one.
Page  <1 157158159160161 289>