Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 152153154155156 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 7:19pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught 16 snaps between 38 and 65 cm yesterday with the sea donkey. Had 18 hooks out with fresh ky. They were out about 2km it seemed. 10 kg of fillets for 5 happy families. Had one around 60 cm that was skinny as,never seen one like that before.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:48am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

another beautiful day out on Saturday, fished the last of the outgoing.  There is still a lot of weed still in the harbour making fishing in any current challenging.  Managed to catch this 5.1kg snapper and a 0.9kg gurnard... and down a few beers in the sun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:36pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice snap Blindspot Clap

Went out with my dad this afternoon , started off at a spot with hopes of gurnard , got 3 and 3 trevs there before heading up to the Papakura .
Chucked down 10 kg of burley and waited for what I thought was going to be a good snapper session ......
Well we waited and waited ....
Dad got a good hook up on something that pulled a fair amount of string but it spat the hook Ouch
About an hour later I hooked up the only snapper we caught in the 2 1/2 hours we spent up there , luckily it went 4.73kg so enough for a feed LOL

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:15pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work boys both those snappies look in prime condition!

We also ended up in the Papakura channel east of the tripod in an area of 20m deep low lying foul that has treated us well on the last couple of visits. We too dropped burley and fought our way through the Manakau machinegun brigade for a good haul of pannies up to 50cm

Fish of the day was this plump mature 43cm blue cod, which is a first ever for me on the Manukau and second this week. Has anyone else ever caught any fat cod in the harbour?

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've seen a blue cod off the coast once but never heard of one from the harbour. Very Flash. Some nice snapper coming in!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 3:23am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awww no , you've found my blue cod spot Ouch Cry

Hope you don't stumble upon my puka spot too !
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:04am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow FlawOne, I thought," Skoti's hole" was just legend...but looks like you've found it.
Nice catches..but where's the Gurnard boys?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:02am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they are there skunk but snapper are the more aggressive feeders so until they leave our shores again, catch will mostly be snapper.  I have had 1 carrot each trip both around .9kg

wow blue cod is an awesome catch.  strangest fish i have caught in the manukau is a cuta.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:39pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dont worry Skoti, you know your secrets are always safe with me.... infact send me through your harbour Puka spot and I will keep that a secret too!

Blindspot - i hate cuda, they give me the ****s along with eels!

I havnt caught a carrot in ages either, but I find you really need to target them to have any decent catches
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:11pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some very nice fish indeed. Skotis Hole sounds like something off that ****e programme on Choice tv people are talking about in the Birney Bar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Blindspot Blindspot wrote:

tstrangest fish i have caught in the manukau is a cuta.

Plenty of coutta in the harbour over winter, they can be a nuisance at times but only show up some years. I caught a coutta on fly at Te Toro years ago. More spiney dogs showing up in the last few years too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Just a word or warning for torpedo users at karioitahi,3 fishers have lost their gear in the last 2 weeks. I nearly list mine on Tuesday,the winch ground to a halt about 500mtrs out,backbone came up very scuffed and a few snapped traces and bent hooks. One mate burnt his winch out trying to get his torpedo back. It seems there are a few logs sitting in the south channel heading up to the heads. I and my mate usually fish a few hundred mtts to the right of the surf club. Also be wary of people using set nets for mullet,using wartatahs to anchor the net on low tide and not pulling them out or not being able to pull them out when taking the net in,I saw it happen myself, twice in the last week. Just thought I'd let people know
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:36pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Inspired by Smudge's weekend success (and failures...) I decided it was about time to give the old Gurnard a nudge. After a lazy start to the morning me and my navigator were on the water around 11am.

Decided to follow the Gurus advice and anchored up in the Shallows in a large gut that feeds onto the Poutawa bank. 5kg of berley deployed and we sat back to enjoy the silky smooth conditions and warm sun rays.
Rod soon began to nod with that familiar rythym and up came a nice 45cm fattie that was sent back for Tangaroa. Next thing my silly string starts peeling and heading for the Papakura Channel! After an awesome shallow water fight up popped this guy.

Unfortunately he was the wrong color and wrong size so back he went. Then again, the Curado started screaming and another wrong color/wrong size was sent back home. By now I was really begining to doubt the Guru's advice..... I thought to myself... Perhaps he is trying to trick me....?

Anyway I peservered for another hour until slack water for no luck or carrots. With the change in tide I relocated to a deeper area 10m in the upper reaches of ropers that has fished well in past. Sure enough, berley down and freezer burnt baits deployed and we were into the them.

Not a huge haul but kept 6 up to the mid 40's for a feed. Majority were caught on an ugly 60lb 3'/0 recurve ledger fished with a sinker on top and a slightly lighter sinker on the bottom.

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:56am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Flawone. We haven't seen a king for a little while but there have been so many in the harbour this year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

Small report from me today. Put my sea donkey out at KT at 7am....first set 5 snams from 40cm to 50cm....OK I thought. I'll have another go,put it back out,went and help a couple of older guys I know with their fishing a donkey...got back to mine and thought hmmm,that's IDD,its only a few hundred meters from the shore, I set it out about 1km,started to pull it in...uh oh,no weight on it....bitten off. Bugger from hell. It was 50mtrs from shore but I can't swim so I sat there for 3hrs waiting for a surfer to turn up,no luck. Then right on low tide a rib comes onto the beach,an ex lifesaving rib,I asked the guy if he could help,he said yep OK,just stick her feet in the stirrups,hold that rope,lean into the waves and we will get it back. My god,I have huge respect for life savers as of today. After the first wave has us almost vertical I yelled "OK I'm out,bugger the sea donkey just get me back to shore". I thought I was gonna die in all honesty, he kept heading out past the breakers ,round the back then back in towards the donkey. He told me we only had one shot to grab it and cut the line,it got snagged on the log I mentioned,after being bitten off. I grabbed it,cut the strop then he told me to jump out,that's when I remembered I can't swim,lucky it was only chest deep. Long story short.....life savers and their boat skills are legendary, and I'm a big flowery blouse,but I'm alive,still have my donkey and will never go on a beach launched boat ever again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:13pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Small report from me today. Put my sea donkey out at KT at 7am....first set 5 snams from 40cm to 50cm....OK I thought. I'll have another go,put it back out,went and help a couple of older guys I know with their fishing a donkey...got back to mine and thought hmmm,that's IDD,its only a few hundred meters from the shore, I set it out about 1km,started to pull it in...uh oh,no weight on it....bitten off. Bugger from hell. It was 50mtrs from shore but I can't swim so I sat there for 3hrs waiting for a surfer to turn up,no luck. Then right on low tide a rib comes onto the beach,an ex lifesaving rib,I asked the guy if he could help,he said yep OK,just stick her feet in the stirrups,hold that rope,lean into the waves and we will get it back. My god,I have huge respect for life savers as of today. After the first wave has us almost vertical I yelled "OK I'm out,bugger the sea donkey just get me back to shore". I thought I was gonna die in all honesty, he kept heading out past the breakers ,round the back then back in towards the donkey. He told me we only had one shot to grab it and cut the line,it got snagged on the log I mentioned,after being bitten off. I grabbed it,cut the strop then he told me to jump out,that's when I remembered I can't swim,lucky it was only chest deep. Long story short.....life savers and their boat skills are legendary, and I'm a big flowery blouse,but I'm alive,still have my donkey and will never go on a beach launched boat ever again.
great tale enjoyed thanks for sharing.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:24pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on ya Fish feeder for giving it a go and a happy endingBig smile Sounds like you s##t yourself  though. Rescued alot with me Mac Boat for a price, your safe if you know wot your doing beachlaunching and when to pull the pin if its to big. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

Boys, I'm just glad to be eating the fish I caught. When I said "OK I'm out" he gunned it. New respect for lots if things today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

The guy that helped me today just stopped by on way into town,after helping me he went out to 1km mark and scored the biggest 3 pb fish he has ever caugt.i had no scales but the biggest I couldn't touch fingers round it's tail trying to pick it up,well done ,big bottle of bourbon for that man,and heaps if big fish. Good result all round.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good on you for the payback FF
Page  <1 152153154155156 288>