Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 148149150151152 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 3:55pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks very much for a few of you tips Roofless & Smudge as put the combination together & hooked up on a nice Kingfish the other week !!

Tried quite a few spots though, but my last ditch effort on the final spot payed off, so i suppose all good things come to those who wait i recon !

Also tried some Gurnard spots but to no avail as only picked up one, but was a reasonable size & had it for lunch that day... Bloody nice as i havn,t had it for a while !!
It was a 4am start so we were pretty hungry when we got back around 10am.

Also some Highlights of the C.S.F.C  Marlin Comp held the other week if you havn,t seen it Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:04pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished solo this morning at South head for couple hrs on last of outgoing tide - 5 Snapper 32cm size lots of bites and a few busts off which could have been good Trevally.
Lots of boat going over bar, paddock at Little Huia almost full when I got back at 10am
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:11pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I should be out there doing it. A marlin due in at Te Toro pretty soon so I'll go weigh that!

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Weighed three marlin 102kg 117kg & 145.2kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

18/2/2017 6:45 - 13:00

After numerous attempts to get some points on the board in our Manukau Kingie comp my mate finally popped his Manukau cherry on Saturday.

We have always struggled to get livies in the Manukau. I suppose its because we lack the patience to go through tonnes of tiny snapper on sabikis. So we decided to drag the net a couple of times at Cornwallis resulting in Piper, KY and YEM's to add to our arsenal. 

Off we headed in high hopes in search of Shane's honey hole that has produced so well in these pages (or Waynes Honey Pot if you ask him..).

We caught the last of the outgoing and deployed our livies at depth and began the drifts. Sign looked good with the odd large arch positioned off the bait schools, but for whatever reason they would not take our offerings. Large schools of piper were seen breaking the surface to further tease us but no cigar. One large KY gave me a breif glimmer of hope but it soon became obvious this was no Kingie.

Once the tide began to turn the call was made to head further out in search of dinner which was soon secured. Not to be put of with the lack of Kingies we tried one last spot off Kaitarkihi on the return to Cornwallis, but after an hour of no show on the incoming, the call was made to head home.

As we rounded Puponga point we began to feel a sense of failure or rather a continued lack of success. So we joked about dropping a jig on each of the 3 markers poles. I am not gonna tell you exactly which one produced but put it this way.. there is only really three to choose from between Puponga point and Cornwallis wharf.

The little mouse went 87cm and yes... that is a 400grm jig that we caught it on in 8m of water... go figure! Either way its 1 nil and I better catch up!

Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Congrats Flaw one enjoyed the tale with a happy ending as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:44pm
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great write up FlawOne!

We snuck out yesterday - went over the bar to 22m and did pretty well on the snapper.  Took 10 home ( returned a few more) and they were all a good size.  Nothing huge but average weight was around 3-4kg.  Heaps of kahawai a couple of small sharks but noticeably no gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 10:43pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yesterday looked like the perfect day for a fish. Got ready quick and headed out for a Manukau trip. Took the long meandering road to Cornwallis. Soon motoring out for a change of light coming up high tide fish.

Tried three spots that should have produced. Nothing,not even a goldfish,and that strange despondency settled over us. How could this be.

And as time ticked by theories of the vanishing fish began to appear. I have never come up with so many reasons as to no fish.

Moved again and settled in about 6 meters. First Rod out and not expecting much began to bait up a second,when to my amazement the first rod shot across the floor and had almost vanished over the side when i grabbed it. Soon a nice snapper was in the bin. . Put both rods out and a hook up on both. Foot on the butt of one landed the first fish ,then the second on the other rod. Mate couldnt help as he was also hooked up. His was a very nice Gurnard.
Suddenly happiness returned .What a difference a fish makes.
Sat out there in the silence of the quiet place,fishing continued. Watched as the sun set over the ranges,the evening haze weaving into the forest, colour of water and sky. A perfect place to be .
Day began to change to night and the tide began to run out. Time to go. Motored in on a  calm reflective sea. Stepped ashore at Cornwalis and the silence was overwhelming . Could have heard a pin drop & Realised just how noisy the city is with its perpetual hum of traffic. So nice to be away from all of that.
Between us we kept 15 snapper ,most in the low to high 30s with best 43 cm to tail v, plus a big Kahawai ,and very respectable gurnard. What began as fishless turned out o.K in the end.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 11:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

A comedy of errors for us tonight. An after work session with a hopeful start time of 5.00pm turned into a much later start after we left the gas tank at home. And the tackle boxes.

Arron shot off home to get the missing stuff and returned with a guard missing off the trailer. dunno where it is now.

We fished in 5mfrom 6.00pm til 8.00pm and grabbed 17 snapper but all between 30 to 34cm so pretty small. Tasty they will be!

Arron snaffled a nice little bronzie and that was it. Pretty good catch of small pannies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 7:47am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for posting - keep them coming!  I am hoping to get out Friday.

Smudge had a chuckle about boat dramas - thinking how many times I have  
1/left Bait/Fuel/Lifejackets/Rods safely at home?
2/Launched without bung fitted or key in boat?
3/ Thrown burly pot or anchor overboard without tying off first?
4/ Hit the gas and lost hat overboard?  Had everything in boat fly into bilge?
5/ Panelbeated trailer mudguards against fence, petrol pump?
6/Launched boat solo and let drift away while parking so I can practise my 50M swimming sprint style?

Think I have done all of the above once sometimes more LOL!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:25am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes it all sounds familar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 10:33am
Titanium
Titanium

Went out this morning for a fish up from red buoy Huia bank - very quiet despite some flow when it is normally active may have been a bit deep so after half an hr and no bites still bait on hooks, moved onto bank and caught 2 plump Kahawai in half an hour in shallower water - lots of sign there and as solo and some work to do pulled pick and headed in.

Boats going past every 5 mins or so heading over bar, paddock at Little Huia 1/4 full at 0930 when I came in.
West Coaster in 2 weeks so will be very busy at Little Huia over that weekend weather permitting.  Noticed every year more boats going out on weekend and beforehand - hope there not putting fish beforehand in freezer LOL for comp!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 11:15am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Caught a 15kg kingi with my sea donkey on thursday,and only 2 small snaps. Maybe that's why there were bugger all snaps around that day. Heard of another guy catching 2 on the same day. First decent kingi for me. Smoking up now
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:43pm
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My wife wants me to take her to the Manukau to collect scallops tomorrow at low tide - pick them up off the banks. Is this actually a thing?

Really dont want to go on a wild goose chase. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J_Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:47pm
J_Dub View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm keen to hear the answer to this because it certainly used to be a thing. Done it a lot when we were kids 20 years ago. It's as easy as that, walk out at low tide and hand pick the scollaps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Arron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:13pm
Arron View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out this afternoon with a couple of mates, got on the water around 3.30, went to Ropers Channel and picked up a bin full between 4 of us pretty easily in 2.5-3m of water.. Had a livie out for a kingfish but only managed a 45 cm snapper, home by 7.30.. Released a whole heap of fish that would've been legal too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 10:21pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 6:06am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Arron Arron wrote:

Shot out this afternoon with a couple of mates, got on the water around 3.30, went to Ropers Channel and picked up a bin full between 4 of us pretty easily in 2.5-3m of water.. Had a livie out for a kingfish but only managed a 45 cm snapper, home by 7.30.. Released a whole heap of fish that would've been legal too.

Nice - good to see Snapper that aren't goldfish in harbour and turning up in numbers now water is warmer too.
(Hope your trailer wasn't bombed by that Brown Bandit - he sounds pretty dodgy!)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 8:38am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got out Saturday for the first time in ages, and headed over the coast for a days game fishing.  Managed to secure the services of some much more experienced crew in the form of Chris and Mike -thanks guys.  It all looked perfect on paper, and when we arrived at the ramp to see the smoke from the steel mill chimneys disappearing straight up into the sky it was a good sign.  The harbour was really flat all the way through, and it was a pretty easy bar crossing too.  Once we got out west the conditions were as good as I've ever seen it, hardly any swell, no wind and a beautiful sunny day.  Chris had word that catches during the week had been from 100m+ so we motored out to 80m before dropping the gear in and heading further out.  We couldn't believe the amount of bait in areas, with the surface absolutely teeming with tuna.  Several boats took the opportunity to fill up bait freezers.  Seemed like there should have been marlin feeding on all that bait, but we counted over a dozen boats there and no one found anything.  We ended up at about 130m out from the river before heading back North.  It was the busiest I've ever seen it out there, with boats everywhere.  As the day wore on the chat on the radio became very predictable and boring -one boat would call another and the conversation would be "how are you doing?"  with the reply "quiet here" -lost count of the number of times we heard that.  At least we weren't the only ones having a quiet time of it.  But with sea and weather conditions that good perhaps wanting some fish as well is asking too much.  As we trolled the gear back towards shore we got the only bit of excitement of the day when one of the lures got hit at the 45m mark.  Somewhat predictably it turned out to be a mako shark, which Mike released in truly expert fashion recovering lure and hook.  I suppose that was one way to get the gear cleared as we were about to bring it in anyway.  We heard of a couple of fish landed and one tagged, which given he number of boats didn't seem like very many.  On the plus side everything worked well, the various new gear I had set up over winter all went well, and the fish we did get hit a lure on the outrigger and the release clips all worked as they should.  I had been carefully watching fuel consumption as it was quite a long day and I've only got a 100 litre tank.  But in the end it was fine, setting out at 8.15am and landing back at the ramp at 6pm not having stopped all day burned 80 litres which I was happy with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good report, thanks Kevin
Page  <1 148149150151152 289>