Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 147148149150151 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 4:40pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Had a go out with my dad yesterday , left Matakawau about 9:30 into a brisker than forecast Sou Sou wester .
Looking at some of the boats anchored it didn't look too comfortable and would only be worse where we wanted to go .
Ran into my uncle fishing off Grahams and he wasn't getting any , so we decided to head up a little further and try there .
No luck there and with the wind against tide swinging our line angles all over the show we headed back to one of Smudges Top Secret gurnard spots in hope of a feed .
Nothing happening there so put down a sabiki for a livebait that took along time coming .
Once I got a jack-mac it went quickly onto a 9/0 recurve with a mtr of 100lb trace , a 5oz ball sinker sitting on the hook running rig style .
Dropping it over the side in 10 mtrs of water , I let a bit of slack out so it can swim about , free-spool , clicker on and into the rodholder .
Well it only lasted a minute before I got hit .
Dad got all the lines in and proceeded to get the anchor in and I had it at the side of the boat , the Torium 20 and BBE rod quickly subduing the fish .
Netted rather than gaffed because it looked a bit marginal , I was surprised when it measured 850mm .
Only fish we kept all day , but plenty for a feed !

I hope that wasn't the same kingi you were telling me about the last time I saw you. Nice catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 5:56pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha , nope different fish LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:00pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think Fenien is right Evil Smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 6:32pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

U lie Scotty beast. I bet that kingy had a gut full of spearmint chuddy ;) . good catch bro. Man I still owe you a fee ,beers for the free nz fishing mags almost 7yrs ago!
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J_Dub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 8:47pm
J_Dub View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can anybody shed some light on the Waikato river. Looking to take a mate up to muddy waters for a beer n a feed this weekend launching from the elbow, any sand bars or shallow points I need to be aware of?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 9:49pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I think Fenien is right Evil Smile
I hope not. I had my eye on that one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 11:19pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out today looking for the kings and found it a little bit harder today both with the livies and the kings managed to get 7 livies in the end and then went hunting for my targets did multiple drifts picked up 2 kings 12 and 13 kilos .
Noticed the water is starting to get better ( not so brown ) I will give it another go on the weekend I think
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 7:05am
AlexRecurve View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work Shane.
Out of interest - are you using jack macks as livies or mullet?  Saw a boat drifting for kings using live mullet as bait this weekend.  Made sense as the last king I caught had a whole mullet in it . .  so wondered if others were using this technique?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 10:43am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished this morning solo early - fished 1.5hrs before low early at dawn, Pupunga point end of Huia bank on bank - was interesting as a lot less current but far more red weed than up harbour entrance side of Huia bank!  Fortunately flow was dropping so weed became less of a problem.  Lovely and calm nice to see after all the wind over Xmas.
42CM Gurnard, 37CM Trev and kept a 32CM and 29CM Snapper in 1.5hrs - threw back a few 29CM ones and 3 or 4 small ones as well.  OK fishing but not big fish, was better in flow.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 8:47pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Trip report from today headed out real early had 7 big livebaits in the tank started our drift ended up with 7 hookups only managed to land 2 kings and kept 1 don't know what we did wrong today dropping the rest , will give it another go tomorrow. Had 1 boat come past me in the dark with only a dull anchor light on real close and on the plane and one boat later on on the plane within 10 meters just to see what I was doing, there is some real dorks out on the water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 9:02pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Roofless, can you please let me know if you could launch a 5.5m tinny off the beach at 1/2 tide (little huia) or would I be pushing it? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 10:04pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

Hi Roofless, can you please let me know if you could launch a 5.5m tinny off the beach at 1/2 tide (little huia) or would I be pushing it? Cheers
yeah mate easy as at half tide in between the red lines is best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 11:42am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its only a problem at dead low but the tide comes in pretty quickly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 3:42pm
Gold
Gold

Yesterdays news . . . .
Spent 3 fruitless hours in the harbour with nothing but small snapper.  Lot and lots of small snapper.  Decided to investigate the bar around midday as the wind seemed to have eased off - contrary to the forecast.  Turned out to be a good move as she was flat so motored out to 22m and spent a few hours pulling in a steady stream of snapper and some buster kahawai.

This was the best of the snapper - went about 4-5kg.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:22pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

well done water looks mint many sharks around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AlexRecurve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:47am
Gold
Gold

Strangely no - first time out over the bar when we didn't catch a single shark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 1:06pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fished huia bank this morning solo for 1.5 hrs before high tide - lovely and calm - paddock at Huia over half full with boats going over bar.  Best fishing in flow (plenty of it big tides today) caught 2 Snapper 30 and 29cm, threw back 2 29cm, had several promising bites which busted off in flow suspected they were Trevally.  Had a feed for me and missus so happy.
NO sharks or Kahawai which is unusual.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 6:17pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still sounds a little quiet then MacSkipper. Want to get out for a run in the boat myself but work is interfering as are beachgoers and SW'ers when I do find the time...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Trouss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 10:33pm
Trouss View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Port Waikato. Thats the west coast aye?
Port Waikato River Monster
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 11:52pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice clip... my money is shark...
Page  <1 147148149150151 288>