Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 154155156157158 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:15am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished yesterday from 11-3, kept 14 gurnard and threw back a couple of smaller models. The water temp was 14.5, the snapper seem to be gone (except the odd small one).  All carrots would be 0.7-1kg so nothing huge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:08pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out first thing today to show a mate my carrot patch with average results they were a little funny on the bite but had a good few hours on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 2:50pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

That's a great catch! I fished hard all day for a measly three! Big smile. Mind you there were probably 80 boats out on our side of the Papakura.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 4:42pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great work Roofless... but I know your secret!LOL
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:34pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow that's a heap of carrots Roofless..
What depth did you get them in?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:40pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just over 5 meters mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:43pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Chur..nice catching
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:34pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Popped out over afternoon high tide as a fabulous day out on my own - 40mins 2 gurnard 48 and 44cm from deep Papakura channel - choice! 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 5:57pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My father fished the Manukau today for 3 gurnard, 2 ky and a couple of undersize snaps.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm jealous, unable to fish this week in the stunning weather because of work. The Weekend looks good though, persistant rain and 30knots of wind. Looking at hitting the water at 8.00am. We hoping to smash our way out to the Papakura channel, put a livie down on the bottom for a king or big snapper and drop some snapper baits. Then we need to find some clean water for a horse carrot. Doing it all again on Sunday. The joys of winter fishing eh? Got to be hard to be a gurnard fisherman!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 11:36am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For those who didn't attend the Manukau Harbour Symposium or didnt know its been running for a couple of years now all the presentations are now uploaded in video.

The video from Trish Rea who is the Manukau rep for Legasea is worth a watch.

Only posted here because there are a lot of users of the Manukau who never venture far outside this thread. Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 6:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks for that Millsy.

We had a great day out today in some challenging conditions. Brown coloured water everywhere we went. Nasty, nasty, nasty wind all day long and not a single fish in the bin.

Fun day though Big smile

Telling it like it is since way back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 7:31pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

For those who didn't attend the Manukau Harbour Symposium or didnt know its been running for a couple of years now all the presentations are now uploaded in video.

Only posted here because there are a lot of users of the Manukau who never venture far outside this thread. Wink

Thanks for posting - enjoyed.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 7:43am
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Battled the elements to catch the last of the incoming tide on the back of Te Tau Bank/Purakau Channel area yesterday afternoon.

Water was very murky from all the rain. Tried a variety of depths from 4 - 9 meters. Caught a Gazillion KY a bunch of baby snapper and not a single Gurnard.

At one point I got caught in a deluge so heavy that had me questioning my sanity when the waitakeres disapared from view.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 9:53am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That sounds a bit sad. Not a single gurnard. Any thoughts on what is going on with them. Have hardly heard of a single decent catch on the manukau all season,including self.

In past years have found this is the best time. Formerly have found big fish ,roed up in July and then slowly declining in numbers into August. However last two seasons has been the opposite and not seen a single roed up fish. Hmmm. Is something changing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 10:10am
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

That sounds a bit sad. Not a single gurnard. Any thoughts on what is going on with them. Have hardly heard of a single decent catch on the manukau all season,including self.

In past years have found this is the best time. Formerly have found big fish ,roed up in July and then slowly declining in numbers into August. However last two seasons has been the opposite and not seen a single roed up fish. Hmmm. Is something changing.

is it the same in the Kaipara?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:48am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont know about the Kaipara Griffo. But would be interesting to compare both harbours.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 3:22pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kaipara is going really good for me at the moment, 20 odd carrots each time I go and last time I fished the Manukau I had a ok catch of them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 9:38pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

Awesome, Thanks for that link Millsy & Trish Rea from Legasea is doing a fantastic roll representing the Manuka Harbor.
I have certainly learnt alot about the Harbor since i have been at Matakawau & i have certainly changed my fishing habits, or should i call it addiction ,since i have belonged to Legasea & i think it has made a difference even for one person to acknowledge that in terms of minimizing waist in fish & handling ones better, that are released back for another day. Also hooks & gear that minimize damage ect.

It is interesting to hear views on the presence of Gurnard in the Manukau & also other West Coast Harbors & i suppose as population grows, our fishing may not be as good as the past ... but with good support with Legasea, can make a difference & turn fishing around for the future, i am positive of that.
As for my advice on fishing Gurnard in the Harbor this year .. all i can give, is you just have to spend more time out their in what you love doing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 9:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We've struggled lately, I guess it is payback for having such an awesome summer of Manukau fishing. On my boat we've gone from the best summer we've had in the harbour to one of the worst winters I can recall.

today was flash but unfortunately I slept in after a late night of being a responsible parent to my son's leaving school party. He had a dozen mates around where they ate pizza, stood by a fire, drank beer and talked loudly.

We hit the water 2 hours late at 9am and we moved 4 times before we caught a fish. It was at the spot where Wayno caught a winner a few years back at the grunter hunter event.

This spot works best toward the end of the incoming tide but we couldn't wait as I had a fishing club event to attend. I wasn't able to attend Lethal's funeral but I made a promise to catch a gurnard on my Tiny Coe rod in his honour and was happy to tick that box with the biggest fish of the day around 1.1kg and 44cm of very fat fish. RIP Eric you good bugger.

We left as the fishing was starting to hit high gear with only 5 in the bin, poor Radman came all the way from aus to only catch a yellow eye mullet.

I last fished two weeks ago and the weather was horrible. Unfortunately the crew were even more horrible!

The next day saw better weather and Skoti and I tried hard for a giant snapper but all we got were gurnard! Who would have thunked that Big smile

Anyway here are some pics from today. Five grunters, better than a kick in the bum!

Page  <1 154155156157158 288>