Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 123124125126127 289>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 2:28pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went out this morning lovely and calm took missus up to Whatipu for a tour then dropped her off and fished for an hr in outer harbour over low - pretty quiet but got a 44cm gurnard again so happy as enjoyed eating last one!

Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 5:09pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sweet day in the harbour today, on the water by 930 dropped the pick over and the fish started slowish but just went nuts we loaded up on snaps they went crazy for the mullet, heaps of fat on the fish and even intercepted a carrot before the it went up the harbour, sorry about that smudge you guys can't have them all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 5:54pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice Snapper their Roofless,

Premo on the harbor this afternoon with some big work ups of bait fish off the point ... looks like Kingies on their tail Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think I'll still be able to find a few gurnard Roofless Big smile. The harbour is fishing very well for snapper at the moment.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:16am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Skoti, Arron and I fished the coast today, great conditions but vey few boats out. We snapper fished at 42m, it was pretty slow tillv1:00pm when it went crazy for 20 minutes. Loads of kahawai and a couple of enormous tope tried to spoil the party but we ended up with lots of snapper and a handful of gurnard. The weather got all gloomy looking so we headed in about 2:00. Biggest snapper was maybe 3kg.

Was a good day out to be sure Thumbs Up
Loads of larfs !
Pity about that seagull that kept pooping on Arrons head and ear LOL
Bloody seagulls Big smile
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

Went out with missus this morning - lovely and calm about as good as it gets!  Pulled up alongside Roofless for half an hour and got 6  Kahawai so went home with a feed, didn't wait for flow to taper off and see what other species turned up.  Photo taken by missus at anchor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote seahunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:58pm
seahunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Weather was too good to miss, so i too went out this morning. Stunning bluebird days, glassy calm and warm... so much better than working!
Picked up as many Kahawai as I wanted in the middle (heading out of Cornwallis). Huge schools there all morning, eating tiny little silvery fish - like whitebait. 
Testing a few usual spots, but not even a nibble. Tide was running pretty strong though - so not too surprising. Kahawai were a bit smaller than the usual monsters, but thousands of em there. Great to see it so healthy - now if only i could catch a few snaps or carrots!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 3:19pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Noticed Kahawai feeding on whitebait like fish in the gulf last week.

They were tiny transparent fish with distinctive dark eyes. Except they were not whitebait,nor pilchards ,nor anchovies. Unless a juvenile form of the last two. Pity about no snaps or gurnard.
Maybe the tide. Have found that unless sitting on banks in 3 meter during run of tide ,my best catches are an hour or so before and after low or high tide
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:36pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Went out with missus this morning - lovely and calm about as good as it gets!  Pulled up alongside Roofless for half an hour and got 6  Kahawai so went home with a feed, didn't wait for flow to taper off and see what other species turned up.  Photo taken by missus at anchor.

After you left tide turned and the snapper went crazy nothing under sized. 6 fat snaps 2 really good sized trevs and a big carrot, had a few waves of that weed come past
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:50pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Roofless Roofless wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

After you left tide turned and the snapper went crazy nothing under sized. 6 fat snaps 2 really good sized trevs and a big carrot, had a few waves of that weed come past
Interesting Shane - thanks for posting as I wondered what would happen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 7:58pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yep guys, it shore was a beut afternoon out their Wink
Picked up a nice size Gurnard & Trevally just on dark with a lot of KY around breaking the surface !
Will be heading out again in the morning to try the banks off the Papakura channel .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:31pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got a nice fish out their this morning, so pretty stoked with the fog & the GPS not failing ,even waved to the cement boat!
^ snaps kept were of good size & up to a teaspoon short of 8 pound.
Thought it at first to be a Ray as it took off right along the bottom, but then the tuggin started.
Spent a lot of time just up from the Papakura channel & got some nice Snapper but allsow a lot of very young ones, so then moved up into the guts then got onto some bigger Snapper!
The fog was so thick you could see nothing all around me & the noise of all the fish activity breaking water all around me was loudly heard to almost an airy feeling!
Can,t find many Gurrnard yet But know doughty
 water is still very warm in the Harbor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice fish Gerald, they gurnard won't be too far away now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:02pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a good harbour fish Gerald - well done Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 7:35pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

After catching wind of Smudges Snapper success last weekend I decided to take my lady and try our luck in the 'Snappakura' channel today. Arrived in the area around the tripod on the top of tide as the flow began to drop. Had a good motor round and settled on a depth of 16m that showed some promise on the sounder.  We fished for a couple of hours for plenty of hearty Kahawai but no target species took a liking to our offerings... As the current picked up our enthusiasm dropped!

Decided that it was time for a change and off we went to sharpen our Grunta hunting skills in a favourite gutter that has produced some lovely specimens in past seasons.  This gutter must drain a large area of the Karore Bank into the 'Snappakura' channel as it is fairly wide and has a nice flow and consistent depth of around 5-6m on full tide. Gurnard rigs on and old mushy kahawai applied! 

Next minute the silly string is going off as 100m of braid peeled of the reel in what felt like seconds. Nearly made the call to up the anchor and give chase as my backing began to show through but I slowly managed to gain back control of the fight and get the fish head on into the current. Finally we were greeted by this guy, not huge, but after a few years of fishing the Manukau is now my PB snapper!

What an awesome day, on an awesome harbour in Paradise!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 7:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Flawone, any measures on that snapper? Did you get any gurnard?? I like that 'Snappakura channel' Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 8:28pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snappakura I like LOL
Well done Flawone Clap
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:00pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff FlawOne and congratulations on the PB Thumbs Up

Hopefully my turn tomorrow to get a few Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 10:30am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had a good trip out yesterday, left at 8 back at 12:30 with some 40+ cm trevs and snapper.  I have not caught a gurnard since last year... a little worrying.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 2:13pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for report Flaw one and Blindspot.  I went out over high yesterday was hard work and struggled with red weed and gold fish - was reminded afterwards of what Redfinger (when trout fishing with him on Lake Taupo) said - if no bites or hook-ups within 5 or 10 minutes try something else  - either lure/bait/location - what I will do next time.  Think I was in wrong location - first spot shallow no flow but no bites, second spot very deep a lot of flow and red weed, should have tried somewhere in between depth wise I think, big tides may rule out some spots?  Cheers
Page  <1 123124125126127 289>