Manukau Harbour & West Coast fishing

Page  <1 114115116117118 288>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zexy Irish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 12:44pm
Zexy Irish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome catch buddy Clap. Were you fishing in the purakau channel not far from the last green marker?
Live Life To The Fullest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 2:01pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Zexy Irish Zexy Irish wrote:

Awesome catch buddy Clap. Were you fishing in the purakau channel not far from the last green marker?
Yes not far from that marker, bit of a hike from Mangere Bridge I think about 10-12km but worth it today.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roofless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 4:54pm
Roofless View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys I found a anchor, chain and about 28meters of rope I would like to return it to the owner so if you have lost a one it the last few weeks pm me where you lost it and what you have done to it and we can arrange a pick up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Nah it wasn't rough Big smile

Or wet .......  LOL
I'm sure you have some other pics to post Wink

Maybe

But at least we had Len Brown on board to settle things down

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 10:23pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Shot out solo this morning Mangere Bridge - turned up at 6am - digger had just arrived to clear mud at bottom of ramp over 725am big low tide.  Launched - fished for an hour red weed beginning and end of session, slack water was just under an hour, spent 20 minutes clearing multiple tangles as multiple hook-ups both lines, result?  7 Snapper kept 31 to 38 cm size threw back about 10 29-30 cm.
Choice Big smile!
nice one Mac, Those are good eating fish right their !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TimTheEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 10:12am
TimTheEagle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice story Smudge.  From the Go Hard or Go Home section.
At least Len Brown was onboard sorting things out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I had a very hard day on the muddy today with my son and his mate. )ne 36cm snapper and two gurnard. Red weed was a problem and the harbour was a mess with the 15knot easterly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 6:55pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a very hard day on the muddy today with my son and his mate. )ne 36cm snapper and two gurnard. Red weed was a problem and the harbour was a mess with the 15knot easterly.
Interested to hear that you had a tough day - I  always wonder whether to post when going is hard but like to hear news good and bad and hope you all do to. That red weed is a pain in the flow. 
Are you noticing a lot less Kahawai around than normal this year Smudge or is it me?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:46pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Keen Blokes to go out on an Easterly  Smudge !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:00pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had a hard day on saturday, struggled for livies so towed rapalas all the way out to paratutae island for no joy, spotted a rat in the shallows near little huia but could raise a bite. Settled back in the never fail Te Tau bank spot which also proceeded to fail. Day was saved by schools of kahawai in the Purakau channel which provided good fun for on the light spin tackle. They were all chocka and spewing up small whitebait like fish on capture.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We havent been catching many ky but we were seeing plenty feeding in the Huia banks area when we've been through. I think it is important to post up the bad days too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 7:36am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Interested to hear that you had a tough day - I  always wonder whether to post when going is hard but like to hear news good and bad and hope you all do to. That red weed is a pain in the flow. 
Are you noticing a lot less Kahawai around than normal this year Smudge or is it me?

Hey MS ... surely reporting when the fishing is hard is just as important or even more so, as posting about our "glory days".

I think so anyway, if for no other reason than to make the rest of us that had a bad day feel a bit better.

For what it is worth ( I know this is the Manukau sector so apologise ) was out on the Gulf Tiri way on Friday & experienced the poorest fishing for a long time, which was a pity as took a young guy for his first time ever for boat fishing. Spent hours out there in the burning sun, tried heaps of various spots wide out, close in, deep, shallow & apart from one solitary 35 cm snap all we would have got otherwise was sunburned. Unfortunately there was constant frenetic action where ever we went from sub 30 cm snaps & the legions of coromants ( shags ) laying in wait for a free meal, had never known it so good.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:31am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We haven't been catching many ky but we were seeing plenty feeding in the Huia banks area when we've been through. I think it is important to post up the bad days too.

Huia banks is the only place I've seen them also and they're not that big. All my got to spots for ky have failed, keeping in mind I only fish very skinny water. Generally for me the fishing has been poor to crap this last month, other than a handful or so kings. Small snapper were like a plague for 3 days straight recently but I don't really dig snapper period so although they broke the silence the smelly little fish were not that welcome.

I was entertained by a jet skier yesterday who (presumably) saw where I was at and attempted to head over for whatever painful reason. I said to the mate, "watch this clown, there is no water over there". Sure enough, the sound of high pitched revving filled the air and the jet skier came to a grinding halt. I mentioned that although jets can operate in shallow water, this is only when they are planing, like most craft. This guy (by now I was watching him through the bino's) then starting to push his craft away from the channel and further into the shallows? I guess he saw the remains of a pond in there and thought it was the way out. The tide was falling and on a 4.2 falling fast. I further commented I hope he has lunch because it is going to be a long hot day and with the wind increasing a crap ride out of there. We eventually left this lonely little sad silhouette figurine on the horizon and headed home. I did observe later from the terrace that the channel was in fact crappy and wondered how this sad individual was fairing... ...but the thought didn't last that long as I flipped the page of the local rag and read that a jet skier hit an 11yr old kid on the Waikato river. I almost hoped he had become bait for the resident Mako.

2 cents.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:50am
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Millsy Millsy wrote:

We haven't been catching many ky but we were seeing plenty feeding in the Huia banks area when we've been through. I think it is important to post up the bad days too.

Huia banks is the only place I've seen them also and they're not that big. All my got to spots for ky have failed, keeping in mind I only fish very skinny water. Generally for me the fishing has been poor to crap this last month, other than a handful or so kings. Small snapper were like a plague for 3 days straight recently but I don't really dig snapper period so although they broke the silence the smelly little fish were not that welcome.

I was entertained by a jet skier yesterday who (presumably) saw where I was at and attempted to head over for whatever painful reason. I said to the mate, "watch this clown, there is no water over there". Sure enough, the sound of high pitched revving filled the air and the jet skier came to a grinding halt. I mentioned that although jets can operate in shallow water, this is only when they are planing, like most craft. This guy (by now I was watching him through the bino's) then starting to push his craft away from the channel and further into the shallows? I guess he saw the remains of a pond in there and thought it was the way out. The tide was falling and on a 4.2 falling fast. I further commented I hope he has lunch because it is going to be a long hot day and with the wind increasing a crap ride out of there. We eventually left this lonely little sad silhouette figurine on the horizon and headed home. I did observe later from the terrace that the channel was in fact crappy and wondered how this sad individual was fairing... ...but the thought didn't last that long as I flipped the page of the local rag and read that a jet skier hit an 11yr old kid on the Waikato river. I almost hoped he had become bait for the resident Mako.

2 cents.

I was out on the muddy one late evening last year and saw a jetskier high and dry on the banks too. At first I was going to go past and leave him there knowing high tide was at midnight and let him find his own way home. But instead spent the next 2 hours with him and his mrs pushing the ski back inch by inch. I figured if I help this guy, if I ever need help one day someone will be there as some good karma.

Well done for not helping Millsy. Lets hope karma doesn't come visit :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Millsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:02am
Millsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

When I say high and dry, I meant high and dry. He would have needed a heli. Even if I wanted to help this fool (and I didn't) I would have had to walk 2km to get to him.

I was involved indirectly in rescuing some islander who was waaay out of his depth at night wading miles from shore with no idea where he was in the last month so keep your karma talk clown and thanks for reminding me why I don't bother with this forum. I should add, I was likely rescuing people and identifying remains of the ones I didn't when you were shi#ting yellow "peeda". You're welcome.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 6:51pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah I think it is easy to say 'good job' but spare a thought for those who knock on doors to tell harmless folk their loved ones have drowned. Spare a thought for the 'idiots' families too.

I put up my hand and say I have done many stupid things in my life, some simply because I didn't know. It is npo crime to be naive and I  hold those who help others in very high regard.

I helped in a rescue once and i have no doubt I saved some 'idiots' life. I saw that person as in the wrong place at the wrong time but in these days of social media I wonder how it would have played out. The more I thought about that event the more I convinced myself there was something more sinister involved.

Millsy, I appreciate your input (sometimes in conflict with mine Big smile) but please don't let a thoughtless comment keep you out of the Manukau report. it's all about sharing afterall and we all say stuff we shouldn't at times.

Ohhh and I'm really sorry for yelling out to you EVERYTime we see you at Big Bay and suggesting that we buzz you when we see you practicing your art.

Nah, i'm not sorry really LOL but of course we never would.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:42pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Come on guys this is a thread about fishing the harbour and coast we have all come to love!

Heres my 3 cents.

Managed to redeem ourselves today after work at 20m off bethells beach. Full bins for three of snaps, kahawai, gurnard and kingies within 2 hours. Nothing huge but all perfect specimens. Also no sharks which was great because my mate realy hates the toothy critters and I end up handling them!

Best of all my mates newly purchased blackdog cat handle the launch into 3-5ft surf and the 15+knt winds with ease. Tough as little boats!
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:51pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go the west coast!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Club Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:22pm
Club Matt View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by FlawOne FlawOne wrote:

Go the west coast!

Great fishing right their Flaw One , I here those boats are Awesome.

Had a nice feed of Trevally Fillet last night .... Bloody Awesome taisting
Vac packing is the way to go -Mars- , shore makes a difference Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 11:22am
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Millsy, fair enough I apologize as I didn't know all the facts (eg. how far on to the sand bars they were).. And you've obviously done your fair share of help on the harbours! :) 
Page  <1 114115116117118 288>