Friday Fishing from Fongaparaoa

Post Options Post Options   Likes (16) Likes(16)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friday Fishing from Fongaparaoa
    Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:33pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I had a call from Grunta the other day it went something like this:

"Smudgie! The weather is looking terrible for Friday, I'm thinking of going fishing on Diversity, are you in??".

'Well that depends Grunta, I don't go fishing with just anyone you know, who else is going?' . Grunta reeeld off a who's who of the fishing industry with a couple of fishing.net names thrown in for good measure - perfect!

'Ok Grunta, I guess if everyone is keen to fish with me, I'm in'. I replied trying not to sound too excited.

'Meet at Diversity, Pier Z gulf Harbour at 6.50 Smudgie & don't be late like the last two trips!" said Grunta with a stern tone to his voice.

With those words ringing in my ears I forsook the traditional maggot pack at the Service Centre on SH1 and went straight to the big boat. First one there! Yeah! More satisfying than a Warriors victory that was. Next to turn up was John Eichelsheim of NZ Fishing News. A real gent & a great fisherman, it was good to have him onboard with us again. A couple of minutes later and everyone else was on board except for Boulder. So far we had myself, John, Grunta, Tony Wheeler, Spencer Roff, Bruce Duncan, John Elliot & Peter Tracey.

Boulder had been 'held up' by an Armed Offenders Squad road block, luckily though he slipped through the net (must have been a HUGE net Bouldie Big smile). Pretty soon though we had Boulder on board but while we were waiting I tried my best to talk Tony into taking Boulders corner on the good ship. Boulder always claims the spot on the forward  port side, conveniently located close to the flushing toilet on Diversity. Tony, although not a frequent fisherman wasn't born yesterday and didn't rise to the bait.

Boulder turned up in good time & Captain Chris went through his safety brief and we were underway on a dead flat sea. Within a minute we were out of the marina and facing ever worsening seas and some shoddy looking weather. Perfect!

A double rainbow had the cameras clicking away, a really beautiful sight in the early morning.

As usual we drifted the middle ground somewhere between Tiri & Little Barrier in around 40m, the only difference between this and a typical Diversity trip is the fish were only small.

Tony got the first good fish

As the drift progressed the fish slowly got bigger and soon Spencer landed the fish of the day.

The pics as always don't do the weather gods credit, they literally worked up a storm for us with the rain hosing down for a time. it would be more accurate to say the rain was hosing in because it certainly wasn't going straight down - it certainly had a sideways aspect to it.

Despite the weather it was a very enjoyable trip and what I learned from of it was that although we considered the fish small and the fishing only average, we all took home some lovely pannies with an average size of 40cm or so. Am I spoiled or what? What a wonderful place we live in, going out in less than desirable but perfectly safe conditions with a bunch of great blokes and getting some of the nicest tasting fish in the ocean.

Without a doubt inchiku jigs were the go. My choice of Gulp Crazy Legs wasn't a bad choice though and along with the obligatory nuclear fowls the soft baits dealt to a fair few fish. Smelly baits came a distant third, producing plenty of fish but almost universally throw backs.

Straylining expert Bruce Duncan was the first to give baits a go, wisely opting for a dropper rig and circle hooks which are ideally suited to the conditions. I tried the same setup, as I usually do but soon reverted to soft baits with Bruce going for the inchikus.

Here's Peter and Bruce sharing a special moment:

I've been lucky enough to fish with most of these guys before and one word of advice I consider to be the most important of all  when it comes to fishing tips is this - fish with as many different people as you can and learn from what you see them do.

I've learnt a few things, Grunta is the perfect host and a takes a the best fishing pics - he even knows how to fish!

Boulder is the keenest angler I've ever met, he once turned up on a Diversity trip the day after returning from a two week YFT expedition in the Gulf of Mexico, absolute legendary stuff.

Spencer always has an inspirational tale from the Kaipara that somehow makes me feel guilty for not returning to the place that taught me the gurnard code and is a real nice guy to fish with.

Tony was on his fourth trip ever on the sea but his freshwater skills he brought over from Missouri ten years ago did him proud, catching some nice fish.

I have never fished with Bruce before and he was using tackle that would look right at home in my shed. He did have a fancy little yellow rod that he used to devasting effect when he conceded baits weren't the best option for the day, proving he has plenty of tricks up his sleeve.

John Eichelsheim really knows how to fish a soft bait, his hook up rate would be twice that of mine, using lighter braid, lighter jigheads and is a good guy to fish with and learn from.

John Elliot - this guy deserves a medal. I've fished with a lot of people and while everyone has their day, each time I've fished on Diversity with John he has consistently caught more fish than anyone, His secret? Well he uses Daiwa tackle and Daiwa Pirate jigs exclusively but there's more to it than that, others use the same gear too.  He has a sixth and seventh sense, the man is a freak and I mean that in the nicest way possible. A great guy and a truly great fisherman.

Peter is a mate of Grunta's and these two make a great tag team - plenty of laughs and friendly rivalry and that is the best learning of all, fishing has to be fun.

Captain Chris of course is an integral part of the Diversity experience, looking after his clients very well. It's a little strange having someone net your fish, iki it, remove the hooks and put it on ice when you're used to doing all that yourself, the guy works hard for his money and made the day a very enjoyable experience even in driving rain and lumpy seas, way better than work. Thumbs Up
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:42pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice report Smudge!
Clap
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 11:06pm
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good read SmudgeClap.
 I liked the summary of all the "characters" on board. Right on the money for the ones I knowSmile.

We were supposed to go out on Friday and were pleased we didn't. Now I look at the fun you guys had and I'm thinking, "what did we miss?"Confused
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 12:45am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see no gurnard Confused

Better than work though Thumbs Up
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OffTheHook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 7:52am
OffTheHook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome fellas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:49am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

You write the best reports Smudge and that was a fairly reasonable summary of the days events. Almost like being there.....

Always a great day on Diversity  - not only do the boys put you on the fish but the company and banter is always exemplary! Good lads and great fun even with the gnarly weather. Thanks Damo & Captn Chris for another 10/10 in the fishing log!

The catch had been salt-iced down in the chilly and left until yesterday morning to fillet. After an overnight on salt-ice the fillets are a beautiful thing - vitually no blood whatsoever and nicely set.

Thought I'd share what happened to them last night.

A mix of a little flour, cajun spices and some chilli/lime seasalt into a bag with a bit of flour. Toss the fillets and throw on a plate.

Into a frypan with some lemon infused olive oil and a little butter and heat unitl almost smokin. A little butter just gives some colour to the fillets as they cook.

In with the fillets. Less is more - don't overcook. Flip when just golden brown then turn the heat off and the other side will just cook thru.

Other stuff
Get a flat loaf of olive bread and cut into two flat wide pieces. Baste one side with olive oil/garlic mix and bung in the oven at 150ish until it goes golden brown then turn over and baste other side and repeat.

Salad as you like it, I like to add a mix of red onion, feta tomato, balsamic/lemon infused olive oil as a side dish to a pretty basic salad that you can layer on top of everything.

The baked bread gives a bit of texture and crunch and is a great friend of the fish & salad. The snapper were in superb condition............very niiiice!

Online...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 9:50am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I must learn how to cook, that looks real nice Grunta Thumbs Up but yeah, the way fish is handled, killed, iced down and left overnight on ice only makes them taste even better. Even in winter, ice is one of the most important things to have on the boat.

No gurnard Skoti, it was almost exclusively a snapper fest this time, one small kingfish and a lonely barracouta. Tell you what though, this cold snap should have those red grunters jumping on board my little red boat next weekend Big smile.

Of course I left a couple of things out of my report, mainly because I was trying to write it while watching the Warriors slide down underneath the NRL table and partly because of the Castlepoint influence....

Usually I at least check my gear before going out on a fishing session and this one was no different. I put new trace on my rod and had a hard time tying a good knot. That happens with me sometimes. Anyway I tied what looked like a reasonable braid to fluorocarbon leader. On the boat I tied a uni knot onto the worm hook only to have it let go on an average fish. A re tie and up for the same result. I changed the trace to mono and no more problems. The fluorocarbon trace appears to have seen better days. Apparently it doesn't last for years Big smile.

Having used the rod only a couple of days earlier on a ky session I didn't do much of a job checking that either. The reel had gone from it's normal smooth self to a drag that was more like an on off switch! I guess a little of the torrential rain had found its way onto the drag washers. Always check your gear!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:08am
Southern Man View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice report Smudge. It was a great day, though I was disappointed you couldn't nab a Gurnard. Grunta, as Smudge says, terrific hospitality as always - many thanks. Diversity and Chris - great charter...again.
Mai Pen Rai
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote F1SH3N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:50am
F1SH3N View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great report smudge, well conveyed and summed up.  You forgot to mention fishing through the 30kn squall in driving rain while the majority ducked for cover :) . Right gumboot fulling with water...

A good reminder while playing the kingie to check your gear as the 3rd guide on my rod was slowly stripping the braid, lucky the braid and I didn't have a parting of the ways. But will only be a matter of time if not fixed.

Great hospitality again Grunta, the Bacon and Egg pie was the bomb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:12pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Top notch guys, cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 6:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done chaps top report and crikey Smudge I wonder when your secret weapon the big green cotton handline with 16/0 dropper loops will find its way aboard the Big DLOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Great idea Catchelot, a hand line challenge!! Great idea Big smile