Cost to turbo a nissan safari?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cost to turbo a nissan safari?
    Posted: 06 May 2013 at 5:20pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi there anyone here ever coverted a non-turbo nissan safari to a turbo?

Looking at what it would cost to do the job for parts and labour included.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grim Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 6:31pm
Grim Reefer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I did it 3 years ago from memory it was round 4k, it included new fuel pump (common problem in non turbo models)and all relevant parts as well as some exhaust mods as car was worn out! Tauranga diesel were the guys who took care of it and we're great to deal with.
The outcome was one very powerful truk which now was able to overtake while towing.
Sold the truk shortly after so can't comment how it held up over a long term.
Previously Rodzilla, new boat new name.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:25pm
junior fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wouldnt the compression ratio be too high in an normally aspirated engine to put boost through it? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote useless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:34pm
useless View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

fitting a turbo kit to a non turbo safari is fine, if anything, they go better....dont forget the $500ish for cert...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:47pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by junior fisho junior fisho wrote:

wouldnt the compression ratio be too high in an normally aspirated engine to put boost through it? 

In a word -  no. CI motors are high ratio and you don't need a great deal of boost pressure to increase the torque.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:50pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rodzilla Rodzilla wrote:

]I did it 3 years ago from memory it was round 4k, it included new fuel pump (common problem in non turbo models)and all relevant parts as well as some exhaust mods as car was worn out! Tauranga diesel were the guys who took care of it and we're great to deal with.
The outcome was one very powerful truk which now was able to overtake while towing.
Sold the truk shortly after so can't comment how it held up over a long term.

Mine was done 12 years ago and still runs like a demon. It made the sort of difference between a IC and a CI motor. Got the exhaust done, the rings done and all the guff at the same time to cope long term.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shrmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 8:12pm
shrmin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We used to run a diesel in our Nissan Safari race truck, the standard engine will cope with a turbo up to around 12psi without an intercooler, if you want to run an intercooler you can run up to 22psi fine. I actually have a turbo manifold to suit the petrol version if your interested, it'll bolt straight on to the diesel. There's a guy up Pihia called dsr turbo that sells a turbo to suit on trade me for a reasonable price. Avoid the fabricated tube manifolds, they tend to warp quite a bit. The standard fuel pump is fine for low boost applications, you can wind them up enough to make good power without having to touch them.

Mike
There are 3 kinds of people in this world....Those who can count and those who can't!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:46pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I grafted a skyline turbo on to mine years ago, what a difference.
I am about to buy a y61 Patrol, factory turbo. No doubt I will end up fiddling with the boost and fuel pump.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:48am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ive heard of the TD4.2 running over 35lb boost safe as,running 35inch tyres sorta needs that turbo.I wouldnt even bother with a cert unless for insurance,they didnt have bigger brakes in the turbo i think,so youre not theoretically driving a unsafe vehicle ,if the brakes are good enough to stop both models reguardless,id still feel safe. But a lvc will be best way,anything more than a 20% increase in power then its needed.Easy bolt on job...check out www.offroadexpress.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:43pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for all the info much appreciated, i think based on what i have heard it would be worth doing. Had a quote from one place who said 7k which seemed ridiculouse for kit and install so have tried to find just the kit and then will get someone to install.

I tried searching for kits for sale online and the only one i could find online was $1600 shown in the link below, be good if someone could hyperlink it for me.

http://www.cozziemomotorsport.co.nz/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=76_147&product_id=3197

Is this everything that is required or is this incomplete? Also anyone had one of these kits installed? Don't want to just buy rubbish just because it is cheap.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:07pm
junior fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I want to do the same with me tractor- who makes a turbo kit for a 60 horse John Deere? Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:11pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dunwurkn, I guess the real question is how mechanically skilled are you?

The necessary items are, exhaust manifold, the turbo itself, exhaust pipe to a point where it will bolt up to the original point, oil lines, oil drain lines, air intake adapters, or replacement intake system, possibly coolant lines. All with the relevant instructions on how to fit it all, plumb it up and then tune it.

For some the above would be simple, for others, near impossible.

How much would you be able to do yourself? If your talents are not in mechanics, then I would suggest just paying someone who knows whet they are doing, and get it done.

There are probably dozens of kits available in Aus, Safari is one brand of kit,

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/turbo/td42_gq/sttd42-u.htm
http://www.axtturbo.com.au/td42_42l_engine.html
http://www.turbonetics.com.au/TD42.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:16pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking at that kit you listed Dunwurkn, it has no where near all of the items needed, and that exhaust manifold is fabricated, not as good as the cast iron ones.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 8:22pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shrmin shrmin wrote:

I actually have a turbo manifold to suit the petrol version if your interested, it'll bolt straight on to the diesel.
Are you saying the cylinder head ports are the same configuration on a 4.2 diesel and a 4.8 petrol motor?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:48pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Shrekky Shrekky wrote:

Dunwurkn, I guess the real question is how mechanically skilled are you?

The necessary items are, exhaust manifold, the turbo itself, exhaust pipe to a point where it will bolt up to the original point, oil lines, oil drain lines, air intake adapters, or replacement intake system, possibly coolant lines. All with the relevant instructions on how to fit it all, plumb it up and then tune it.

For some the above would be simple, for others, near impossible.

How much would you be able to do yourself? If your talents are not in mechanics, then I would suggest just paying someone who knows whet they are doing, and get it done.

There are probably dozens of kits available in Aus, Safari is one brand of kit,

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/turbo/td42_gq/sttd42-u.htm
http://www.axtturbo.com.au/td42_42l_engine.html
http://www.turbonetics.com.au/TD42.html

Thanks il check out the links. Lol Not enough to try install a turbo kit so i will be paying someone to do the job, just need to find e good kit first at a reasonable price.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:27pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

safaris rule . i am going to get another one soon and will definatley be looking for one with a turbo, and long wheel base , low roof , leather seats , manual , raised etc etc .... 

if not a factory turbo which are the good turbos ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shrmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:28pm
shrmin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

Originally posted by shrmin shrmin wrote:

I actually have a turbo manifold to suit the petrol version if your interested, it'll bolt straight on to the diesel.
Are you saying the cylinder head ports are the same configuration on a 4.2 diesel and a 4.8 petrol motor?

Yes they are the same for the 4.2 petrols and diesels and the 4.5 petrol. The 4.8 petrol is a totally different head as far as I know.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world....Those who can count and those who can't!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shrmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:35pm
shrmin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

safaris rule . i am going to get another one soon and will definatley be looking for one with a turbo, and long wheel base , low roof , leather seats , manual , raised etc etc .... 

if not a factory turbo which are the good turbos ?

The safari & atx kits out of Aus are both very good kits and will make more power than factory, the DSR turbo kit also seems to be pretty good and is a lot cheaper. We actually bought a DSR turbo kit to put on our petrol safari that we race, the manifolds they supply are a top mount turbo manifold, we wanted this because it's easier to get at the turbo to work on it. The Safari and ATX are bottom mount kits, the same as the factory one's. The spare manifold we have is our old bottom mount one. The DSR kit came with everything needed to do the install and they're pretty simple to do yourself. We never ran that turbo because it's was too small for what we needed, we run over 20psi and get approx 350hp and the back tyres. I sold the actual DSR turbo a while ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 6:53am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

shot shrmin thats some good info . 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:59am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All the y60 safari engines are the same size,there is no 4.5ltr till the y61 safari,the y60s are a TB4.2e petrol and TD4.2 diesel and TD42T turbo.
If you will be towing it would be wise to get a bigger trans cooler,and pyro guage to monitor exhaust temps I would say.
Go for top mount as mentioned
Page  12>