Mahi Madness

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mahi Madness
    Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 11:05am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are just coming off 5 weeks of straight back to back charters here in the Bahamas and the fishing has kicked into high gear! It's hard to go more than 15 mins without Mahi Mahi coming in and smashing all your baits. from the last 11 fishing trips we have done recently we have filled the box within 2 hours every time. We limit ourselves to 6 fish when we are fishing with guests as there is only soo much Mahi we can eat.

A special highlight so far was a morning we had last week with my boss and his 90 year old father in law.
the day started off really well with the first bait out being eaten before I had even clipped it into the outrigger. we were able to keep that fish close to the boat and the whole school came up. casting small Dawn Patrol lures at them on softbait gear we soon had a very good looking bin and to top it off this 20kg bull came to the party and gave the bosses dad a very good struggle. after 25 mins john was a bit buggered and handed the rod off to my boss to wind in the last 10m! I hope when I am 90 I will still be fishing with a big smile on my face like he had.

2 days later we were out again and got 5 mahi in the box when all of a sudden the big lure on the short corner got some attention. thinking it was another big bull the boss pitched a bait as I cranked the lure..... an epic crash bite then saw us tight on a nice 180-200kg blue on 10kg mono!!!! after 1hr20 we had the fish on the 15ft leader for the 3rd time and cracked him off before we could snap a good pic. Bloody good effort by the boss on the rod and a few interesting moments driving when the fish changed direction. 

it's now time for a few days off playing in the office!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 11:42am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The lure that Marlin ate looks a lot like my 'bog brush'. Purple/black over pink Ilander with chrome bullet head?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 11:56am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats the one dave. It's the weighted one with 4oz head and for pitching I put a rigged ballyhoo inside it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viking... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 1:48pm
viking... View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet mozz, mahis always very welcome! Cool fish especially on light gears
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:04pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very cool Mozzie..Thumbs Up..I guess you answered your own question that you put on facebook the other day about marlin in your neck of the woods!

hope all is well mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:34pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mozz mozz wrote:

Thats the one dave. It's the weighted one with 4oz head and for pitching I put a rigged ballyhoo inside it.
Can't remember if my one is weighted or not, but it has caught a couple of marlin just splashing around on the shotgun. Doesn't run like a 'conventional' lure, but doesn't seem to matter much anyway. Never really ran it until we had an 'ugly lure day' one time and it got bit. Guess I could try tying a bellyflap etc in it and using it as a pitch bait if we don't have a livie handy. 

Persisting down and starting to blow hard now. Wish I was where you are Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Torpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:39pm
Torpedo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice work bro. That office of yours is looking real pretty right now.

Got onto a good patch of Mahi with Egg Roll on Saturday, not quite the same class of fish though..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 3:03pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kezza, apparently there was a big 850lb fish caught 3 miles outside the harbor entrance 3 days ago! The fishing grounds close to our home base are heavily fished........ the waters we charter in are untouched by commercial boats which makes for a very good fishery. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 3:09pm
otter View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

interesting colours on the fist pick I have seen them go blue of they die but never white...90 and still fishing where do I sign....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 6:15pm
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

chuurrr bro ! envious as always ! them mahis on noodle sticks would be a blast for sure then a nice blue on 10 kg Clap ken choice !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 6:26pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Mozz but what the ?! do you do after filling the bin? How do you stop them smashing the Marlin lures all day? Doesn't look like much fun back at the office either, mine has a window into the workshop.Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 8:41pm
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bout time for a Mozz report! Choice bro...only thing missing is the bikini clad bods Big smile.