Rigging and Set Up Questions - Newbies Section

Page  123 16>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rigging and Set Up Questions - Newbies Section
    Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 7:48pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Im  getting quite a few PM's from guys looking to kick off into Game Fishing and asking questions on rigging , Knots and set up and thought that maybe it would be a good idea to have a section dedicated to set up and rigging techniques that everyone uses , and hopefully we can build a database of questions and answers and links to Youtube clips  from everyone on here for people to refer to.

Going back a couple of years when I 1st came on this site I learnt a truck load off the regular contributors and along with the ITM Fishing Show Bluewater DVD I think it was called, that pretty much set me up and from there it was all down hill ! ! ! lol.

Moderators / Grunta, maybe we could have a stand alone section like on the Forum Home page for thos just starting out ? .

Question today was what Knot do I use for tying My Swivel ?

Answer

1. I use an Australian Plat or Bimini to form aDouble and then finish to the Snap Swivel with a Uni Knot in most cases

2. The 2nd knot I am going to be trying this year is the Double SanDiego Jam Knot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 2:15am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

the idea is great Lance, Thumbs Up

and maybe we can thrash out some of the good and and not so good points...

first one, personally , ive seen better video's of it somewhere,

1, its too loose for me, when finished and in a relaxed state should have a slight "C" shape to it, this means its a lot tighter, they need to be nipped up on each cross over...

2, the half hitches are the old way of doing it, you can double the tag end back into the last 6/8 cross overs and by slipping the the loop back through, then pull it all up tight by the tag end, will complete the whole knot with no half hitches at all, makes for a very tidy finish...

finished like this 
hope Peter Pakula doesn't mind as it was he who should me how to finish it off some 30 plus years ago...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 7:55am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so uni in douple to swivel is preferred knot ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 9:29am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

getting the same questions....good idea Lance, uni is a good knot but as I said via PM last night tie a small double it helps well me any ways.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 9:57am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Lance,
The sandiago Knot,  very strong and quick.
We have always used this knot but never looped the line through the bottom loop by the eye of the hook, just 6 to 8 turns down and back throught the loop furtherest away from the hook.

Allways wet the knot and slide it down slowly.

We tested this knot time and time again

WhenI first tied this knot it we were not useing double line, just singles and the knot was just as strong.
I have tested it against a uni and it beats it hands down every time.
That knot accounted for 25 Yellowfin Tuna between 30kg to 60kg over three days fishing on the same 80lb rod and reel setup set to 17kg drag , without re-tieing the knot.

use it.

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 11:47am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I don't use doubles unless I'm going to use a wind on leader, prefer the bimini knot, (also known as a Benjamin knot I think), straight to the snap swivel.  Its pretty easy to tie once you get the hang of it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 11:54am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeeehaa, keep it rolling guys ! ! ! all good stuff and hopefully helping the guys !

Come on guys.... dont be shy with your questions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:14pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The benjiman is a great knot too. been useing this knot for a number of seasons. but of the cuff I prefer the other.
but both great knots all the same

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Blackbill, I have made this a Sticky Topic, see how that goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:33pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Smudge !!! 

This is probably one of the better Youtube clips of the Sandiego jam Knot using a single thread.  The key from what I have read and understand for game fishing would be to double your line up ( No need to actually tie a double ) and then complete the knot in the same way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:40pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try and do the San diego knot with a nail knot finish(tag end going up the middle) I was shown this knot in Mexico by a very skilled captain and he has caught bigger YFT than most of us could dream of. The knot looks much better with this finish..... Don't know if it does anything though. 
I've just gone to all Benjamin knots on my personal boat gear and took some pics of the steps I took but that will have to wait for a few weeks as we are on charter with weak internet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:44pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

This is the best video of the Benjamin Knot (aka bimimi knot)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NyzGcUHJlc
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 12:51pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

im Going to be running riggers this season for the first time, should the tips of the riggers be in line with  the stern?
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 1:04pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i use that knot on every thing from braid to mono..i always thought i made it up, but nope it has a name lol. well the things you learn on here eh.. :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 1:29pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

im Going to be running riggers this season for the first time, should the tips of the riggers be in line with  the stern?
 big question  ,
  me i would say not really LOL ,  it would all depend on where u fit them to the boat and what sort of out the  back angle u want on your lines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote obald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 1:55pm
obald View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Lance,

Just seen this thread and was going to suggest that the best thing to do with it would be making it a 'Sticky Topic' as opposed to starting up yet another Forum.

I then see Mike has beaten me to it between gurnards. Lesson to self; read your Forum before going to play golf. Good thread and I'm sure we'll pick up heaps of pointers.
I'm off to YouTube 'Benjamin does San Diego'
Random musings on all sorts of things http://obaldnz.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bluewater5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 2:05pm
Bluewater5 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can you tell me if the live bait rig on page 72 in issue 95 of the bluewater magazine is legal? Big hook with smaller one attached to hold bait fish in position!
I own 501 lures, but i can only run 5 at a time. What to do??? Man I have some sleepless nights!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 2:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Dave, it's the quick and the dead when it comes to gurnard slaying ... Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 2:21pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

In my humble opinion I don't believe it is absolutely vital, as long as you can set up a good bit of width and height off the boat. The difference between running my 14ft poles on my old 2352 trophy from the Gunwhale  and then from the Hard Top was like chalk and cheese.

What type of boat are you running them with and hopefully someone with a similar boat can comment

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 2:39pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bluewater5 Bluewater5 wrote:

Can you tell me if the live bait rig on page 72 in issue 95 of the bluewater magazine is legal? Big hook with smaller one attached to hold bait fish in position!

I don't have a copy of the magazine however I am familiar with the livebait rig you refer to.  I personally checked with IGFA about 12 months ago and it is legal.  My concern was that the larger hook was not embedded in the bait as I think the rules suggest is necessary.
Page  123 16>