Surtees 4.85

Page  <1 111213
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 8:26pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you tried it out on the water, if so how far in front of the boat is visible.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 5:33am
Time_Bandit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

not yet only fitted it yesterday

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 9:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cool let us know how it goes when get a chance, I need some lights.  Can it be removed and refitted easily or is it semi permanent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 8:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

its fixed, you could use starports to make it removable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 12:33pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's nice.  Be great for mooring at night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Squid lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:36pm
Squid lips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi mate , Cool thread , thinking of ditching the 2 smoker off my workmate and leaning towards a merc efi ,curious to know what top speed you are getting
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 7:15am
Platinum
Platinum

30 knots, mainly operate at 25knts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Squid lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:24am
Squid lips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wikidtroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 11:06am
Wikidtroll View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Time_Bandit,

Any pics of the way you have run the cabling for the SAV winch? looks great. Add now that you have been running it for a while, whats your feedback?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 1:07pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive added the 485 workmate to my small list of boats to view. I was considering the extreme 500, but you dont get a lot of used ones, where the 485 can be found below $30k if you look hard enough, but thats with a 2 smoker.

Id be interested to know the cost to fuel saving benefit of etecs/4strokes etc long term on this size boat?

Its quite obvious on a 300hp the trade offs vs fuel savings, but for a 50-70hp, how long does it take for it to pay for itself as such?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 4:53pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Id be interested to know the cost to fuel saving benefit of etecs/4strokes etc long term on this size boat?

Think of it this way.. for this sort of boat
1/ how many hrs going to be used per yr?...say use once a month, Thats far more than the ave boat.. say 15 nms out 15 nms in , bit travel in between 10 nms  40 nms
 Assume go on good days, well powered well set up (WoT around  37/38 knts) cruise around 30nm/hr
 Thats under 1 hr, or under 12 hrs per yr...
Ball park will do about 0.75 to 1L per nm if well set up, so say use 35/40L @ $2:10/ L = about $75 fuel.. 
Lets assume 4S over 2S is 10% better  you have saved about $7 per trip or $84/ yr.
 If we add in brand name semi synthetic 2S oil in at 50:1 @ approx $20/ L...about  750ml/ trip thats about 9L per yr $180 per yr.
 Then keep in mind 4S oil AND filters are a little more than this per service.... so adding 2S oil if anything on a well used boat makes the fuel difference of $84 per yr even less.

And ave day out in our 5,5m boat very well powered 2S, well loaded up, cruise around the 34/35 knts.. thats a very fast cruise (WoT for most boats that size) and therefore lot more fuel .. ave day out 45/50nms  will go thru 45 to 50L fuel plus 1L evinrude oil which we buy by the 20L
Upgrading to a 4S on the justification of economy of say $100/yr...
 A smaller lighter boat the savings will be considerably less.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Time_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

sold the boat mate so sorry no pics, the savwinch is very good have a viper on my new boat and they are also good

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:58pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well said steps. I had a 115HP Ficht on my Seafarer Ventura. At the time there was all this talk of exploding engines etc and Etecs were a much safer technology to gamble on.

Given the Ventura is a very solid 5.6m glass boat, it definitely needed something that would deliver hole shot as close to 2St as possible.

I bought the boat from a chap who got what he really needed wrong, so after 3 years ownership he sold it onto me for less than 50% of it $100k original sale. Yep I was chuffed.

I had no intention of the boat ever leaving the beatiful NSW coast line. But I met a beautiful West Australian, oh if I posted a pic you would agree, she was a dancer and her beautiful body and sultry tanned frehsly european look just hummed on the boat. So we took turns driving it across the nullabour behind my 100 series which I just upgraded from the 80 (which I ended up prefering).

So the boat ended up being based out of Freemantle and fishing around Rottnesst targetting YT Kings, Spaniards and the Ocassional lumpy head  Old Boys club Snapper. And of course 20km west of Rotty was the Trench, which would produce everything from Dolphin fish to Marlin to Wahoo to MONSTER Kingis and my fav fish, the mighty spanish mackeral.
Not my fish, I wish.

All in all if I was as old as I am now and knew how to keep it zipped up Id probably still be there with a Formula 233. Lifes a box of chocolates? Sometimes you get that horrid flavour but you just gotta roll with it.

Ayway the point of this rant was that the Ficht ran like a 2, felt like a 2, used gas like a 2. It just didnt cost the original purchaser the price of a 2ST.

So even at the smaller sizes, if you fish a lot, or use your engine a lot, its worth it is the bottom line?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 3:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Go for the best economy you can as petrol aint getting any cheaper, my 4 strokes gets between 2.4km -3km per litre. 115 Suzuki on a 5.5m Workmate. 
Page  <1 111213