cricket

Page  123 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cricket
    Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 10:30am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive played and followed cricket since I was 12, thats 48 years.
I love the sport especially test cricket.

I now wish to stop my love and following of this sport and need help to rid myself of this addiction.
Can anyone help or must I remain a sadist (alcohol no longer works)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 10:40am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Support them no matter what, your kidding yourself if you think 4.5m Kiwi's are gonna always compete with powers like India, Oz, SA, England etc. Especially when most of the sporting talent is roped into rugby. Enjoy it without serious expectations of winning and it was not that long ago the Black Caps were knocking over India easily at home much harder over there even England got clouted by India too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 10:46am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On a brighter note we have some of the world's best Kilikiti players perhaps the recruitment gurus from the Black Cr@ps should look there....LOL

just saying

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 12:16pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm in the same boat as you Barrie but have only been around half as longSmile.
Its actually quite depressing. I watched the night before when Southee was ripping through there top order and had them 50 ood for 5, I was thinking holy crap we're actually going to have a first innings lead when we come out to bat again... next minute a 150 run partnership. Its been said before but we are lacking a quality spinner in the side. We need some one in the team who can actually turn the ball. I think this is a biggest problem at the moment. And because we have no spinners in NZ all of the emerging batsmen coming through the ranks have no idea how to play it when they get onto the international stage. How do we get a North Island and a South Island team in the Australian competition cos I think that is what needs to happen.... In return we'll let them field a couple of sides in the ITM cupErmm. Win win For NZ cricket and Australian rugby.

I think Rosco's times up as Nz captain. Give McCullum a crack. Probally wont make a difference but something has to be done. Why wasnt Wattling playing in that test after his ODI form? Surely you want your most inform players on the field. Who's making these decisions?
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 12:42pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

these top players play overseas a lot so Im not too convinced that the lack o spinners here are totally to blame.
We are bowling sides out but do desperately need a couple of spinners. We do have a couple coming through at the moment mind you as we also have quite a few promising quicks.
the problem is a mental one with the bats men.
McCullum is not an opener, hes suited by 6 or even 7 due to his inability to bat for 30 overs for 20 runs.
Guptill could develop into a good opener but is having a bad trot.
Williams and (the other ND young guy) have it all in shots but seem to get tempted too often to play stupid shots. They rarely get a life and seem to go early to the first bad decision they make.
Taylor has lost a lot of form since becoming captain.
To me the guy that should be captain is Van Dyke the keeper.( Is that his name or am I thinking of  netball)
He show guts for a guy with limited ability and is in a great position to see exactly whats happening
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 12:54pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Huge cricket fan here as well and just a sucker when it comes to submersing myself in the woe of the black caps.

My personal view is that Brendon McCullum should be captain. It would give him something else to be there for other than just trying to show off and hit 6s. He made an ass of himself when he was given the shot previously but maybe hes learned a little since then. You are right though, hes not an opener when it comes to test cricket. I thought he wanted to bat 4 but dont think Taylor likes him there....wouldnt matter though if he was captain.

Get Ryder back in there ASAP. He is the best bit of batting talent we have had in a long long time. No 5 for him.

Guptil is a class player just in bad form. Williamson could be decent in time but should be at 6 for now not at first drop. So Taylor therefore at 3. This then leaves the problem of finding another opener (welcome back Lou) and giving Flynn the bad news that there is no room at the inn.

Bit of a case of re-shuffling the deckchairs on the titanic but IMHO its a better way of lining up the batting if these guys are truely the best available in NZ.

There is still one thing missing though......a spine. This team has been lacking one for so long. How the hell do we sort that ****?

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 1:46pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Flynn over Williamson?
Both have really great technique but not sure which I would opt for.
Maybe Taylor would not last long if his form dost improve.
Problem with McCullum as cpt is that he has always shown his lack of control. Last night was just yet another! Hard to tell others to put their heads down when you know its only a matter of time before he has a moment.
Test cricket is about time. Wear the opposition down but McCullum wants always to dominate.
In limited over cricket, I would have him as captain every time but not tests
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 1:57pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Thats why I reckon we should give him the captaincy.....how much worse can it be then what is happening now?
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 2:09pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And the same can be said about Taylor, I reckon he's played more aggresively than McCullum in his last few innings. Give it to Williamson. It worked with Fleming.
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 2:17pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

test cricket is not a matter of aggressiveness, its a matter of patience.
One of the greatest openers that I have seen didnt care so much about runs, he cared about time. To him 6 hours was a minimum. He use to say, the runs would come. Geoff Boycott.

Limited over is all about aggressiveness and McCullum is great at that  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 2:23pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Wasnt saying to give it to McCallum because hes agressive Barry, more so the added responsibility is likely to compose him a wee bit.

The problem with our guys is that I dont think they have the confidence in their team mates to play with patience and that they need to score quickly before they run of our support down the other end.

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:01pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Wasnt saying to give it to McCallum because hes agressive Barry, more so the added responsibility is likely to compose him a wee bit.

could well work

The problem with our guys is that I dont think they have the confidence in their team mates to play with patience and that they need to score quickly before they run of our support down the other end.

too many one day shots I think. NZ still wins at limited over so its more the test that we have problems with

Even in the lost 20/20 series, we didnt do too bad but the rain stuffed us every time even without McCullum and Guptill.
Tests are where we need a different mind set and if these guys cant come to terms with it then maybe we need two different batting line ups
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:13pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its no good batting time if they dont score runs in the process. No point batting all day and only having a hundread runs on the board cos when they do lose a wicket and then a bit of a collapse eventuates as it always does were still screwed. I think they have potential but realisticaly our batsmen just aint in the same class as the South Africans, Australians, English, Indians or even the Sri Lankans or West Indians. It sux but I think thats the reality. Some thing needs to change but what it really is I dont know
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:16pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Barrie Barrie wrote:

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

could well work

too many one day shots I think. NZ still wins at limited over so its more the test that we have problems with

Even in the lost 20/20 series, we didnt do too bad but the rain stuffed us every time even without McCullum and Guptill.
Tests are where we need a different mind set and if these guys cant come to terms with it then maybe we need two different batting line ups

What different batting line up tho? We've given so many guys a chance but they have all failed. With the exception of Ryder and Wattling this is the best we have. In all forms
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:28pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You are right 1Daz about the depth of talent.

Did you play your self?
If you have, you will be aware that even trying to bat time will normally produce 225 to 280 runs a day and that would have to be a gient leap in the right direction.
In this last test (that finishes tomorrow LOL ) 250 in the first innings would have been a lot better and 250 in the 2nd would possibly have won it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:30pm
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Black caps just need more practice against hard competition........... I hear the waiheke island womens over 80 first eleven is looking for a match!!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:39pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea I played, I'm saying that they do and have tried to bat time but it hasnt worked for them recently, as they keep getting out. Yea they do need to persist with it but lately i've been getting the impression, particulary from Taylor that they just want to get some runs on the board. Who knows what there really thinking..
Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:50pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a question ... how long between drinks has it been for a Black Cr@ps win ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 4:04pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

Just a question ... how long between drinks has it been for a Black Cr@ps win ?

orstralia early this year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 4:17pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oh...
Thank god for the womans cricket team saving us some face on the international stage then .
Page  123 8>