DIY Kontiki or Long Line?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Kontiki or Long Line?
    Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:50pm
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Has anyone here tried building their own Kontiki/Longline? 
If so how did you you build it, and what parts did you build (the reel, reel holder, Long Line traces, the device that carries out your line)? 
And did it work out cheaper building your own rather than purchasing one?

I'm asking because my mother has asked me to build one, but I don't have much in terms of experience with Kontiki fishing. I posted in the Newbie's corner a similar set of questions without realizing this sub forum existed...

I did find these on the net while looking around on how to build a long Line system;

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 7:16pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

it is definately cheaper then buying, but it takes time so you need to factor in what your time costs vs how much enjoyment you get out of it. 

i made a few over several years trying to improve them each time. but i mean boat style longlines not beach ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:39pm
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fortunately my dad knows how to build stuff. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how I can combine all three of the above designs together using what I have at home, and what's available locally. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 4:58pm
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Here's how they do it in Texas

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 6:00pm
Big H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For a really basic rig that works.(in favourable conditions) Get an electric fence reel spool and with mono. You can eithrr buy or make a large plastic bag to pull it out. Big black sacks work ok. Fill it with air tie it off and connect to your main line with bridal so you can tweak it depending on wind direction. I used to let out around 60m before clipping a weight onto the line to get the traces down but leaves plenty of angle so the bag pulls the line effeicintly. A weight set that is on an axle works well as it rolls across the sea floor with less resistance... Clip on some hooks and off you go. Bout as cheap as it gets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 8:35pm
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Big H Big H wrote:

For a really basic rig that works.(in favourable conditions) Get an electric fence reel spool and with mono. You can eithrr buy or make a large plastic bag to pull it out. Big black sacks work ok. Fill it with air tie it off and connect to your main line with bridal so you can tweak it depending on wind direction. I used to let out around 60m before clipping a weight onto the line to get the traces down but leaves plenty of angle so the bag pulls the line effeicintly. A weight set that is on an axle works well as it rolls across the sea floor with less resistance... Clip on some hooks and off you go. Bout as cheap as it gets

How much weight do you use? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 8:36pm
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

And do you put a weight underneath the bag? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 9:11pm
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Would a Hand Caster with a handle be alright?

And how about one of these too?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 3:09am
Big H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep kontiki bag is perfect. Doubt you would get enogh line on the handcaster.... As for weight it depends on wind strength. I found about 10 oz worked well when it was set up to roll rather than Drag over the bottom. It also depends on how far back you place the weight. On shallow beaches i was clipping the weight abkout 60m behind the bag and the first hook 5 m behind that. I'd get gurnard on the first hook so must have been hard on the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 7:42am
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yep kontiki bag is perfect. Doubt you would get enogh line on the handcaster.... As for weight it depends on wind strength. I found about 10 oz worked well when it was set up to roll rather than Drag over the bottom. It also depends on how far back you place the weight. On shallow beaches i was clipping the weight abkout 60m behind the bag and the first hook 5 m behind that. I'd get gurnard on the first hook so must have been hard on the bottom.

I think the hand caster should be ok, its worth a try. I only intend to go a few hundred meters out (500 at max). The beach that I'm fishing at (Palliser bay) is fairly deep. How far back would you recommend I put the sinker in that case? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 9:45am
Big H View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im not sure you'd have to experiment a bit, start at 60 and see how you go id imagine that it wouldnt hurt to put some extra weight after your hooks as well since its so steep... And bloody windy... I reckon you would have a hell of a task winding the set in with a handcaster in a strong wind with a couple of ky on a fence reel isnt expensive and will be much easier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Aho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 10:48am
Te Aho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Im not sure you'd have to experiment a bit, start at 60 and see how you go id imagine that it wouldnt hurt to put some extra weight after your hooks as well since its so steep... And bloody windy... I reckon you would have a hell of a task winding the set in with a handcaster in a strong wind with a couple of ky on a fence reel isnt expensive and will be much easier.

Cheers, I'll go with the electric fence reel as you recommended. I'll do some experimenting and post my results. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Matz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 7:04am
Matz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I use a hose reel, and a little sail boat i made out of wood and a rubbish bag for the sail. took about 15-20 minutes to pull out 900 meters with a favourble wind. Beats my old method of towing it out with the yak lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Khattak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:49pm
Khattak View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes I have made one by using 6" PVC pipe, 2 batteries of 12 volts 12 amps each and a wiper motor after some modifications as a trolling motor. The wiper motor that I used dragged 9 amps of current with 12 volts. It is working beyond my expectation in big waves of Arabian sea here in Karachi. And finally the total cost of this project to me was just under $ 100 US. anything that anybody want to ask plz don't hasitate.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2013 at 11:01am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds good mate.Post how you made it if you like.