Motunau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motunau
    Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 5:32pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was diving at Motunau (North Canterbury)  last weekend and apart from the abundance of crayfish I was buzzed continually by large kingfish. Is there anybody out there that has had the same experience at Motunau or was it a one off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 5:54pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

welcome Doonage
your the first Diver from down that way I think... but what size were the spiders?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote delabrown@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2005 at 10:20pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Up this way (around Gisborne) there are a few resident Kingfish schools which is blimmin awesome. When I was down in Nelson and diving around Durville Island and outer sounds, quite often we got the odd visit from a few Kingy's.
---/---
Better a Slackline that goes Tight than a Tightline that Goes Snap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishnutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2005 at 9:34am
fishnutz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've been buzzed by Kingfish a couple of times now - both times out the back of Kawau Island. First time I crapped myself as they circled me real close. Can see how easy it would be for spearo's to pick them off - I could have grabbed one by the tail except I though they were going to eat me....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2005 at 4:21pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Barrie,

The Motunau crays are of o.k size. Nothing under 2lb and 5lb been a about the biggest.  At 70ft it takes about ten minutes to get your limit. The crays around Banks Peninsula are larger but the weather this summer has not played its part when I have been able to get out there.

Heading to Durville Island this Wednesday so might hopefully get in to some larger bugs up there.  Haven't done alot of diving up there but I believe the Western Side of the island is best. Has anyone got any hints?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2005 at 5:34pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

5 lb
man thats a good bug and 10 minutes to get 6... wow
BTW what thickness wetsuit do you use? or Drysuit?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2005 at 9:10pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Barrie,

At this time of the year you can get a way with a 5mm but 7mm all year round is the norm. Looking forward to getting up to Durville Island this week where hopefully we might get a trophy bug.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 6:45am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use 5mm all year round but sounds like you have great spiders where you are. Ive only ever seen 3 under the water that are of that size or bigger. Heard of one caught that went 17lb and the guy isnt one to magnify his catch and once saw a packky that would have been bigger but it was just too big for me to tackle. He kept on chargeing me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote delabrown@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 11:00pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Doonage, Yep try the Western Side and also just back from French Pass is a series of off shore rocks Called Paddock rocks which I managed to pull two 10lb crays out of on one trip. Just about **** myself seeing them drapped in weed etc they looked so big but even better wrestling with them and trying to get into the bag.

Another is Clay pt in the shallows.

Have a great weekend, awesome diving at Durville.

---/---
Better a Slackline that goes Tight than a Tightline that Goes Snap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 9:28pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just got back from Durville. Had an awesome four days. The weather was perfect and the vis was around 10m.

I managed to get my limit of crays each day without to much trouble. One cray I got was 9 1/2 lbs but most of the crays were between 2-3lbs

We dived the Paddock Rocks and a few other rocks just north of there. On one of the dives we were buzzed by a school of about 40 kingfish. I don't think I will ever get bored of seeing kingfish when I am diving. It was good to see some schools of trumpeter as I do not see many of these fish when I am diving normally.

Durville Island is certainly a fantastic place for diving with so much territory to explore I can't wait to get back there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2005 at 6:40am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats the currents like and were you on a charter or private?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doonage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 8:47pm
Doonage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The currents were almost non existant where we were diving on the Western sdie of the Island. In French Pass itself  the currents are very strong and extremly dangerous for diving apart from ten minutes either side of the change of tide. Although it would be highly recommended that one should NOT dive in the Pass due to the currents that effect the area.

We were diving on a private boat. If you are interested in a charter try Danny Boulton of French Pass Sea Safaris. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirty dazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 9:27pm
dirty dazz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i've picked up crays over 3kg at mot man