Popper rod upto $250????

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:32pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jeremy, My troppo was awesome, if you can still find one round I would def recommend it for starting out. I got some nice kingies on mine, biggest about 24 kilo which it handled fine. I think these have been discontinued but if you can find one of the old cherry red 8ft ones I would still say best sub $200 rod on the market. 
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:19am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

norcross had a couple at the boat show.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miss daisy chain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 8:31am
miss daisy chain View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at the 7' 12-18kg troppo 7002 spin rod for casting topwater from a boat targeting midsize kingies around Moks, Chicks and Flat Rock. Teaming it up with a Fin-nor OF5500. I've been offered this setup for $259. Do you think it will work OK for the application? lure weights will be between 25g-80g. My concerns are the weight of the reel (a bit heavy at 750g) and stiffness of the rod tip (too stiff?). I know the OF 5500 is not as smooth as some reels, but it is built tough which appeals as I am rough on my gear.

My other issue is that it is through Marine Deals, and while they are an awesome store, I feel like I should support my local fishing shop!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:18pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't seen one of those troppo rods in the flesh, so i cant comment on them, my only thoughts are that at 7ft they might be a bit short for casting and working lures. The reels are heavy, but bullitproof. so you have to weigh up what bothers you more. I guess have a talk to your local guy, there is nothing wrong with shopping around, they may even be able to price match. 
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 9:07pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by miss daisy chain miss daisy chain wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at the 7' 12-18kg troppo 7002 spin rod for casting topwater from a boat targeting midsize kingies around Moks, Chicks and Flat Rock. Teaming it up with a Fin-nor OF5500. I've been offered this setup for $259. Do you think it will work OK for the application? lure weights will be between 25g-80g. My concerns are the weight of the reel (a bit heavy at 750g) and stiffness of the rod tip (too stiff?). I know the OF 5500 is not as smooth as some reels, but it is built tough which appeals as I am rough on my gear.

My other issue is that it is through Marine Deals, and while they are an awesome store, I feel like I should support my local fishing shop!

I have used a 7 foot Troppo top water rod before and because of its short length i found casting long distances hard, i reckon something over 8 foot.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:56am
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Keep in mind i'm not hugely experienced in top water but have really gotten into it over the last two years.

I started off buying the cheapest set i could, a 7ft rod and a finnor biscayne spooled with run of the mill 50lb braid that i thought "did the job"... While i had no problems with the gear i never really got into topwater because it was hard work casting all day and i struggled to get the lures to work properly no matter what i did so i kind of gave up on it thinking my technique was rubbish.

Then one night TAS got the better of me and i bought a shimano 8'6" topwater rod and finnor lethal 100 spooled with the cheapest 80lb hollowcore braid i could find and first cast with the new set made the old set feel like crap, i could cast further, sweep the lure properly and plug poppers well, and what do you know i started catching alot more fish instead of mainly just having them follow and turn away at my feet!

Fell in love with the sport!

Fast forward to 6 months ago, out with a mate flicking some lures.
He commented on my broomstick Angry i thought it was a choice rod...
I took a look at his rod and thought f@#% me my rod feels like a broomstick!

Again TAS got the better of me i bought a penn ocean assassin 8'2"rod and penn slammer 8500 spooled with shimano ocea ex8 PE8 braid.
Same as before, what a difference! night'n'day difference actually.

Morale of the story.... try before you buy and absorb all that the gurus on here have to say!
I should have, it would have saved me $800 had i have brought something more suited for the job in the first place plus you will hook more fish and really enjoy the sport a lot more, i was nearly put off fishing topwater because i brought a set that i thought would get the job done despite the interwebs all saying 8-9ft rods an a reel with decent retrieve.

To me the ocean assassin rod is probably the best value topwater rod around at the moment, they are $300 retail but if you look around can be picked up for $250 and probably cheaper as a combo.

Remember im still pretty new to the topwater game and this is only my opinion LOL

Good luck! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote miss daisy chain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:10am
miss daisy chain View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the good advice. I guess I'll have to save up a bit more cash! In the meantime my $50 7' (well closer to 6.9' as the tip broke off) glass rod will have to doCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfish15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:54pm
kingfish15 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by miss daisy chain miss daisy chain wrote:

Thanks for the good advice. I guess I'll have to save up a bit more cash! In the meantime my $50 7' (well closer to 6.9' as the tip broke off) glass rod will have to doCry

Have a look on trademe sometimes there are some good deals on top water rods.
Cheers
Page  <12