Marine Stereo

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine Stereo
    Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 11:36am
Agent View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am looking at putting a stereo & two speakers in my Fyran 580.

I have been looking at the Fusion Marine stereos, but to try and save costs, was thinking about a standard "car" headunit, but still using the marine speakers, with the logic being while the speakers will likely be exposed, the head unit will likely be put in the cabin, away from salt spray etc.

Is my logic right on this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 11:52am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The marine unit is sealed on the case so that moisture can't get onto the guts of the unit - the boards and electrical connections inside the head unit.

I'd use a marine one and not even go down the track of a car type, otherwise you could end up replacing three or four to the marine unit's one...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:06pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've had my Sony car stereo in the boat for 2yrs (within Cabin) I don't have any hassles at all, everything works fine and at $150 it is great value...It is enclosed in an area of the dash so no moisture gets to it that I can see....

70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Scuba Skip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 12:12pm
Scuba Skip View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Car stereo is fine as long as its kept dry. i have a cheap $99 jvc unit mounted behind the dash in the cabin and its been good as gold for 4 years nowThumbs Up I do agree on marine speakers had mine for a couple of years mounted right where they get covered in bait,salt water etc and drowned when washing the boat and all is sweet as!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnybegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 5:16pm
johnybegood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well, I have a fusion marine stereo in our Fyran 580, on the dash passengers side. Just taken it out under warranty as its a year old and the knob is all disintegrated. Along with the unit having moisture in it..... Luckily a 5 year warranty and all covered, if it were a car one, then it would be buggered. We never get spray there, and only wash it down with water followed by toweling it off. If you want to see how we put in our speakers without cutting holes, look for my post. I'll try find the link myself
I just want to jig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wanabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 5:54pm
wanabe View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like warranty's that way you can get a new one if it turns to poo

after all if you go the cheaper way you can replace it every 2-3 years at the cheap price, but it is not about how much you spend rather what enjoyment you get from it

As was said the poor quality of the sound remains long after the cheap price is paid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 7:48pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

all iv got is a standard car 1 but its in one of those sealed holders thats all iv had on all my boats never had a problem ever
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 9:00pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I put a free car one in mine. Still going fine. Only hassle is every time I turn the battery off I have to re-enter the code. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 9:15pm
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the idea of a stereo does appeal but I have enough issues keeping all the neccessary things working without adding uneccessary things. I'm wondering if a wee portable jobby that would plug into the cigy liter/outlet mite be a good compromise?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Agent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 9:19pm
Agent View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Moki Marko Moki Marko wrote:

the idea of a stereo does appeal but I have enough issues keeping all the neccessary things working without adding uneccessary things. I'm wondering if a wee portable jobby that would plug into the cigy liter/outlet mite be a good compromise?

I had thought about one of those one's that ITM sell that run off drill batteries, but would prefer a permanant install.

Main idea is to use it when trolling etc, boat is too noisy to be any use when heading too / from pozzies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:33am
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I put a marine stereo in, it was a sony, and after about 2 months some ****wit stole the faceplate.
I pulled it out and the bracket and back of the stereo was rusted as.
I reckon a car stereo couldnt have been any worse.
This was mounted in the cabin out of the wet. I will put in a car stereo next and give it a spray with lanolin for a bit of protection.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Afternoon Delight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:45am
Afternoon Delight View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went the other way and bought a 350 watt sony amp from repco(for $100 on special), put it in a water proof box up under the dash with a 3.5mm lead & plug comming up through the dash for me to plug in my ipod. Means I don't have to worry about a head unit and it worked out really cheap.

With 2 good 6x9's runnning straight off the amp & ipod its ear bleedingly loud. (and the amp could run another four 6 x 9's)

Cheap, easy & reliable way to do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 12:00pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have had a few boats and a few stereo's now, I had the expensive ones but found they still did not last even behind the cover shield
I now run a cheap version got it at repcos $99 works well but one thing I will say is get the marine speakers the fusion are the ones I have up stairs and I have Boss down, that is all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 4:51pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi guys i got a fusion marine head unit they not bad picked it up at repco for 200 bucks  old stock and i looks like we all agree that marine speakers is the key as the seem to go first
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:02pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had 2 6x9 fusion speakers quit on me, Hardly use them really, do get a wee thrashing on occasions though. First one was a boss, replaced with a fusion, and blow me down, they were identical speakers..
Still, didnt last, so I might go sony next time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 7:21am
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a cheaply car one in a click it box. No cd as its just another orifice for moisture. Us a USB stick for the sounds. Only other thing I'd recommend is a remote...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnybegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 10:38am
johnybegood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I just want to jig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pkmonockus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:47pm
pkmonockus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Salt will get into a standard stereo for sure. Just the salty air form being out will do damage over time. 

I just bought and installed the GME GR200. It's only a FM radio really (with AUX), but that's all I wanted. Bought the kit off TradeMe that came with antenna and marine box speakers. It's not going to win any audio awards, but seems to sound pretty good once you adjust the treble and bass. Being all marine gear, you can rest easy that it should last a wee while.