Paradise refound in Solomons.

Page  12>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paradise refound in Solomons.
    Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 4:47pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, got so fed up with the manky weather at home this winter after getting home from the Solomons in June that I have come back to Zipolo habu here just to find a more civilised temperature.
We arrived here on Lola island weds morning, we being, Bazza, his mate Adrian, Cliff Solomon, a regular fishing mate up here, and myself.
after a bit of a scramble to unpack and assemble our toys, we came to the bar for a bit of refreshment. Once here, Lisa, the co-owner of the resort, popped her head out of the kitchen window and yelled "we have no fish!"... which I took to be a clear instruction to get a rattle on and wet a line.
So it was that Cliff and I (being the old hands here, and having got our gear ready faster) hopped into the dive boat at around 4 pm, and headed out for a quick tour of the likely spots nearby.
Well, itworked. First possie, "spot X", only bagged us a small paddletail, which nailed a smaall 112mm R2C Wideglide, but the second spot (this is on a regular "run", spot x, the bommie, tonys island and the Diamond narrows reef), The Bommie, had masses more baitfish holding on it.
Just a couple of cast in and my popper got hit in an almighty explosion of water, hit on my new little reel I am trying out, a Pflueger Salt 6000, loaded with 30lb fireline.
 as the fish came boatside, we coukld see just why.... there were two fish on the one lure! Two being a matched brace of golden trevally, nice 5kg fish. Two fish on the same lure are never easy to tame, and boatside one of the little blighters managed to wrench itself free, so we slid the gaff into just the one fish. Still..... first trev for the trip!
 After that we got a steady line up of  hits, hook-ups, misses and fish landed.

Cliffie opened his ledger with a nice bluefin trev, and we finished the day off with a nice spanish mackerel that nailed my ring little R2C dumbbell popper, a wee 5 inch little tit-bit that proved to be deadly last trip.

So, that was a good starter.
Today after a quick check out and run thru of their gear, Bazza and adrian headed out for some bottom fishing. They did OK, opening their score cards with a pair of comet grouper, a golden groper, oblique banded jobfish, a banded snapper and an ooglius anonymous.

Now, Cliffie and I are thinking of shooting out again for another look around....here's hoping it is as good as yesterday! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 6:41pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i hate you...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 6:59pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Stu, hope you catch bigger and your guests get amongst them also.

Do they eat GT's over there or are they not that good?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 8:22pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with Lethal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 8:48pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

You're not alone Lethal, we ALL hate him! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Awwww, geeez guys, I feelz ya pain, honest I does! hell, it even rained here this evening.... from 6.02 to 6.09, thenit stopped. Just popped out to the jetty andcaught a coupla small trevs for the cat and the staff, and now I'm off to hit the hay.
 I'll go online tomorrow after any fishing to post again.damn it is nice and warm here, the stars are brilliant, the big dipper to the north looks magnificent... yup, pretty damn nice right at the moment...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:36pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

awesome stu, gotta get up there after seeing your dvd playing in our store.

hope you're getting more great footage!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:42pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lethal has a point
Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 7:35am
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No more bloody Venison for you Stu ,you should be made to stay thru winter like the rest of us web footed Kiwis 
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:06am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great reading , keep it coming. Good to see someone have an enjoyable holiday fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:10am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Awwww, geeez guys, I feelz ya pain, honest I does! hell, it even rained here this evening.... from 6.02 to 6.09, thenit stopped. Just popped out to the jetty andcaught a coupla small trevs for the cat and the staff, and now I'm off to hit the hay.
 I'll go online tomorrow after any fishing to post again.damn it is nice and warm here, the stars are brilliant, the big dipper to the north looks magnificent... yup, pretty damn nice right at the moment...

Will you shut up already. Evil Smile

Glad you having a great time Stu and i bet Bazzas feet havnt hardly touched the ground and he is still buzzing about being over there...

Looking forward to more jealousy reports. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:14am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

hell, it even rained here this evening.... from 6.02 to 6.09, thenit stopped.
Yeah, ya got to watch out for those rain storms; you did bring your rain suit right!?! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

ANOTHER TERRIBLE DAY IN PARADISE. hEADED OUT AT AROUND NOON TO DO A RUN FROM THE KOLOMBANGARA LIGHT UP TO DOUBLE/HOTSPOT  FEKKIN CAPS LOCK!!!!!! i HATE THESEMICRO KEYBOARDS..... now...ah, thats better. Sorry about that... anyhow.... got started around noon or so, and mindful of the terrible weather down there, I thought I'd share this shot with y'all....
damn, taking fore-ever to load this tonite, maybe just one pic of a coral trout I picked up on a ting berkley sub-dog on 6lb line this arvo....
nope, too slow... maybe tomorrow....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:59pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Stu, you're not winning any friends here at all. You deserve to be in permanent caps lock hell. Lucky plick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:00pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

that dam weather looks ugly CA....
better we send you some wind and rain to cool you down mate....
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote C A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 8:43am
C A View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i dislike you immensely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 7:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well, just to make you all feel better, today was windy indeed. so..... we went up the mangroves instead, and again, had a pile of fun.
Interesting though. Before I came up, I grabbed some small spinnerbaits from purefishing to play with, although I didn't think they'd be much chop, as I have used spinnerbaits heaps of times, and I think I have caught one fish ever on them, about 10yrs ago, a nice trvally.
Well anyhow, just to try something different, today we tried these little critters.... and they got monstered!
Small fish for a start, especially the bloody sekiseki (archerfish), but soon we were getting good mangrove jacks on them too.
... see, tiddlers first, this is a little anonymous critter...gotta find out what it is one of these days, then we got up to fish like these, nice mangrove jacks, on the spinnerbaits....
.... of course, in short order they disappeared, so we started using some of the other toys too, little 3b crank baits they also sell.... small lures on light tackle is a lot of fun...
... heheheh.... greedy little blighters fought over the darn things! :-) two at a time, the stripey critter is a sekiseki (archerfish)...
but we did bag some useful fish too...
...oops, others wanna use the intanet, so better log out, will add more later....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:00pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

i think its time for you to come home,
your enjoying yourself too much,
cant be good for your health....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:47am
Titanium
Titanium

Now now Eric, you could always come on up to play  here yourself you know! Bazza and his mate Adrian have headed out early, though there is a pretty good breeze from the south today, so they will likely be restricted to trolling the diamond narrows or maybe the sheltered parts of the blackett straits. They should do ok though.
Just to catch up a couple of pics, from the day before yesterday, we picked up a nice coral trout on 6lb spin tackle over shallow coral reef over near double island....

that is one of the little berkley 3B crankbaits (yanks give lures clunky names don't they?) "sub-dog",
and yesterday, Cliffy bagged this little trev....well, quite a nice trev actually....
not too sure of the species of trevally, maybe.... maybe.... a young golden trev, although I don't really think so. This was on a little 3B lure as well...a very cute little lure.

Well, no idea what we'll be doing today, may head out later in the day, but both Cliff and I kinda think today would be a very good day to have a break. Standing in a boat constantly casting for 5-6 hours tends to bugga ya back a little :-)
Later dudes,
Stu.
Oh, Steve, mate, I told you , ya shoulda come up too! You could've brought some venison up too! ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 1:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza and adrian just got back, after a morning trolling the Diamond Narrows area, they picked up.....
2 passionfruit coral trout.
1 flowery cod
3 sea-pike
1 barracuda
1G.T.
1 Tille trevally
1Flowery cod.
all in all a very good haul, so we have a couple of very happy campers here today! :-)
Page  12>