Wanganui Sea Fishing.

Page  <1 4041424344 46>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote countrypete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:59pm
countrypete View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Launched at Patea for the first time and it was pretty straightforward.  Found my fishfinder was kaput so could only stray near other boats.  That didn't work too well, so we stopped at four or five marks I had on my GPS working our way back to Wangavegas.  Windy all the way, whitecaps, and a fair swell and chop - not pleasant conditions.  

Swellmap had promised 6s and 7s but it was more like 4 or 4 at a pinch.

Caught a four foot Mako, but eating-wise just one snapper one cod and a few kahawai.  Spoke to one guy who had been for a dive, saw lots of kingfish, but we couldn't catch a cold!

Got back to Wanganui to find my winch handle had fallen off.  Not the best day all round, but better than working!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:02am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a tough day!
I agree with you on the weather, it was rougher than I had expected.
Do you have a spare winch handle? If not how did you get on retrieving your boat? It would have been hard to float it on with the westerly blowing up your a##e.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:23am
lerlamadrid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Wide Load, what  softbaits do you use, Zman or Gulp? And how deep do you normally fish? Cheers!

Has anyone caught any Albacore Tuna's around Wanganui yet?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:41am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use both. Gulp is my goto, but when the leatherjackets are slicing them up I go to ZManSmile.
I usually fish between 20 and 35 metres. Sometimes I need two drogues to slow down my drift.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:58am
lerlamadrid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I also use Zman and Gulp and fish around 20-25m deep in Kai Iwi, I use 1/2oz jig head but sometimes when it's a bit choppy I don't feel the jig head hit the bottom so I shift to 1oz but still find it sometimes difficult to feel if it has hit the bottom so I change from Softbaiting to micro jigs. 

I only use one sea anchor for my 15.5foot fiberglass boat and I noticed that during calm water I drift around ~500metres every 30minutes. Would you consider that as a slow or fast drift, just thinking if I may need a second sea anchor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 11:14am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Slower the better in my opinion. les time spent casting more time fishing.
I'll often throw a heavy slow jig on a rod in the holder which catches gurnard and the odd snapper without any effort. Works well went it's rough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 4:43pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone been down to take a gander at the wharf today?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rambo122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:37am
rambo122 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I headed out yesterday. First time in over a year. We got 12 snaps, 4 gurnard and some kahawai. Sea was super calm.
Tried softbaiting with 1/2 oz and found i couldnt hit the bottom aswell. Any tips?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 10:37pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try using a drouge to slow your drift ant increase to 3/4 oz.
Cast ahead of drift and you should hit the bottom before your boat is directly over your lure. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brownie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 8:38am
Brownie19 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Morning Team.  Not many posting at the moment so thought I'd put something up.
I have now moved to Whanganui which saves me about one and three quarter hours of driving each way from Waiouru.  There's nothing quite like just being able to pop out and no issues if its not flash because home is only a few minutes away.
Got a trip in last weekend with a mate and got onto the Terikihi out of Waitote.  Broke my usual drifting protocol when I saw a heap of mid water fish on one of my marks.  There was a fair bit of wind but I couldn't be bothered putting out the drogue.  Chucked the pick down and got 24 Teri's plus a few Blue Cod as well.
Set one long line which I left down for longer than usual and got totally smashed by dogs and sharks but at least got a feed off it.
I'm a bit annoyed that swell map has been down to the last few days but it seems pretty marginal anyway after a few days of strong wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 11:53am
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Brownie.
Good to hear the tarakihi are around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 4:06pm
paul_fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, I went out a few days ago. It was like a pond. Binned 15 fat gurnard (40cm) but no snapper. Still lots of spiny dogs. We caught like 20+ :( Overall pretty good day. Has anyone been out?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 11:10pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was lucky enough to score a flight in a mates chopper today,
I snapped a few pics of the bar as we passed by.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys, we went out last week for a quick trip. Great sea condition and warm water. I does not take long to get the feed. A few Teris, fat 50 cm blue cods and good size snappers. How is everyone doing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brownie19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 3:45pm
Brownie19 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Paul.
Yes it has been fishing quite well out there if you can get out.  I am lucky enough now to be able to sneak out after work so the last three trips have been no further than 6-8 k's out and we've caught heaps of Teri's with a few other species thrown in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 3:59pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Brownie, nice to hear that! hopefully I can get out sometimes next week. Catch you guys out there! Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:50pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hmmm blue cod and terakihi....take them over snapper anyday
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 1:52pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey all, 

Forecast is coming up greens for jan 2,3,4,5 looks like the park will fill up again! 

Cheers to all that have put up info on this forum over the years, I have only been out wangas a couple of times and it this forum really helps us newbies. last trip was the hardest, only landed red cod (kept a few but wouldnt again....pretty ave) and kahawias - we tried out in 80/90ft off the bar no action for an hour so went to kai iwi, we were probably in too shallow, around 20-30ft but were getting bites so were hanging out for something decent.

Best spot we have had is jst off the airport - in about 30ft. Seems most of your guys go out way deeper into 80m at least, which is a long way out for a wee 14.6 sea nymph - ill man up on a nice day.....least its keep to run.

I dont have any form of GPS and only have a bottom looker (wouldnt call it a finder) so looks like that will be the next investment. Im in "DC" an old school blue sea nymph, come say hi - love to meet some experienced guys

neil
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 9:55pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had my first trip out in ages today.
Opted for a late start figuring that there would be a few parks available as the early crew returned. We launched at high tide which was the biggest I've seen in awhile.
It was flat all day, as swell map had indicated we were able to travel at 30 knots.

There were a few showers that passed us by.

The fishing was tough, over the 4 hours we were out we only caught 1 snap and a few carrots on the rods.

The long line was the star with a 3.5kg snap and a big carrot.

There was a surprising amount of wood floating at the bar on the return trip.
All in all a great trip out with the family and a feed for tomorrow too.
Did anyone else get out today?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 1:56pm
Bronze
Bronze

Good work Wide Load! I went out at Foxton today. Glassy Calm condition. It was hard day to find fish. It took me almost 3 hours to find them. Once I found them, its the easy part. Took home 30 Tarakihis and 7 fat snappers for a feed of 3 families. All happens in 20 minutes. Catch u guys out there :)
Page  <1 4041424344 46>