plane etiquitte

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plane etiquitte
    Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 5:12pm
Catcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi there,i have atrip to fiji coming up and wanted abit of advice,i was planing on taking my soft bait rod and a few little poppers and soft baits just wondering how to go about puting them on the plane,do i declare them? can i strap the rod tube to my bag? just after genral info as new to this flying caper cheers dan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lemmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 6:24pm
lemmy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Take your Rod as Handluggage I,ve seen what happens to baggage behind closed doors.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 6:34pm
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Rod as hand luggage = treated as a weapon by some airlines due to the shape/length of it - I **** you not!  Be careful with that one.  Air NZ for example now sell you a bag, rod (in rod tube) treated as another bag so will charge you accordingly.  I took my rod to WA a few years back and paid $70 for the luxury!  Some airlines are cool and you could have 5 bags weighing 23kg total.  Dont forget that 7kg cabin baggage, an underrated way to get more gear in!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:33pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I took 1 x 3 piece soft bait rod + 1 x 3 piece popper rod with me to Aitutaki in June.

Both rods fit in a piece of pvc drainage pipe with fitting caps (little bit of foam cut to fit inside the caps.

Pipe with the rods fits inside my main travel bag - a heavy duty PVC dive bag.  Snorkels & mask also inside the bag as well as poppers and other fishing gear.

Reels minus spools go into neoprane covers and travel with my hand luggage - don't have to worry about them getting knocked around - spools are removed and put in the dive bag as some airlines consider the braid a risk and you may have it confiscated.

All fishing tools - pliers, knife etc also go in the dive bag - can get confiscated if in carry on luggage.

Extra bit of cost for the 3 piece rods but if you head over once a year it does not take too long to recoup the cost given the airlines can charge an extra $75.00 Angry for a rod case as extra luggage per each leg of travel.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 2:30pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We have mostly flown air NZ in the past and they have gone with the total per person so a bag plus rod tube is ok as long as it weighs less than the total allowable.

We are flying Virgin Air for the first time to Tonga. Anyone had any experance with them. We have a 23kg per person limit but the blurb is a bit vaige on if it is per bag or as a total??

CBF
Whk

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BBFisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 2:38pm
BBFisha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its probably 1 piece, but check with Virgin for confirmation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 19000rpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 3:08pm
19000rpm View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by BBFisha BBFisha wrote:

Rod as hand luggage = treated as a weapon by some airlines due to the shape/length of it - I **** you not!  Be careful with that one.  Air NZ for example now sell you a bag, rod (in rod tube) treated as another bag so will charge you accordingly.  I took my rod to WA a few years back and paid $70 for the luxury!  Some airlines are cool and you could have 5 bags weighing 23kg total.  Dont forget that 7kg cabin baggage, an underrated way to get more gear in!

It is aviation security , http://www.avsec.govt.nz,  not the airlines that screen your luggage. The person behind the airline check in desk probably won't know the regulations. Fishing rods are allowed as carry on if they are in a case of some sort. Shouldn't be an issue but email avsec if you want to make sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 5:07pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Air NZ (and Virgin/Pacific Blue) definitely now have a policy of one item of luggage at 23kg, any otehr items are charged at check in. Do NOT assume you will be able to take multiple pieces of luggage on an airline any more.
You cannot take rods , lures, pliers, anything with hooks or with line on them (line can be used to tie up aircrew tsktsk) on as hand luggage.
A rod tube should be pre-booked as a separate item of luggage, for a set piece price for a standard luggage unit (ie: 23kgs), to go to Aussie it is $55. To go to Perth in May, an extra item would be $150! That was on Air NZ. They charge you for the extra item as excess weight, whatever the charge for that is, $20 per kg is pretty much usual. Perth I think was $30.
However, if you are going to take a rod tube, and book your extra item, it can weigh up to 23kgs... so that means you can fill it up with all sorts of stuff as well as your rods... sinker,s poppers, jigs, all sortsa stuff.
If you are travelling with someone else (like the Mrs) perhaps you can share a case for clothes, and use the rod tube to take all the other bits and bobs you cannot fit in your bag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 6:01pm
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes Captain A,  Air NZ are now charging $70 for EVERY bag/item/package over your 'one 23 kg bag allowance'.  No weights mentioned.

so checking in a rod tube (or even a pillow) is $70 , assuming you have already one check-in bag.

Is funny watching people at Auck Int trying to fly a box of KFC back to the islands - at $70, it gets quite expensive LOL
Please make sure you have the full 'witty' Plug-In installed on your Internet Browser, or the default 'half-witty' output may affect your profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 7:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

$70 is it....I knew it was somethnig horrendous. It pays to pre-book, I am sure to get my tube to and from the sollies it was $55 each way. But it is each item, if you pre-book, that item may be up to 23kg.... so pack as much weight as you like into the rod tube, no point trying to keep everything light any more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:09am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

AIR NZ is now doing what happens elsewhere in the world.
I repeat ................
$70 for the first item after your first checked in bag; $175 for the second excess bag!!!
Each item can weigh up to 23kg.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/excess-baggage-nz

Post note: if you have paid megabucks for your seat - 1stClass/Business/WorksDeluxe etc  (that excludes 99% of us) you can check in two bags

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/checked-in-baggage
Please make sure you have the full 'witty' Plug-In installed on your Internet Browser, or the default 'half-witty' output may affect your profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:29am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Oh yes the 'extra' charges are of the fleecing variety...e.g. going to a trade show, 2 extra bags of heavy stuff/funny shape/not code-share flight blah blah.....long story short = $1000 of charges, one way to Germany!
I guess that's part of the reason why our local airline has been on my exclusion list when it comes to bookings since then.

Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:35am
Titanium
Titanium

I dropped qantas from my list of airlines when they charged me $30 a kilo excess when airNZ was only $10 a few years back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:40am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Air NZ are simply catching up with the rest of the world; excess baggage charges overseas are savage.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 10:52am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That sucks for excess baggage charges, but check out the article in the link... charges for "normal" checked baggage on so-called "low-cost" airlines are extortionate in the UK.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2157193/Travel-advice-Airline-baggage-charges--costs-down.html

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 11:38am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok
Stunning new plan. Was in Katmadu today and they had this marked down from $240 to $60. Will get the
Right size PVC tube for rods but use your imagination for now.

Ok rods an reels will be broken down for the trip.
Big thing is the SALE PRICE
CBF
Whk

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 12:47pm
Titanium
Titanium

That is an excellent price for that, well done. Useful as well getting to have tube and everything esle together in the one uber-bag. Not a bad idea actually, possibly a good idea to get one made up at a canvas shop really.
Oh, pack your spin reels very carefully, preferably in crush-proof containers. I have those clip-it  clear plastic boxes that I pack my reels in, if you do not, then the reels will get squished, and with spinning reels, once that bail arm is stuffed, so are you. Bubble wrap the reels, then have them inside a clip-it box. Easy peasy.
Then your lures etc can go in another clip-it as well, all cool. Just remember to tape the catches on the clip it boxes down too, so they don't pop open if jostled. And in a plane/baggage handling process, they will be .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 2:05pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good idea - there are soft (and hard ) travel golf bags similar, more expensive naturally. You'll be putting it through the oversize area too which has a better chance of proper handling
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 9:54am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Am currently packing to go to the Solomons with Stu Tues
so may be a few tips here re flight baggage regs.

Firstly if in doubt about anything ring Aviation Security who
are on hand 24/7 & are most helpful. They of course deal
with security matters & your airline can advise re baggage
allowances. Security advised me that mob/camera corded
chargers are ok in cabin luggage as are spooled reels but
of course no blades, screwdrivers or liquid containers with
over 200 ml of liquid & any form of aerosol ... shaving foam
included along with a few other items.

Adrian & myself will combine our luggage allowance & hopefully
will come within the limit having paid for an extra bag (rod tubes)
beween us & narurally it will not be allowed as cabin luggage due
to length & weight.

I had assumed the 23kg baggage allowance per item would be the
combined weight so with tubes at 16 kg + suitcase 30 kg = 46 kg
divided by 2 = 23 kg. However rang the airline & was told the limit
of 23 kg was per item so some re organising was required.

For the rod tubes we purchased a 6 mtr length of 90 mm pvc pipe
cut plus 25 mm longer than rods which gave two rod holder tubes
plus a 2 - 2 mtr offcut & 6 end caps @ approx $75. The two rod tubes
held our six rods plus 3 flyrods. The offcut was utilised to hold various
other items. The caps are held in place with screws in order to be secure
& it is intended to attach a list of contents to each tube so as security
can identify what is inside. The three tubes are bound together by two
belts purchased from the hospice shop for approx $8 likewise a largish
suitcase for $15. The two belts are prevented from moving by a couple
of screws then a strap between them provides a carrying handle. When
I had to reduce the suitcase weight was surprised how much could be
stuffed inside the tubes despite being stuffed with rods.

The cabin luggage is supposedly restricted to 7 kg but in my experience
this is seldom checked. If in transit as we are from Ak/Brisbane/Honiara
any duty free drink purchased in Ak will be confiscated at Brisbane as is
over 200 ml but is OK if purchase at duty free at the last transit port in
this case Brisbane or port of dissembarkment.

We rang the airline to ask what the max length of baggage was & were
told there was NO max so if feeling mischievious could try taking an item
longer than the plane.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 10:46am
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza, wrap a bunch more tape around those tubes mate. Get a roll of the black (or whatever colour...actually multicolours are better as you see the tubes easier then) polythene tape... not duct tape as it tears too easily.... and really wrap them tightly together.
Do NOT count on being allowed to take spooled reels onto the plane... it may get thru here in NZ, but there is a high probability that it will not in brisbane, where they are real nazi's on the security thing there. And that includes going thru even to transit.
I'm gonna be up in akld 2moro, meting up with Cliffie to offload some gear onto him, then back to manukau to wait for the flight! :-)
Page  12>