lure making and head shapes

Page  123 131>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lure making and head shapes
    Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:05pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have been bitten by the bug of making my own lures. My first lure came out today, and I am happy with the results. (Can see it could get a bit addictive though)
I am after more info on the different head shape and sizes etc. Can anyone assist with what has worked better for them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:29pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Have a read through this for a few ideas etc.......

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/diy-lure-building_topic57080.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 9:54pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I read this a couple of weeks ago, and thats what got me started. Couldn't find it again thou tonite.
Cheers and thanks for the ideas, used the lumo stick concept with my head from reading your post.
Will keep an eye out for updates on the post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 10:30pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

There's some good lure making forums on bloodydecks.com & 360tuna.com that are worth checking out too.  If you get to know Jim Rizzutto on either of those sites you could contact him about getting a copy of his book "Lure Making 101 / 102", this has all the info that you need to get started.

As far as shapes are concerned there's really no limit, have a look at what is proven to work and create your own interpretations of those proven designs or just go hard out and create your own shapes from scratch.  A lathe is essential for shaping and polishing lures so look into getting one if you haven't already.

Be warned, it is addictive and you will blow a lot of money in the process.  It could well be cheaper just to go out and buy the lures you want, (you only need five!!), and save your money for gas to go trolling those lures around.  It is however very satisfying creating your own lure that looks half decent compared with commercially available lures and I'm sure it will be even sweeter to actually catch a decent fish on a lure you've made yourself.

Please post up some pictures of what you're making too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:09am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mate there are a few lads on this site that can help you to name a few A,C, Stormbringer and Blackbill they all make them I cant speak for the other guys but I know for a fact that stormbringer lures work and he would be able to tell you the heads I have got from him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 8:58am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is the first lure I have made, already have ideas to make better for next time.
Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 9:13am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Cool, I wish my first efforts looked that good!!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 1:12pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

that is way cool yknot, great effort...

if your just making them for yourself a lot will depend on how your boat is set up...
outriggers or rod tip trolling, how far back or how close your want them to run,
lots of factors and that is with out considering the weather at the time...

hence you need a few different head shapes just to handle these condition,
and on top of that there is your boat size gin palace 14ft tinny, each need considering...

another huge factor is the anglers experience...

Peter Pakula has given the angler lures that novices can swim, the cupped faced lures for which he designed gave the novice a chance in small boats to get out and mix it with the bigger boats,
this range of lures has proven beyond doubt that any idiot in a boat can catch game fish...

its this type of lure your likely to have more success with, learn what keeps the lure in the water under most conditions...
learn what makes the head wobble,
   "        "        "        "      "    dive,
   "        "        "        "    lure work: skirt/hooks/trace

understanding how your lures work in conjunction with the above is just a start....
good luck yknot, you've made a positive start....

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 3:59pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one #2, looking forward to seeing more of these puppies.
Spin a few up on the lathe, could be interesting
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 4:23pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

#2, its already been cast. Due to the great weather today went shopping and got some new bits. (Pearl fleck with a red belly in a clear head). The rest of the family are involved and want to make their own too.
Just been poured. May need to source a 4 jaw chuck for the lathe to turn the heads.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 10:07pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

#2, its already been cast. Due to the great weather today went shopping and got some new bits. (Pearl fleck with a red belly in a clear head). The rest of the family are involved and want to make their own too.
Just been poured. May need to source a 4 jaw chuck for the lathe to turn the heads.

Ive made quite a few in the last 20 years..  some copies.. some originals.. its great fun.. and very rewarding when you make one that gets the attention of the marlin.. but it is addictive..

But just a question...  why do you need a 4 jaw?  I do all mine on a 3 jaw..

cheers Jim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 6:22am
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Easiest way I've found is to use a piece of 4mm brass tubing as your leader hole, then insert a solid piece of wire that fits snuggly inside, (so that the tube doesn't crush in the chuck), and hold it in a Jacobs chuck at your headstock end with the other end supported by the pointy tailstock thing in the other end of the tube.  Works a treat for me!

Some people have expressed concern over the brass tube being too rough on the leader material but I spent about 30 minutes last night sliding a lure up and down a piece of 400 pound mono and I couldn't even get it to leave a mark.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 7:34am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

any idiot in a boat can catch game fish..

phew that makes me feel betterWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 9:10am
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have lately been using a lathe to turn wooden heads, you can try and turn different shapes & styles. I have about 50 turned heads now and will probably cast about 10 of them to see how they go :) its all about trial & error some will work some with fail once you have a couple that work then start playing with weighted inserts, colours etc it can get very addictive especially when marlin are getting caught on the lures you make Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:02pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Stormbringer Stormbringer wrote:

I have lately been using a lathe to turn wooden heads

Back when I used to make my own lures I sourced a piece of Southern Rata to experiment with as it is the only NZ wood denser than water (in fact it's the second hardest wood known - only lignum vitae is harder) and it's density is similar to that of the hard resins used making lures.

It was a b1tch to turn on my el cheapo lathe (now green guy's problem) but it meant that a wooden lure that worked in the water would perform pretty much the same way when cast in resin.

I even got carried away and turned up a laminated lure that looked awesome but performed like cr&p.

Heaps of fun and very rewarding when a diy actually catches a fish. Black Maire is also pretty heavy, though probably just as hard to source.
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:09pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the angler the angler wrote:

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

any idiot in a boat can catch game fish..

phew that makes me feel betterWink

yes very true but when it comes to day in day out then it sorts the men out from the boys.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:12pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Making lures is certainly addictive, but .......... you can train someone to make lures of great quality and appeal in a few hours. Literally you just follow the instructions on the can.

However designing lures is a whole different ball game. That's instinct to a large extent.

Basically, very basically there are basic concepts. The sphere, cube, convex and concave shapes and tapers to work with.

First of all in all of this is ask and come to terms with your answer: "What is a lure for, what is it's purpose and how can you best achieve that goal?"

The answer will not be static, it should change as you progress in the art. Making your own lures you do not have to consider one of the things that's a major consideration and most important to commercial guys is catching fishermen. You only need to worry about catching fish.

Point in case, The Poco Tournament in Texas was just won last weekend on a Pakula Lumo Sprocket winning the team over $600,000.00 It was a Dojo Peche Sprocket, now with over $4mil in prize money, made to catch fish, not fishermen. They can't give them away in NZ let alone sell them because they aren't pretty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 5:52pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Not to forget the Moldcraft series of lures which in my opinion are some of the most ordinary looking lures around and yet they have caught ****e loads of fish all around the world.

I love my lumo sprocket and it has been my most successful lure to date so it will be a while before one of my own creations gets to knock the sprocket off my long rigger!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 10:17pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

New to lathes, may have used wrong wordings, the lathe I now have has the two pointy bits, thus I believe I can only turn the lure as it spins between the two points, thus cupped face lures are currently not available in my line of lures.
Thoughts being jawed chuck is needed to turn cupped face.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 11:38pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

New to lathes, may have used wrong wordings, the lathe I now have has the two pointy bits, thus I believe I can only turn the lure as it spins between the two points, thus cupped face lures are currently not available in my line of lures.
Thoughts being jawed chuck is needed to turn cupped face.

ok..  sounds like you have a wood turning lathe..  I havent used one of those before.. but maybe you could make a concave lure face if you machined the bulk of the cup in the lathe, then did the centre bit by hand..  just a thought..

I use a 3jaw to make my own lure shapes..  and it is good to make deep concaved  heads.

Ive made maybe 40 different shapes in 20 years..  I dont have the time or resources for scientific testing as Mr Pukula does to refine shapes..   but I have "stumbled" upon a couple of shapes that  work well from "day one" on our boat. 

In reality.. its probably better to tow a sprocket and a zuker  and a wide range as your core.. and play around on the edges withe home made stuff..

Page  123 131>