lure making and head shapes

Page  <1234 131>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 2:37am
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never underestimate 'stumbling' across shapes that work.

Re the 2 jaw chuck. I suggest 2 things, get a self aligning 3 jaw and go do some tech course on using lathes or go somewhere that has one and ask them for an hour of their time to run you through the basics. Most will oblige.

2 jaw chucks are based on having a spigot holding the piece in place. They can be pretty dangerous without that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:21am
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Re : What Peter mentioned about learning the basics... There is some fundamentals best learnt from those with experience Approve 

There is more than one way to "chuck" something on a lathe, you can 'jamb' chuck without even using a chuck just a faceplate, some guys vacuum chuck too. 

As someone mentioned it sounds like your using a wood lathe, I suggest finding your local wood turners guild... These old buggers are awesome and have a wealth of knowledge, and bits for sale too! 

As for shapes I'm just going to copy Peter's Big smile
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:41am
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ReelAppealLures ReelAppealLures wrote:

Re :
As for shapes I'm just going to copy Peter's Big smile

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Waits for the court date lol j/k

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 4:56pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for all the tips, has been a huge learning curve for me. And yes it is very addictive, almost to a point where there could be a need for a rehab meetings??? and yes I may be able to find a venue for anyone in Aucks with the need to attend.
Photos of my second creation which has just been dressed up with new skirts. I will keep experimenting and reading what others have to say.
Tight lines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 5:21pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where is everyone buying their skirts from (you know what I mean) 
Any cheap sources?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 5:43pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

Thanks for all the tips, has been a huge learning curve for me. And yes it is very addictive, almost to a point where there could be a need for a rehab meetings??? and yes I may be able to find a venue for anyone in Aucks with the need to attend.
Photos of my second creation which has just been dressed up with new skirts. I will keep experimenting and reading what others have to say.
Tight lines
# 2, your getting me all barred up well before the season......Lookin good fella....
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:36pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

torpedo7 search skirts 5 dollars each under 50 5 bucks shipping over 100 bucks free shipping
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:44pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Built_to_fish Built_to_fish wrote:

torpedo7 search skirts 5 dollars each under 50 5 bucks shipping over 100 bucks free shipping

Awsome, thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Griffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 6:49pm
Griffo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Built_to_fish Built_to_fish wrote:

Thumbs Up Thanks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

No worry's enjoy the skirt's the lumo ones are sweet :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 7:54pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

ooh wow that looks good enough to eat yknot...
your certainly making awesome clear looking lure...
very impressive...Thumbs Up

you have any idea what rig you should run with that????
like i mean, single or double rig????
you got a hook size that would fit that new lure of yours...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:56pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The head is approx 32mm, so the hook gap will be 32mm, will go shopping for these closer to start of season when re rigging lures.
Looking at running single hook, using the "Pakula"keel weight system to keep the hook in the zone.
Planning to run this lure on long corner.
Nec lure is the short corner, nice black and pink dress with a solid black head.
Star

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:08pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit fish Bait and Tackle in Silverdale (Auck) also have skirts for $5 each.

Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:05am
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In your lure:

Behind the head shoulders the skirt has a waist like a trenage girl, well some anyway). That is common even in production lures. Get a pair of scissors and cut the strands up to the back of the lure to elimate the waist. It will make the lure spin less and should be done on all lures.

The steep back cut at the back of the head may cause skirt blow back which can tangle them around the head or rig. Have a taper of minimum 45 degrees to elimate that problem or increase the back shoulder (where you glue the underskirt) so that the diamer of that shoulder = maximum diameter of the lure head.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 5:30pm
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fuk its cool to see the pros shareing the love , lots of dudes wouldnt do that mr pakula you are obviously a gentleman i for one will be buying some of your lures this season and in the future .Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:04pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

^ +1 and hes not all up himslef! awsome stuff...
has anyone tryed turning heads from acetal plastics or the like? prity dense easy to machine etc, comes in white and black, work with it heaps at work, been thinking about trying to make one from it but im a game fishing rookie, wuldnt no where to start!!! ahaha
zac
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:10pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

ANGLER MANAGMENT ask obald he has a full range with interchangeable skirts lock and load trace holders inter changeable weights they even catch fish...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 11:51am
Titanium
Titanium

This is the head murphy made now with bonze lumo skirts on it, it's now called lumo shrek :)
have not set the skirts in place yet. seeing what look's better cause of the red line in the skirts..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote User Friendly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 12:57pm
User Friendly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We bought a new laythe for the toolroom. the toolmaker would not let me turn any metal on it so bought a rod of acetal and turned up a heap of heads. Made all sorts of shapes and sizes tried some out in calm water over winter and kept the ones that looked like they could do the job. That was about 4 years ago. The shape that still works the best for us is still cylinder with flat or slightly concave head in black. We run at our own lures over 50% of the time they look pretty ordinary really but we are not catching fishermen only game fish and so far are pleased with the results.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 8:03pm
Murph View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey that's looking good there Built To Fish!!  Like the name too mate.
Page  <1234 131>