Lowrance Downscan (DSi) Sounder Shots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowrance Downscan (DSi) Sounder Shots
    Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 7:45pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Installed this last night (just the el-cheapo Elite 5x DSi) to see how it would go locally, despite looking very cheaply made, it performed well. I was under the impression these we're moreso for finding structure and NOT fish, but it showed fish very well, especially Tarakihi which really surprised me.

Here is a Wellington harbour wreck called the South Sea, it's a minesweeper than was rammed by the interisland ferry in 1942 and is intact apart from the superstructure which was removed during salvage atempts - you can clearly make out the hull. and where she's lying.

The South Sea:

Bow below, lying on it's side - loads of sediment to the hull sides.

The stern section from above.

The complete boat, shows alongside a traditional 2D sonar which shows little info on what it is.

Bait schooling over the rear of the hull. You can see how much sediment and debris has built up to the sides here due to tidal effects.

This is a kelp forest, amazing detail of individual stems and bases.

This is schooling Tarakihi.

The results from above!...

Great wee bit of kit and works very well next to traditional sonar, it showed fish more as actual size dots and lines not so much arches, also picked up thermoclines really well. Can't wait to get out and play with it again!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 8:24pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cry i want one too      im looking at upgrading my old finder to a dsi the shots looks good can one adjust the pic quality or is standerd (dont know much about finders) and was it easy to install
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 8:49pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Peace of cake to install. There is very limited options on it, it does not even do traditional 2D sonar only the 3D stuff, there isn't even a gain adjustment! Pixel count is pretty good at 480 x 480. I'd like to try side scan, but for my fishing I thing this basic structure scan will be great - certainly won't replace my main unit, but looks to be invaluable running alongside it. I saw stuff today I never knew existed!

The small vertical specs you see are my other sounder running alongside and causing interference, much cleaner when turned off. I picked it up for $700, which is pretty good, I think Marine deals has them for $999?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote M.I.L.F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:28pm
M.I.L.F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

what do you think of the hummingbird 597 di unit it cost more but it a combo unit do you get the water temp as well
KING SMURFIX
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 9:39pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks good on paper, it has a higher res screen at 640 x 480 pixels and more power but smaller screen. The Lowrance DSi does do water temp. Humminbird's have the most problematic transducers of any fish finder brand, that's one thing that put's me off them, mind you, Lowrance aint much better!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 11:15pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is it limited to quite shallow water Flyfisher? Guess it must be with such high frequency.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 11:59pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah limited to about 75m Mullins, had no issues in up to 30m today. Have you dived the South Sea out of interest? Be a walk in the park for you, would love to see some underwater pics of it, was thinking of lowering the GoPro down on the burley bucket. Apparently a very intact hull dive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:59am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool pix FF. i tried using it on holmes rock yesterday but it just didnt have the grunt to cope with that depth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:07pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, even with that beast HDS10 of yours, still limited to the 75m thing, such is the limits of ultra-high frequency Dave. I'm thinking of an HDS8 to run alongside the 750's already... never been a fan of Lowrance but yesterday changed my mind somewhat, I can see structure scan being very important for under 50m which is 80% of my fishing.

IMO nothing holds a candle to Garmin's charting as yet though, the bathmetry contour info is simply unbeatable and far more valuable than Navionics charting. Anyone wanna buy a new, used once Elite 5x DSI?!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 2:55pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Andrew, great writeups on sounders etcThumbs Up

have you seen or played with a "chirp" unit yet? These are supposed to be "out of this world" compared to conventional sounders.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 3:13pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff what freq is the downscan run on 455khz? and any pics of the trasducer setup?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 3:23pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have not played with Chip yet Kaveman, but it's surely the way forward, have a mate in aussie with one hooked up to his Garmin who was getting a good bottom reading in well over 1000m incl, fish sign, even a 2kw tdx would likely struggle at that depth!

They run at 800khz and 455khz Catchelot, will post a pic later, the transducer of the structure scan is a very small cylinder, about the size of a Vivid Marker, very streamlined and kicks up no spray despite a deep mounting depth, looks flimsy as hell though so longevity is doubtable?! 

One really interesting thing I found yesterday as that this unit would  not pick up the burley bucket at all! It had no issue with fish under it, but could not pick up the 3kg lead and pot weight hanging straight down 3m off the bottom, sometimes on 455khz it would show as the thinnest hairline horizontal mark (you can JUST make it out in the bottom pic at 11.5m down). This does not concern me as who needs to see it - only the fish around it. Never seen this before.

I found yesterday that under 15m the 800khz gave best results, over that - the 455khz had better detail and penetration. Here's another pic of individual fish from yesterday.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 3:30pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

this is my mates unit in action ,have seen it work in 70mtrs sweet as ,i been a furuno person myself but just now added the hds10 gen2 and i find the sonar picture and detail outstanding when on the hunt for fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 5:23pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was getting the bottom @ 120m today on down scan/HDS V1 @ 455khz. Not great but was good to see. Did not see fish with it though. Was not getting anything on sidescan.
For under 50m on the bottom and finding schools out to your side, the sidescan is the ducks nuts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 6:13pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah anything under 50 m and the ss delivers the goods in terms of detail. I can see single fish easy - made a big difference for me targetting snaps in the harbour. I may be wrong here but i think the hds units use a type of chirp system. I recall reading some techo guys talkin about it in the hull truth (i think). They even explained how it all works...pretty incredible stuff really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 12:26am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is the piddly little transducer Catchelot, the sidescan models have a long flat protrusion. This thing is tiny!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:38am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you seperated this one either side of the hull would it reduce interference from the sound generating cycle?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 8:16am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Will probably try that, but as the Garmin has different frequencies 200 / 50 kHz and the Lowrance 455 / 800khz they should have no effect on each other while in use, it's pretty minor interference. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 9:35am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, been through that one before and found that greater seperation between the ducers fixed it.  Dunno why, as I thought the same - different frequencies should not have an effect on the other but for some reason it did....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 3:42pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mount it to the left side and you will be away laughing