Mantis Shrimps - Kaipara

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote atis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 10:45pm
atis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

how would you catch that shrimp??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 5:25am
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We get them in multiple kilo lots from a commercial flounder/mullet fisherman. They reckon some times there'll be half a dozen hanging off one flounder, so they're obviously attracted to bait- low profile, side entry traps might work?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 9:16am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Would these shrimps be in the Manukau Harbour too?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 12:19pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Everywhere soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 1:16pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

We get them in multiple kilo lots from a commercial flounder/mullet fisherman. They reckon some times there'll be half a dozen hanging off one flounder, so they're obviously attracted to bait- low profile, side entry traps might work?

What would be the size range of the "samples" you're seeing herby?
Is there a market for them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 1:45pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by herby herby wrote:

What is happening with the ones you're getting Herby? Are they consumed locally or exported? Would be nice to think that we could eat them out of existence- especially if they eat carrion and are therefore probably quite easy to trap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 2:03pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Damn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 3:02pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Wow!
next question~~are they gonna fit in my yabbie pump?LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 5:47pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I ate some today.
VERY very tasty, but also extremely fiddly. You get bugger all meat out of them but they are really quite delicious.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 6:34pm
random View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've eaten them in Tahiti where they go by the name 'Varo'.
Good on the BBQ.
To catch them we found their holes, dangled a bit of flesh on a stick across it. When they cam out, you pull the stick laterally and skewer them with the 'squid jig' type end.

I'd imagine there'd be the same market for them as prawns/scampi?

Herby, you know any one dissecting tropical stuff at the mo?
I have a whole wahoo, fully intact. Pick up / drop off in Aucks only.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:18am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try these, catch them in the Solomons....

Should be seeing these in a few days I hope....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 11:22am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the only living thing on earth that can break the speed of sound apparently
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 2:15pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

the only living thing on earth that can break the speed of sound apparently

Except for my missus when there's a sale on at the budget shoe warehouse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote haywire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 6:34pm
haywire View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there,

Sorry, I know this post is old but thought I'd try my luck.

I'm a University of Auckland student and soon I'll be doing my Masters project on Japanese mantis shrimp. I'm particularly interested in their distribution around New Zealand, what sediments they seem to be caught around, what's eating them, population size etc etc.

Would anyone be interested in helping? It'd be cool to have some fishermen collect specimens if they find any, as well as people that would be willing to be surveyed if they are regularly catching these shrimp.

Any help is gratefully received!

Cheers
Hayley
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 6:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well for what it's worth they are in the Manukau Harbour but I've only ever seen one. Bound to be millions of them though. Any ideas on how to catch them?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 8:32pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have found them in the gut of Red Gurnard in the Manukau on occasion, but not always. As Gurnard prefer sand ,mud terrain can assume the shrimp like the same- unless gurnard have eaten them elsewhere before being caught.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 9:15am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The big invasive Japanese species was abundant in the Hokianga Harbour a few years back. Flounder fishers were getting them in their nets right up the harbour by Kohukohu.

I'm not sure what the situation is now. So far I haven't heard of any turning up here on the east coast in the Bay of Islands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:24am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those i have seen in gurnard have had some red on them. Unlike the photos,so am i seeing something else and not Mantis shrimp.??
Page  <12