'Dont post'

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:55am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Received a fairly extensive and abusive PM from some wonker I didn't even know because I posted a report and a pic of a decent snapper I had caught and decided to keepOuch. What the **** is with that???Confused

Love reading other's reports good or badApprove. I will still post a report when I do manage to get out and catch something worth reporting. The positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot around here.Thumbs Up
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 7:58am
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can put me in the same category as Tobez and I know of one other that doesn't post much any more for the same reasons .Great site and am more than happy to help anyone wanting info on Whiti and surronding areas etc ,and love reading others posts ,but once the back biteing starts I dont read that thread any more 
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:00am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Agree with the comments above. 

For some reason, the Walkabout section is virtually free from negativity. Having said that, one especially brilliant contributor has dropped out, I think because of bs he received. 

I've had my share of flak, and one thing I've noticed is that it is often typed after 9pm, when I guess blood alcohol levels are approaching the "invincible" mark.

Completely ignoring criticism is a good approach. It shows the utter contempt you feel better than any retaliation (in my opinion). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:03am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Finatic Finatic wrote:

Received a fairly extensive and abusive PM from some wonker I didn't even know because I posted a report and a pic of a decent snapper I had caught and decided to keepOuch. What the **** is with that???Confused

Love reading other's reports good or badApprove. I will still post a report when I do manage to get out and catch something worth reporting. The positives outweigh the negatives by a long shot around here.Thumbs Up

That  must have been a while ago I hear you have other things on your mind now mate and fishing is a distant memory LOLWink

....... I of course can relate Embarrassed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapper14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:31am
snapper14 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

did you really write that LJ or did you copy/paste it from the Divers Section???

i can understand there way of thinking but hell stop giving people a hard time when they dont even know the circumstances or the back ground of the person reporting his catch,
he could have a family/friends around and needs to feed them...
the fish might have been gut hooked may have been pulled from the deep and they dont carry a syringe onboard to let the air out, there are so many variable, why not just appreciate the catch report and be done with it...

couldn't have put it better. Clap especially the last bit.
If a man goes nowhere and theres no one there to see him, did he ever leave?

Munter - Outrageous Fortune.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:32am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would post more if I could, my contract stops me posting reports when the boss is on and often there aren't enough hours in the day. I still try and write them when I can or if we catch something special.
I wish more people would post reports. I love seeing what Is happening at home and makes me miss the fishing lifestyle in nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 8:55am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Moocha Moocha wrote:

That  must have been a while ago I hear you have other things on your mind now mate and fishing is a distant memory LOLWink

....... I of course can relate Embarrassed

Tell me about it bro!LOL
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:11am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I posted all the time, good or bad it did not matter, then I was told I was intimidating for some, then I was told the brand of reel i was using was sht,  then there were the baggers, what they like to call the experts on all things, they bagged pics of my grandies and my parents when I put of pics of there fishing things I am proud of then I got bagged for posting the same 2 snapper in two different posts, the second just an example from a previous trip then there are those who once you have posted ring around and ask if its true cause they were never told in the 1st instance and they should have been because they believed they are up there with all the name dropping, then they have the audacity to say things like well I knew you would know when someone else posts it, nothing short of jealous people who simply hope they can shoot you down
I started a post on my trips this year then lost the interest simple really, "why did you have to kill that magnificent fish" so that was the end of that, done over 2000nm this season and yip nailed a few marlin along the way and certainly lost a **** load, one day alone was 15 another was 9 so were doing it but posting the reports I dont, and have found when guys want to know stuff they just pm me.
I quite miss the reports I certainly read all yours and comment rather than just gather the info and go hammer your spot lol.

but why don't people really post any more, simple, the culture of the site has changed and there is an old saying "each to there own"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:28am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of the problems with bagging and abuse is that the Mods never get to hear of it, so it cannot be acted upon, particularly true if they are in PM form.
The other issue is if Mods were to edit or delete contrary posts all the time, it would kill discussions and once again the cry of censorship and nazism would ring out from those poor innocent deletees.
HOWEVER.... if there is a good thread going on, and someone weighs in with a bagging/abusive post, for pete's sake, use the "report this post" function to bring it to the attention of the mods, and notice will at least be taken and action will be taken where deemed necessary.
We try to keep an open mind on all this stuff, start a conversation with your mods team if you are unsure of what is OK, what can be done and any issues or suggestions you may have with the site. This is what the mods are for.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wahoo Woman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:39am
Wahoo Woman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I used to write a lot of trip reports but no longer do so...Cry I have been on the end of some nasty threatening pm's and no longer feel like putting the time and effort in to be treated in a way that I wouldnt find acceptable from a child let alone an adult. I got a marlin on 8 kg the other week and was super stoked but already got grief that it was under 90kg so no report Shocked 

I would like to see everyone be able to post their achievements without all the rubbish being thrown around because everyone has a different opinion. I agree with the above that if you dont have something nice to say.... DONT SAY IT.... Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:43am
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Wahoo Woman Wahoo Woman wrote:

I used to write a lot of trip reports but no longer do so...Cry I have been on the end of some nasty threatening pm's and no longer feel like putting the time and effort in to be treated in a way that I wouldnt find acceptable from a child let alone an adult. I got a marlin on 8 kg the other week and was super stoked but already got grief that it was under 90kg so no report Shocked 

I would like to see everyone be able to post their achievements without all the rubbish being thrown around because everyone has a different opinion. I agree with the above that if you dont have something nice to say.... DONT SAY IT.... Smile

See...damn it, thats the sorta thing im talking about, that would have been an awesome report in my book.

ClapClapClapWW

The general consensus seems to be "be nice" or shut up.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:44am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wahoo woman, that last line is one that should be in bold type at the top of all the forums!
Perhaps we need a "Contentious threads" forum, where such bickering can be indulged in.... although still with the same rules about content etc, ie: not an "adult themes" forum, but somewhere for folks to argue their points without upsetting good threads.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:47am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

your club accepts fish over 75 so all good and since when has 90k ever mattered in the 1st place. any marloon on light tackle is an achievement in itself, we may not see eye to eye but credit where credits due, I for one was very envious as no doubt were many more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:52am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought there was a place for those threads already Capt called the Moderators forum where all deleted /hidden threads go to die LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:59am
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Marlin on 8kg, I missed that report....

Well Done.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about, report away, who cares what people think.
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote beerbatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:02am
beerbatter View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well I'm taking a pledge to get my arse back into gear here!!! Thumbs Up I hate it when the dickheads win!!

I've been a bit slack in posting reports lately but I'm feeling motivated by reading this discussion. When I started out on this site I learned an awful lot from a bunch of good sorts who would answer my stupid questions, give me some encouragement when I was having no success and congratulate me on my good days. I soon learned that there are some very experienced people here and from reading their posts and chatting with them they have my utter respect. I used to be almost flattered when one of these people commented on my posts.

So anyways, I'm not giving up and hopefully there's some newbie like me years ago that finds my reports of use. 

I understand what people are saying about not posting about an average trip but I disagree... every fishing trip for me is not average coz just being able to go out fishing on my doorstep is far from an average thing. I don't care if a report isn't about an epic fish... just knowing that say "the channels have started to fire" or "it's gone quiet in close" etc etc is great to know, if you're happy to share. And reports of zilches get some respect from me too!

As for the detractors... I happy to take a converse view as long as they're worded in the right spirit. And if not... well, let them go for it, we can all see who they are and they will earn a rep and just be a laughing stock in the eye's of the good sorts... who are by far the majority here.

Well... I got me a report to do... and it was a zilch Embarrassed... but I hope it earns me some respect... hahaha LOL
In the rat race, even if you win, you're still a rat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:08am
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seems to me that the people that bag others on this site are usually newbies rather than the long contributing members (5 years plus). Also notice that they dissapear after a while. Also notice when they go on about how great they are only catching fish of 45cm plus they never show any pics (probably 4 foot keyboard heros as suggested).

I say harden up and keep posting as I will be! Bring on the wooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkups!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TOSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:09am
TOSF View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I'm with Mozz on this one, love seeing reports from home and love showing them to other international fishermen, makes me want to come home for the lifestyle everyday.
Sadly in our sport we get our fair share of ego maniacs that love to share there narrow minded views, our sport is always going to be controversial and I guess so will the posts. PM's of abuse is pretty week and taking it way to far. 
Mahimans post today was just pure class in my eyes, great photos and story, makes me miss NZ a whole lot more.

http://www.facebook.com/TonyOrtonSportFishingOffshoreAdventures
www.offshoreadventures.net
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote peeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:19am
peeda View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hardly put up reports but always read them. Can definitely tell people are getting hammered for keeping a few 20lbers etc. On the other hand, i fish for my limit and thats anything over 27cm. I blame inflation.
#UMad?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 10:48am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Good thread this so thanks for getting it going Peanut - it raises some excellent points. A fishing report is exactly that and most normal people would expect it’d be gratefully accepted by all who read it as helping to build our collective knowledge base of where the fish are, and how best to catch them.

Where things generally seem to go wrong is around fish size and quantities kept.

Generally we have no knowledge of others circumstances and for instance who they may be feeding with their catch. I’ve written this before but I’d suggest it is totally arrogant and particularly ungrateful to suggest that the contributor should adopt any particular view on size and or quantity when they have taken the time to share AND the person making the comment has no idea about the contributors’ circumstances.

Provided the contributor has adhered to the legal limits then what business is it of anyone else’s and particularly when you have no idea of how many people that are being fed from that particular catch, or whether they may like to cook smaller (but yes, legal) fish whole in a particular style etc?

We can take a harder line on this however as Capn A has alluded to, the mods and the admin team are dammed if they do/dammed if they don’t and the comments range from “not doing enough” to “over moderation and sanitisation”.  As a community, if you don’t like it tell the offenders that they should pull their bloody heads in and from what I’ve read in this thread so far, that’s how most feel. By all means have size/quantities as a separate discussion elsewhere but not in someone’s report!

The choice of to post or not to post is entirely up to the individual but the more reports we have the better our collective knowledge base is and it’s a pity that obviously some people who used to post their reports now don’t because of a few ungrateful people. That’s their choice but maybe it’s up to the Fishing.net.nz community to help make this a positive environment, as much as it is a moderators responsibility, as I believe we’re by and large a group of relatively normal adults.

To those that continue to post some excellent reports, many thanks Clap as I certainly enjoy reading them and on the odd occasion when I manage to get out for a decent session, I also am happy to have the reports forum to share that with anyone who's interested.
Online...
Page  <1234 5>