whatipu on monday

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loldev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whatipu on monday
    Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:26pm
loldev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thinking about heading to whatipu on monday will be my first time trying for a fish on the west coast. Will it be safe there? Looking at the tides High is at 930am and low is at 355pm 
Just a few questions, when would be the best time for me to go that day? What rig and bait would you use? 
cheers in advance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote memnoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:37pm
memnoch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

where abouts at whatipu? you going off the beach or rocks?

I have only fished the beach to the right of the light house there, on the last few hours of out going and then until incoming pushed me back. I used running rig with 5 ounce breakaway sinker
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote loldev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:53pm
loldev View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one, i'm not to sure where I will be positioned on Monday. I have looked at the 'Auckland Rock Fishing Guide' I guess I will see where looks the safest on the day and go from there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote memnoch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:59pm
memnoch View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

it has a steep drop off there too so be careful 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:00pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when I fished at whatipu I normally went to the rocks on the left hand side. Plenty of kingfish and snaps. Livebait a mac mac or kahawai if possible. 24kg tackle. Otherwise short ledger rig with 4/5oz sinker. Plenty of current. Mullet best. Followed by squid. We normally fished the low and the incoming then left if current got up too much or unsafe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 9:18am
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've always found that whatipu is easiest to fish over the low tide, access to the rocks is easy and from the beach it is possible to get to the channels. There are many options for places to fish both from the beach and from the rocks. 
When you get to the beach there is Paratutae island to the left, it's possible to fish on the east and west side of this (if fishing the west side facing the ocean then leave yourself plenty of time on the incoming tide to get back as you do not want to get cut off). The east side facing the harbour has a few spots, all easily accessible about 1-1.5 hours after high tide, the old wharf is the 1st rock ledge you come to, I've seen all sorts come in there but at this time of year I would be targeting early season gurnard. If you go further round the water gets deeper, the currents get stronger and the bottom get snaggier but the chance of catching keeper snapper, kahawai or kingfish increases. To target snaps there I have found that a single hook leger rig cast at least 50m out will get snagged the least. Kings on a live bait under a balloon. Don't fall in around here.
It is possible to fish the beach in the bay but it's unlikely you'll catch anything, Beach fishing is much better to the RH side of nine pin either right beside the rock or any spot walking north for about 30 minutes. There is a big channel that runs parallel to the beach for a couple of km's that can be cast into about 2 hours either side of the low, The currents are strong though so a min 4oz breakout sinker will be required, even that will sometimes be like straylining.
The other option is to fish off the nine pin rock itself, the sand has really built up around this rock lately which has made access to it much easier. If the tides are not too big I think it's possible to access it at virtually any stage of the tide. From here people tend to cast out big sinkers on running rigs to katch mainly kahawai (I heard a couple of guys caught 14 there last wednesday) or live bait for kings. You can also catch gurnard here during the slack tide when the current has calmed down a little.
As Fishing addiction said best bait is mullet, I also find pillie works well out there but it can get munted by small snaps or the current/ swell, have never had much luck with squid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 9:22am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by welshbaz welshbaz wrote:

I've always found that whatipu is easiest to fish over the low tide, access to the rocks is easy and from the beach it is possible to get to the channels. There are many options for places to fish both from the beach and from the rocks. 
When you get to the beach there is Paratutae island to the left, it's possible to fish on the east and west side of this (if fishing the west side facing the ocean then leave yourself plenty of time on the incoming tide to get back as you do not want to get cut off). The east side facing the harbour has a few spots, all easily accessible about 1-1.5 hours after high tide, the old wharf is the 1st rock ledge you come to, I've seen all sorts come in there but at this time of year I would be targeting early season gurnard. If you go further round the water gets deeper, the currents get stronger and the bottom get snaggier but the chance of catching keeper snapper, kahawai or kingfish increases. To target snaps there I have found that a single hook leger rig cast at least 50m out will get snagged the least. Kings on a live bait under a balloon. Don't fall in around here.
It is possible to fish the beach in the bay but it's unlikely you'll catch anything, Beach fishing is much better to the RH side of nine pin either right beside the rock or any spot walking north for about 30 minutes. There is a big channel that runs parallel to the beach for a couple of km's that can be cast into about 2 hours either side of the low, The currents are strong though so a min 4oz breakout sinker will be required, even that will sometimes be like straylining.
The other option is to fish off the nine pin rock itself, the sand has really built up around this rock lately which has made access to it much easier. If the tides are not too big I think it's possible to access it at virtually any stage of the tide. From here people tend to cast out big sinkers on running rigs to katch mainly kahawai (I heard a couple of guys caught 14 there last wednesday) or live bait for kings. You can also catch gurnard here during the slack tide when the current has calmed down a little.
As Fishing addiction said best bait is mullet, I also find pillie works well out there but it can get munted by small snaps or the current/ swell, have never had much luck with squid.

That's going to be the best advice you're going to get.
Just one thing, a life jacket wouldn't be out of place on the rocks here.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 9:30am
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by loldev loldev wrote:

Thinking about heading to whatipu on monday will be my first time trying for a fish on the west coast. Will it be safe there? Looking at the tides High is at 930am and low is at 355pm 
Just a few questions, when would be the best time for me to go that day? What rig and bait would you use? 
cheers in advance

Just for your enjoyment, low tide at Paratutae island is at 6.16pm on monday.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.