Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 186187188189190 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:00am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

been not to bad fishing last couple of attempts,
Last weekend I hooked my first Johndory on fly, did the idiot mistake of not using landing net and pulled hook at the skiff when trying for photo op!
couple of snaps as well that day, still nothing massive

and yesterday hooked into a heap of  good sized Kahawai that were busting hard against the shoreline,
gotta love the fishery we have, pretty lucky!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:55pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds great Adam Thumbs Up I can't figure those johnnies out. The three I have caught on fly have always been random captures in fairly quiet water with not a lot going on. That could be part of the secret. I can't imagine johnnies handle any competition too well.

Struggling to get out up here. Work getting in the way. I have some coldwater lines rigged and will be pestering some porae and trevally very soon...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:03am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It has been a quiet winter for me but at least I finally managed to put together some footage from last season up at Leigh. Enjoy.

PS watch right untill the very end.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 11:49am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Johan.  Looks like a magnificent day on the water!

Finger's crossed I get up to the NI this spring and get a bit of saltwater in my veins? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 3:11pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It was an awesome day on the water, not many of those last season. Always seemed to be 25knts SE from 6am.

Looking forward to things warming up. I dont like the cold and wet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 5:31pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah nice  vidThumbs Up
love the aerial shots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:45pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all - now settled in Auckland permanently after a few months travelling in South and Central America. Wasn't a fishing trip although I did try and get as much in as I could. Failed to connect with a golden dorado in the Bolivian jungle but did manage get its salty counterpart in the Golfe Dulce in Costa Rica, along with a nice jack crevalle. Briefly had a a roosterfish on fishing in the surf and saw some mounters hunting around me. So cool to see their combs cutting through the surface as they crashed mullet. Had a few smaller jacks on the Caribbean side, but everywhere I went the conditions were against me. Still wasn't suppose to be a fishing trip.

Now living in St Heliers and keen to connect with anyone living local to learn the area. Working on the North Shore so will be exploring there as well. Don't really know anyone much in NZ aside from my wifes famiily so keen to meet up with like minded salty fly crazy people.

Heading out to Waiheke this weekend and would appreciate any pointers or guidance people can give. Are we too early for snapper from the shore?

Ta

John

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote igfafly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 2:50pm
igfafly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pragtig Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saltflyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 6:05pm
saltflyfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey John snapper are all year round, winter is great. Do a search for some maps and tips that Island paddler once posted , he knew what he was doing! All the best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:30pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I managed to get out one arvo during the week. First for the season and headed out to the mangrove flats near my house to test my gear and cast a fly.  Managed one hookup on a decent panny but lost it at the boat.  Some footage below.  Enjoy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 12:07pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice little video there Johan... all the ingredients there for longer productions, especially the fact that you don't assault the viewer with obscene music at full volume Smile Nice to have your simple descriptions of what's going on too. Good stuff Thumbs Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 2:00pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Excellent video Jofly, Much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 7:40am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.  Next time I will try to remember the SD card for my microphone and recorder so that the sound won't be so horrible Disapprove

Later in the season I hope to get a rig sorted for my real camera, instead of the GoPro. That will make it look a lot better without all the weird effects of the widescreen on the GoPro.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 12:20pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have you tried linear mode? the new go pro 7 looks like it is finally becoming a functionaly micro handy piece of equipment incl photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8YatJ7cNuM
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:43pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, but linear on the Hero 6 is only up to 2.7k and on my boat I need the wide view to fit myself in the shot because I am so close to the camera.  

I did use it a bit last season but found that on the boat, in the haste of things, I often ended up with a badly skewed horizon, which then requires a fair zoom and crop in post. I was losing too much quality that way.  

So this season I decided to film in 4k30 wide which still has stabilization and output to 1080p.  This way I have lots of room to fix horizon's and also re-frame shots for smoother looking transitions when it is actually one long clip.

Eventually I will have a gimbal for my real camera (Panasonic GH5) and use that with a 12-35mm lens to give me plenty of options for filming.  I also plan to sort out my audio with a decent lapel mic and a general on camera mic.  That will free up the GoPro as a B-cam for underwater and different angles.

After all of that I will just need to give myself a makeover and wear a shock collar triggered by the word "emm" Confused. It really annoys me when I say that repeatedly on camera.

I have been following the Hero 7 and it looks great.  If it had linear mode in 4k I would have been sold on it but for now my hero 6 is good enough.  I mainly use it for filming while diving and linear mode would have been handy for macro stuff. Stabilized 4k60 still has me thinking about it though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 11:23am
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice to get onto fish at the back of Waiheke in this spring weather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:21pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Very nice Thumbs Up Some good looking snaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 4:01pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish.  Looking forward to summer. Were you fishing surface activity and letting it sink through or just drifting over some structure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 5:23pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish and sweet rideThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:44pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Page  <1 186187188189190 237>