Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 185186187188189 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 7:25am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The shallow water snapper fishing continues unabated. Once the moon got below the horizon the snaps switched on. Some wonderful fishing casting hard against structure and keeping some tension on the line as the fly sank.

Chased KY for a while over a widespread anchovy "school" and nailed some fatties for the smoker. 

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great fishing Thumbs Up Love that shallow water action
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 7:28am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just don't know how many snaps we landed yesterday. Nothing large but mostly legal models. Sneaking along casting into guts around boulders and rubble is the key. 

Most flies are getting chomped, but more hits are coming to flies with orange/red in their make up.Not a great shot but you get the idea.

Water is still warm. Some of the fish felt warmer than the air temp when pulled out. Fish were darker than those over the past weeks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 9:44am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looking good Thumbs Up An annoying and very persistent swell has interfered with the shallow water fishing up here over the past few weeks. Looking forward to this switch to westerlies (although I see there is another TC due to slide past within 'swell giving' range Angry).
Fully agree about the orange / red. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2018 at 10:24am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cold snap coming too; will be interesting to see if the water temp drops after this week. Pack attacked by 40cm bubba kingis too. Saw one larger model cruise by too, but wasn't ready enough to get a fly in front of him.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 2:16pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sweet snaps Snuffit!

I've been out of town for a few weeks. Any anchovy schools still inshore in the gulf??
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:14am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Havent got on the water for a couple of weeks, but the other day while walking the dog there was a massive muttonduck and tern workup in the marine reserve at Long Bay so I'd say the anchovies are around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MontanaAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:17pm
MontanaAngler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone know of a good shop in Auckland area that sells saltwater flies? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 1:28pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 2:37pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Havent got on the water for a couple of weeks, but the other day while walking the dog there was a massive mottonduck and tern workup in the marine reserve at Long Bay so I'd say the anchvies are around.

Cheers Nick. We were on them in there about a month back, good to hear thats still happening. There was the occasional kingi in there with them f.y.i. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 7:16pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was that the pet kingie you feed under the boat and attach to Stripstrike's line every so often when he's not looking to keep him interested?
Hope the nuptials in Hawaii were all that you hoped they'd be, Jeremy. Congrats. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:02pm
Gold
Gold

Haha yep thats the one! 

Hawaii was fun thanks, broke my bonefish duck but it wasnt easy...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shoreefishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 9:13am
shoreefishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Guys

Haven't reported in much the last month or so have been focused on the Rotorua trout.

My observations from the bays are the workups in close i:e within casting range from the beach/rocks havne't been as consistent as they have in previous years.

Having said that there are still good fish hanging around in smaller numbers.  Went down to my local in Torbay yesterday and we got a couple of nice kahawai from the rocks. Also had a crack at a couple of rat kingis but couldn't entice a hookup. Had a spearo diving in close to the reefs and he reported good numbers of Kingies around on the incoming tide so they are there if anyone wants to have a crack.

Wayne
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:25pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great info Wayne Thumbs Up Thanks for posting. I'm sure some fly flingers in that area will find that intel very helpful.

The anchovy work-ups are a bit slow to get going up here in the BOI's. Lots of anchovies about, but few predators hitting them. Hopefully the rain and onshore wind forecast for this weekend will stir things up a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 5:56pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip been fishing well,
[I can officially confirm that the shallow flats kings have  split from my usual haunts, the old swester seems to have that effect, they weregetting  really spooky anyways,pressure maybe,but  hav been nosing around backwaters, had a trophy king smoke my ass the other day, a triple wrap around a Mangrove!]
so I been targeting other stuff, Kahawai all over the joint.
Have yet to see any off the big snaps that ya get in ECB at autumn and are gonna start targeting big Trevs in the shallows that I got some intel on.
Good time of year for trips to all sorts of places, less Boat traffic etc.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:20am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks for update Adam. I always find it interesting how seasonal the kings are in the Waitemata. A touch of southerly and they're gone. They seem to last a bit longer in the Manukau and up at the Hokianga they're almost all year long. Probably some winter kings to be had somewhere in the Kaipara too. 

The onshore winds predicted for this weekend might warm things up a bit Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MontanaAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:24pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hey everyone, 
I'm headed up north for the weekend. Gonna be in the Bay of Islands/ Paihia region. I'm gonna bring a rod and see what I can find but I was wondering if anyone had any tips/ local knowledge from up there that they would be willing to share? 

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:13pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Are you boating or landbased?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MontanaAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:11pm
Bronze
Bronze

Mostly land based although I might rent a kayak one day. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:26pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Options are limited unless you get out to the islands. The edge of the golf course can be good at Waitangi, kahawai under the bridge at Waitangi or catch the ferry to Russell Wharf for a night fish under the lights. Some good spots on the rocks around Russell but the terrain is a nightmare. 

I personally would head further north and look at the beaches and rocky foreshore in Doubtless Bay. Taipa Rivermouth is easy to fish on the incoming tide. Big kahawai should be moving in and there might be some kings around still. Any of the rocks from Taipa through to Hihi can produce good snapper. 

Page  <1 185186187188189 237>