Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 176177178179180 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 6:56am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

re polution at meola. i caught a snapper that had been feeding in the muddy areas and it smelled reaaly bad. i cur it open when.i got home and its flesh was really grey and smelled bad. needless to say i threw it out.
i had a second one from the end channel and that one was totally fine so i guess it depends where they hang out and what they feed on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:04am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome fish!  Looks like it was well worth getting up early!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:27am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by nymphOmaniac nymphOmaniac wrote:

re polution at meola. i caught a snapper that had been feeding in the muddy areas and it smelled reaaly bad. i cur it open when.i got home and its flesh was really grey and smelled bad. needless to say i threw it out.
i had a second one from the end channel and that one was totally fine so i guess it depends where they hang out and what they feed on.

Obviously I don't know the circumstances, and I'm not calling your knowledge into question, but do you think you may have caught a post-spawner, rather than that being effects of pollution?
Once snapper start spawning in early summer, snapper fishos occasionally catch what trout fishos would call a "slab". They are skinny, and go pretty grey when out of the water, and inside their flesh is soft and white/grey and it never sets in the chilly bin, no matter how cold they get.
Because of their poor condition, they can go off faster.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 1:45pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great catch Nick (Snuffit) Clap The Waitemata is an excellent fishing hole.

I just went out up here and scared a kingfish but the sea is churned to foam by a million holidaying Aucklanders and the water is brown after the storm. I'm looking forward to clearer seas, on the surface and below. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 5:39pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Nick!

geeez its a small world,
I walked out to a certain spot yesterday,
I guy on the track says' oh I just seen another guy with a flyrod, in a ally boat catch a king'LOL,
then I set myself up and are dicking around withmy flybox and Mark jumps out from behind the bushes!LOLLOL

F@#$N Bridge Pool!LOLLOLLOL
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:08pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Managed to get out Sunday evening to test the casting deck I built.  Even landed a small snapper as well.

Here is the video:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 10:55pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey this swoffing thing is pretty spooky, I was walking along a beach and there's a guy hiding in the shore line vegetation slipping some pilchard onto a clouser ...Wink

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 6:28am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

LOL LOL Always pays to check the shoreline vegetation to make sure Wolfie's not lurking in there somewhere LOL

Another good video Johan. Does your line get hung up on that rod holder?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:13am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

LOL

< -cfasync="false" ="/cdn-cgi/s/af2821b0/cloudflare-static/email-decode.min.js">
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:16am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Yes! Very annoyingly, so it will be moved before the next trip.  

The only other obstacle is the anchor.  Not sure what to do with that yet, any ideas appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:17am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Nick!

geeez its a small world,
I walked out to a certain spot yesterday,
I guy on the track says' oh I just seen another guy with a flyrod, in a ally boat catch a king'LOL,
then I set myself up and are dicking around withmy flybox and Mark jumps out from behind the bushes!LOLLOL

< -cfasync="false" ="/cdn-cgi/s/af2821b0/cloudflare-static/email-decode.min.js">

I don't know how well you guys are managing this "secret spot" thing LOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 8:18am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

The only other obstacle is the anchor.  Not sure what to do with that yet, any ideas appreciated.

I store mine under the casting deck. Not so sure you have that option. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 5:51pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

see I told ya,
not only does he sneek up on ya
he takes photos when your unaware!

Bugger off with ya PillysAngryLOL
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:40pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

I store mine under the casting deck. Not so sure you have that option. 

I noted you have the same aqua sandals as I got a while back - and now don't use anymore as my fly line finds every strap or toggle on that footwear in a split second.
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

see I told ya,
not only does he sneek up on ya
he takes photos when your unaware!

Bugger off with ya PillysAngryLOL

Mate when you are catching un-naturual numbers of kings around Auckland you gotta expect the paparazzi to be close behind!Cool
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 6:52am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

LOL... and the spies! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:46am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by wolfie5 wolfie5 wrote:

I noted you have the same aqua sandals as I got a while back - and now don't use anymore as my fly line finds every strap or toggle on that footwear in a split second.

Yes, I did have some trouble with that, will be looking into something more like the shimano eviar sandals that have nothing on them.  I'm not keen on barefoot on the boat as some do, way too many sharp things around!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 10:37am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

These are good. Can handle oysters and don't collect too much mud and sand in them because the toes are sealed over. I often where mine with wetsuit socks and found them great in the tropics. No ankle rubbing issues that I have with other shoes (I seem to have low ankles Confused!)

Croc Offroad Sport

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 4:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

Craig is very keen on crocs, and now they are into their fashion developments to lure in lady anglers ...Tongue
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:41pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

HEHE gold.  At least you know he wont loose them in that colour?

Iv got a couple of pairs of these.   

Brilliant shoe by Croc.  Only problem is it looks like they have stopped making them?  Il be pissed when my last pair dies, and I cant buy more.   Best things about them is that they have a solid rubber sole as on a boot, so no issues on sharp rocks and the laces mean they dont come of your feet when walking in water like most crocs. 
Page  <1 176177178179180 237>