Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 184185186187188 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 3:15pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's cool RF!
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 7:49pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like the fishing is hot! Congrats to all. Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 5:24pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, back on my annual trip to NZ, but this year I am here to stay so will be putting in a lot of effort in the salt around Auckland and further afield.

Am very keen to get out tomorrow from the shore. Are the North shore work ups mentioned earlier in the thread still going on and would that be my best bet for some action. Otherwise will probably hit some local
spots in the Manukau that some of you guys showed me previously. Apologies, I can't remember who it was I met.

If anyone else fancies joining me I would be very keen for company.

Ta

John
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R.A.B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:47pm
R.A.B View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The kingies have been very active around Pt Chev. Been out the last two afternoons as low tide is settling and have seen them aggressively hitting baitfish, unfortunately with no hook ups just snags.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 8:43pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hengemaster Hengemaster wrote:

Hi guys, back on my annual trip to NZ, but this year I am here to stay so will be putting in a lot of effort in the salt around Auckland and further afield.

Am very keen to get out tomorrow from the shore. Are the North shore work ups mentioned earlier in the thread still going on and would that be my best bet for some action. Otherwise will probably hit some local
spots in the Manukau that some of you guys showed me previously. Apologies, I can't remember who it was I met.

If anyone else fancies joining me I would be very keen for company.

Ta

John

Yes, big anchovy schools still present. Had a big session on ky smashing anchovies this morning. Nailed some nice snaps too, real fatties.

Just back from dog walking and the birds are still working a couple hundred metres offshore at milford.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:21pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers guys much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:31am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Craig, when do KY spawn? Wikipedia says "Austral spring" but Saturday's fish while long were pretty skinny on it and looked distinctly post spawn to my untrained eye. Still smoked a couple, absolutely delicious!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:02am
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Snuffit. Snuffit. wrote:

Craig, when do KY spawn? Wikipedia says "Austral spring" but Saturday's fish while long were pretty skinny on it and looked distinctly post spawn to my untrained eye. Still smoked a couple, absolutely delicious!
I just bought a copy of the book "A Treasury of NZ Fishes" by David H. Graham (Reed 1953) in which he says:
"I was not able to obtain obtain female Kahawai with fully ripe roes. In some specimens examined in February 1932 and again in 1933, I found ovaries so well developed as to suggest they would be ripe in March or April, but where they go to spawn remains a mystery."

><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:21am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, they always spawn in Autumn here. We catch plenty of the fat roed up monsters at this time of the year, but they seem to disappear from the BOI's after spawning. Catch a few spent fish, but not many. Not sure what is going on or where they go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:30am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers lads. Looks like they've just done the biz and are in hard out recovery mode scoffing anchovies. Thought I'd add that I shared a large acreage of work up with stick bait throwers who caught nada, before trollers descended and drove all through the anchovies. One damn near drove over my line as I played a fish. Because they were trying to hook up fish for the kids on board I yanked the line hard, broke the fish off and cleared my line before it became prop fodder.  Hope the littleuns got a fish or two, I moved on soon after. It was perfect fishing, casting to individual sighted fish, we don't often get conditions that allow that.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:45pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ha ha
had that so many times
Fly rods permently bent,

and the haines hunters and rayglass' brigade areblanked out and stressed
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:13am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow, a beautiful surf was breaking at the Black Rocks last night; a nice even swell and offshore breeze formed stunning waves. Surfers having a ball, as was my dog who loves swimming the breakers. But because this is a fishing site rather than Dog Walkers Weekly Big smile I have to report the absence of terns who probably know whats good for them and were off roosting safely prior to the expected blow. KY were still busting up offshore though. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 9:27pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got this close to a king this morning, close enough to hear it chuckle to itself as it ignored my fly and kept on going ...Angry
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 7:39am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

You could just about hit it on the head with the rod tip at that distance!

Sometimes the close feeders are the hardest ones of all. On Aitutaki I managed to intercept a school of mid-range GTs (5 or 6 kilos) that were regularly busting up one of the boat parks. Had another guy with me with a spin rod and a small popper. I was armed with the appropriate sized baitfish fly. The GTs came in and started crashing everywhere. There were small mullet flying all over the place and we got lots of direct presentations to fish that were feeding madly. Nothing! No hook-ups or even missed strikes. We just looked at each other afterwards with bemused looks on our faces and wondered how we could have missed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 8:30pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yes they were very tough customers, but as the photo below shows, in top right corner, those kingfish were whacking their prey when they found it!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:51pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like the action is hot.  My morning drive past Pt Chev and the return in this arvo produced lots of action right next to the motorway in the marine reserve area.  Big splashes all over and birds diving hard out in the shallows.  Needless to say I nearly crashed a couple of times Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 5:28pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Jofly Jofly wrote:

Looks like the action is hot.  My morning drive past Pt Chev and the return in this arvo produced lots of action right next to the motorway in the marine reserve area.  Big splashes all over and birds diving hard out in the shallows.  Needless to say I nearly crashed a couple of times Confused

And where were all the flyflingers when they were needed to deal with the situation?Tongue
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:43am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a great little session on Meola Reef Thursday evening, first time I've been out this summer as have mainly been boat fishing but would have landed at least 25 snapper in 2 hours, with nearly half of those being of legal size and the biggest would have been close to 50cm. good fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:13pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds like great fishing RC. No doubt Meola was inundated with fly fishers after that posting! That long tough walk out over the oysters might put a few off?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 4:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Sounds like great fishing RC. No doubt Meola was inundated with fly fishers after that posting! That long tough walk out over the oysters might put a few off?

Between the oysters and ominous weather: not many, if any ...
The Auckland Swoffer
Page  <1 184185186187188 237>