Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 178179180181182 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 5:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

Got 3 shots in this morning.
1 landed, another I blew[struck to soon] and the other wouldn't eat.
I rekon this one is my favouriteso far, real pretty fish, all chromed up on the sides and suttle greens on top.
real fatty too.

Wow well done great king
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saltflyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
saltflyfish View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had a great morning with you guys, pleased we found some fish.
I will send some more photos
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 11:54pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by saltflyfish saltflyfish wrote:

I had a great morning with you guys, pleased we found some fish.
I will send some more photos

Yes that a great outing, got some photos to send your way as well.

Opened my eyes to more potential spots around the Auckland and Manukau - obviously one can get blinkered into thinking fish are only in a few certain places. Thumbs Up

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 5:03pm
Platinum
Platinum

Got out on the sandbanks this afternoon with the wee wifey to keep some momentum on her casting practice ... a strong Nor 'easter blowing straight in made the casting a challenge but she got some good ones away. Water was a bit muddied and shallow so no surprises on the lack of fishy response.

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 5:26pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Learnt something today,
when its a bit choppy, don't use crease or popper style flys

twice presented to same fish, twice he accepted and opened up his mouth to consume,
but twice the movement of the swell pushed the fly to the crest of a wave and away from the fishys mouth.
murphys law ment that by the time I clicked onto this and changed to a deceiver the fishys all disappeared to werever  it is they disappear too!
all good,

tell ya what tho, that view ya get looking down their throats,is something else.
the great abyss of doom for them little baitfish.

also tried a new Crease fly id tyed which had a bit of that shiny stick on scale sticker.
rejected,
ty on my basic 'Estimulater',which is just colored brown and black spots with a sharpie.
yip, ill eat that.

suppose its that old thing were just because it looks cool,dont mean it is cool!
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 5:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

Heads up for any looking a swoffing bargain - found these Black magic teaser flies selling for 5 for $5.95. Reckon they'd be a useful pattern for kahawai as small enough to cover whitebait /anchovies and on quite decent hooks. Only issue would be the kirbed bend, but sure some persuasion with a pair of pliers could set them straight.
(Also available in red and green - Merry Christmas!)

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 11:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

It's been a while since I've been updating my site, so done a piece from the recent trip out with Matt on Saltfly and some other aspects of the trip are to follow soon.

Enjoy!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:11am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Good going Adam and Wolfie Thumbs Up I've been sitting here at 5am thinking about going out, but we still have easterlies and waves of drizzly rain are washing over the hill Unhappy. It's tough being in the Bay of Islands in a La Nina weather year! Still, it's encouraging a few holidaymakers to go home Clap. Fishing should be good when the weather finally lets me out. Looks like Wednesday or Thursday now by the weather map.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 6:54pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out last night at the last minute to test out the modifications to the electric motor before my planned trip today. Managed a small snap in the same spot Wolfie did. Only difference it was a lot calmer last night. There were even some small baitfish being chased in the shallows but I could get no takers. Not sure what was doing the chasing.

Big bummer was that I broke the tip of my 8wt Sage Xi2 Cry.  Anyone know if it is still possible to get replacement tips for these and how much?

Today I went out with my mate as planned and by the time (11am) we get out on the harbour it is already 10kn + and was probably about 20kn by the time we gave up.  We did check out some interesting sheltered bays with clearish water for future exploration, so not all  lost. 

Oh and nothing broke today, that I know of yet!

The new location and setup for the electric motor works a lot better but is far from perfect yet. The shade cloth over the anchor is great though, thanks Fraser Clap for the idea.

Finally the snapper and the fly it got fooled with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:36pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Johan, your weather looks stunning. I ventured out into a wall of drizzle in the hope that the wind would die and the drizzle would ease. Unfortunately both increased in intensity, and the water was brown even on the incoming tide. I went home cold and wet. Enjoy your lovely weather while you've got it.

And yes- you can get a tip replacement for a Sage Xi2. There is a service fee.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 10:35am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just send the broken tip ferrule piece back to SAGE yourself.

All the info is on their website.
No problem getting the Xi2 replaced.

As Craig mentioned there is a fee and they ship it back to you.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:45pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

^wot they said. I reckon I'm on their database as clutziest angler in the world. All returned safe and fixed after a remarkably small fee paid. Thumbs Up
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:54pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks all, feeling much more happy now. Will be sending it away asap.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:44pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah bugger to hear about the rod Kevin.  Yea as the others said, they have great backup, so I'm sure you will be back in action soon! 

Glad to see the mesh did the trick Johan.  How you finding it?   Nothing else to catch up on now?  

I used to also install mesh netting from the underside of the gunnels also, where I had rod racks. Like curtains hanging down. Means you can still access stuff, but no line catching up on stuff. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:08am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The mesh works very well, only 3 things remain that catch the line.

1. my sandals! Looking at upgrading to something snagless soon.

2. my used flies that I stick in my foam rod holders to dry.

3. reels on rods stored in the vertical rod holders behind me.

Last two only when there is wind.  I am short on rod storage so not sure what to do about the last one.  The used flies will simply be moved somewhere else accessible but out of the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 11:32am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1. Never wear shoes while SWF'ing from the boat. Line will always catch under a shoe esp when you don't need it to, and you wont know until its too late. (First thing I say to anyone fishing from my boat is 'shoes off').
2. I got a Simms slotted patch thing that sticks to any flat surface - any chance you can move yours?
3. Put your reel covers on over the rod and reel. smooths out all the sticky out bits like reel handles.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 2:16pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Two kings to hand this morning
pic of one
beaut conditions,nice to have a nowind  morning.
seen another couple of flymen about.
yous better keep location hush![sorry paranoidEmbarrassedLOL]
I don't want it to end up like the 'Auckland yakkers' spot
[its apparently a total circus now] 
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 5:30pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice king again. Yeah I am trying to avoid our king spot now after having a monopoly for a few good years. Plenty of other good king spots but livies are not so handy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:18pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent work Adam Clap You've got a nice class of fish lined up there Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:21pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You're on a roll with all those kings! Clap
Page  <1 178179180181182 237>