Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 171172173174175 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:53pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went out today and had a good one. managed 15 snapper with 2 just on legal. work up are going hard at the moment. also managed to get good kahawai

i had bait fishers bust in right beside me so i moved and they busted in on me again. but i out fished them and some of the snapper were spitting squid when i pulled them in. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:50am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds good Brad. The baby squid being coughed up is interesting. I know someone who caught skippies up Omaha way last year on fly and they were doing the same. Must be a lot of squid in the Gulf.

I'm getting out a bit but dealing with a lot of small fish. The anchovy runs that bring fish into the ledges I frequent have only just started. Anticipating a bit of action after this rain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:13pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the squid was from the bait fishermen. the ledge i was on was further in so i was able to cast the same distance to where the bait fisho were so i would say they were stripping the bait before i caught them.

yep anchovy runs all up the east coast at the moment. i had a great time at this spot a few years back where it was a work up the size of an olympic swimming pool reachable from the beach and i had one of my best days. i even had a croud which i didnt know about until i lost a fish and heard a chorus of ooooooo behind me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 3:08pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, best part of the anchovy run always seems a month earlier in Auckland. Ours starts later but extends well into June.

I just popped to get a few casts in before the rain. Absolutely dead in terms of hits on the fly but I did have a shark take out some mullet close to my feet. There was an almighty explosion then a fin cutting through the water in front of me five minutes later. Great to see in a very quiet little backwater in by the ramp. Reminded me once again that fishing isn't always about catching fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 5:27pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anchovies are definitely around in Auckland. Was out Saturday AM. Lots of anchovies around on the sounder and visible on the surface early AM in Rangitoto channel area but no predators in attendance so we moved to the North Shore based on intel from the previous day.

Found the first work-up's around Murray's bay on the North Shore only from about 08:30 and they were only in full swing between Murray's and Brown's bay by about 10:00am when we needed to head back. Lots of kayakers fishing for snapper but only one other boat.

2 x kahawai and 1 x snapper landed on fly. The kahawai are XL size at the moment. Didn't weigh them but certainly some of the biggest I have ever landed.  Very focussed on anchovies so you need to "mathc the hatch" to hook up.

The snapper went about 40cm and was caught on the drop while fishing a work-up and waiting for things to happen.  I really need a sinking line to target them. Can't get down deep enough with my intermediate. I think one of those interceptor's of yours would work very well for that Craig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 8:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Johan, for snapper I used to find the best method was to fish deep in the areas where the work-ups had just been, well away from the main action. It's not too hard to get a fly down if the drift is gentle. A stationary fly or a very slow retrieve works fine. 

There's never a chance of getting a fly to the bottom in the middle of the full-on action. You'll get plenty of kahawai though. 

I also went really big last year in a work-up. Used a heavily dressed 8/0 fly in order to get away from the kahawai. Took three good snapper in succession. Kahawai don't like the big fly so much, but snapper don't care. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 10:26am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Craig, I tried again this weekend but had not luck getting my fly down to the fish, even in only 7m of water. I had a drogue out to slow down my drift but the wind and current won.  

I did manage one tiny snapper and a mid sized jack mackerel on the fly but frustration with not getting down drove me to my soft bait rod.  That was very successful but nothing over 30cm and one ky.

Lots happening on the sounder in same area as last weekend but I think the wind chop kept them well under the surface this time round.  I did see a few brief surface bust-ups but only lasted seconds.

What line would you recommend for fast sinking?  I am currently thinking a 9wt Airflo 40plus Di7 sinking line to cover both my 8wt Sage Xi2 and my old and slow 10wt Cabelas rod.  

Thoughts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 1:08pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

This will get you down:

https://www.rioproducts.com/products/tropical/leviathan-26ft-sink-tip

The lines under 400gn come with welded loops on the end. If you buy one of these lines here make sure it has a welded loop on it. I vaguely recall something about old stock not having welded loops... can't remember... anyway, it's worth checking on.

These lines have serious strength cores so you can take a wrap and just hang on!

Try slowing down everything too, in order to find bigger fish. The more action in a fly or lure the more you will attract little snapper. I fish big flies through the work-ups and just drift them deep and slow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:27pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well finally had a good time down at Pt Chevalier sand banks - best session since last summer. Our beloved moderator's Crab fly was the business for the first hour or so before I switched to a more conventional clouser style pattern.
 More over on my webpage ...
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 6:52am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Snapper will eat anything! Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 8:18am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I must admit I'm also pleased to see the eyes stayed on that fly. It shows that those felt pads for chair leg ends are good for gluing things to because the glue soaks right into the fibres and creates a strong attachment. I should try making some more. Some that don't look so ugly!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 7:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yes the construction is certainly impressive - that fly has been in a kingfish gob and bitten at least 30-40 times by toothy snapper and looks untouched!
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 9:00pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice, how much longer do you think they will be around? 

I'm keen to try drifting the shallows with the boat at some point. It's not far from me, just need to get the tides right so I don't spend several hours stranded on a mudflat waiting for the water to come back Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

The tide was a low high (2.8m IIRC)- normally avoid, but found that it was good in that the level dropped more slowly and the fishing time towards low was extended as the water didn't go below the sand bar outlet height so quickly. Also the burley doesn't dissipate so quickly ... used anchovies for first time. Impression was they are less oily than pillies, but easier to break up by hand than hacking pillies with a knife.

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

I was out on Saturday morning, before the wind arrived, and I can report that yellowtail hoodlums are still patrolling the flats, probably because the water temp is still around 19 degrees. Who knows if there may yet be the possibility of a kingfish in May for land based swoffers?
Unfortunately the fish I saw were not interested in anything that I or my companion had to offer. Certainly didn't seem to be crab feeding.

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:42pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by wolfie5 wolfie5 wrote:

I was out on Saturday morning, before the wind arrived, and I can report that yellowtail hoodlums are still patrolling the flats, probably because the water temp is still around 19 degrees. Who knows if there may yet be the possibility of a kingfish in May for land based swoffers?
Unfortunately the fish I saw were not interested in anything that I or my companion had to offer. Certainly didn't seem to be crab feeding.

Cheers Wolfie, good intell. Were you on the Manukau?

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:34pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like to Go small Mark,[I no ya mooch around the same sort of skinnywater as I!!]
Sparesly tied deceiver [green or blue over white]
2/0 or 1/0,

if that fails,
ive had success this time of year on a floating/semi submerged baby flounder pattern.
Also good to experiment with retrieve speed[quick with a sudden dead stop is a good one]
have found that if there in skinny water there keyed onto small easy to catch prey.
ive been pressed for time this summer with family commitments and adverse weather,
so am not 100% informed on whats workin at mo, but give it a crack.
this time of year is my favourite,
Big snaps in the kelp,large kingys in the skinny sand and Even trevs out west,and off course Big Kahawai around the ECB.

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 10:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Been a while since my last outing, so Saturday morning - in the thick fog - saw me out on the Manukau with Alan Bulmer. Mirror calm water, zero wind - and no excuse for not getting a decent cast away. However the fish were conspicuous by  their absence for first two hours. But as falling tide turned Alan got a sold hook up:

Turned out to be a nice sized kahawai that did a good few jumps 

However the 8 weight Epic  rod took it toll and the fish was heading into the shallows

and then the hook pulled out ... but Alan took it all in his stride as reeled in to check the fly ...

At least it's good to know the fish are still around, just got to brave the cold and get out there!

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:19am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looks great Wolfie Clap

Those Manukau Harbour fogs sure can be thick!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 5:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Looks great Wolfie Clap

Those Manukau Harbour fogs sure can be thick!

Fog only got thicker as we fished on - very quiet without the usual drone of overhead jets coming and going to the airport!

The Auckland Swoffer
Page  <1 171172173174175 237>