Who's been saltwater fly fishing? Auckland

Page  <1 169170171172173 237>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:26am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out on the Manukau this morning - hooked one bouncing kahawai in the dull grey, breezey conditions ...

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 10:50am
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice action shot. This constant wind has been driving me crazy, a well back to work tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 12:51pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, these persistent westerlies are not doing much for the fishing. An easterly will transform things no doubt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 9:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

My new piper fly - looks and moves just like the real thing - bugger to cast though Wink

The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 7:39am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tongue
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 6:46pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nearly had an IBM today (involuntary bowell movement ). Popped down to my local for the first time in a long while. Nice morning, no-one else about, tide moving slowly out, relaxed, everything's cool, getting back into the swing when without warning an easily legal kingi decides to get right out of the water onto the rocks that I'm standing on!! A metre behind my left foot. 4cm of water on the rocks. Of course as soon as it realises it's on terra firma, all unholy hell breaks loose!! Geez I could have knelt down and grabbed the bloody thing if I hadn't been six feet in the air....!! Wonders never cease.
So if anyone thinks that they can relax as their fly nears their feet with the retrieve, think again!!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 2:27pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went out to meola last night. interesting to see there are now large seagrass beds there. Also plenty of snapper diggings.
Managed to get 8 small snapper with one being 35cm. Also a stingray floundering around in the shallows so all you could see were the fins in the air.
Met another swoffer down there and had a bit of a chat. I had left my stripping tray in the car so I was mostly sorting tangles while i was trying to talk.
Will have to go out there again

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 7:11am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds like fun Brad. The westerlies up here have been so persistent and the rain so non-existent that fishing has been going from bad to worse. There appears to be a great lack of even small snapper close in, few kahawai, and all the swimmers are moaning about how cold the water is. The only fish that seems to be biting well are trevally, but they're tricky in the ultra-clear conditions that persist. 

We're down on our knees hoping for a bit of rain next weekend and maybe a hint of a northeasterly that might stir some life into the ocean. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 9:52am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Launched from Takapuna at 0530 today heading straight for the channel markers.

First King busted half my flyline on the marker so swapped to my intermediate line.

Next King landed - 72cm - first kingi on fly for me!

Only one more follow on the markers from a +- 1m king, right to the boat. Then I headed for the workups off Rangitoto.  Lots of birds working and lots of fish.

Switched to my 6wt in anticipation of catching kahawai, only to find out they are rat kings. Landed the first, one +- 50cm, then my knot parted on the next one. The 3rd one turned into a monter 57cm (to the fork of the tail) kahawai! Man it fought hard on my 6wt!

Then the other boats showed up and I called it a day. Home for breakfast by 0830.  I will post in the kingis off marker boys thread about the tactics that worked.

Photos

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 11:52am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great work Johan! Clap Water still cold up here with few kings to be seen. Hoping that this easterly blow today sorts it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 1:39pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Craig,

I was lucky with a brief "calm before the storm" weather window this morning.  Blowing a gale here now. Seems the fish were making the most of it too.  Lots of rat kings chasing what I believe to be anchovies. Interestingly, they nearly had their backs and tails out of the water at times and would come up in patchy small boils. The fly had to land in the middle of one of these boils to be consumed. 5 meters away and zero action. When the fly finally landed in amongst it, no more than 3 strips and I was on.  

That was the hard part, trying to anticipate where they would come up and getting close enough without spooking them.  Parking up close to the action with the engine off and then drifting around and waiting for them to come close to the boat seemed to be the best option. They didn't like the sound of the boat. The smaller fly in the photo is the one that did the trick. Tied like a clouser with SF Blend and tungsten dumbbell eyes on a # 2 SL12S hook.

Anyhow, what a fantastic morning. We are so lucky in NZ with fishing like this minutes from home in a major city! Hope your kings turn up soon, seems like it's all a bit later this year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2017 at 7:06pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice action Jofly!
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 8:20am
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mooiskoot Johan!! If my little boat was up and running I'd be doing exactly the same boet!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 4:32pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out from Takapuna boat ramp at 0530. Landed one 62cm kingi off channel marker and had a bust off as well. After this we went to look for the usual workups but found nothing. Eventually tried to soft bait for snapper with minimal success as well.

At about 1000 we headed for the boat ramp only to find workups nearly at the ramp that turned out to be rat kings with kahawai mixed in between.  Landed 3 kingis and 1 kahawai in the 1.5hrs that followed.

Photo of the channel marker kingi.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:47pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had some more success launching from Takapuna on Waitangi Day. No one in residence at the channel markers this time. Not sure why but not even a single follow.

Took some time to find a workup as well, eventually found them on the northwestern side of Rangitoto, reasonably close to shore. Both schools of kings and kahawai present chasing anchovies.  

Interesting observation was that the Kingi schools were attended by very few birds, and the few that were there were almost all terns while the kahawai schools seem to be hounded by large flocks of shearwaters and diving petrels in addition to terns.  Not a hard and fast rule though, since we did find some kahawai with very few birds as well.

Landed 5 Kingis up to 68cm and a few kahawai.  Home by 11am. They wanted nothing except small size 2 anchovy type patterns.

Note the other fly fishing boat in the background fishing the workup. They landed a few as well from what we saw.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

Got out onto the Pt Chev sandbanks this afternoon - been nearly couple of months since last visit. Timed it  bit late on the ebb, wading out to the channels, found the water was getting murky as the NE breeze stirred up the silt as the depth shallowed. But with the help of some pilchards hooked about 8-9 kahawai and one small snapper. Reckon I would have done much better on the high tide with clearer, deeper water. Nevertheless, all great fun bending the 7 weight almost to corks on 35cm kahawai!
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:38pm
Gold
Gold

Nice to hear you were getting amongst a few today Wolfie.

I fished there about 3 weeks back for 1 x keeper and loads of throwback snapper.

Traditionally I found that spot fishes best from now until about the middle / end of April
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear you're still on the local scene, TZ. With some warmer temps now and hopefully more settled weather the fishing will improve.

Did see a couple of swoffers working up near the motorway on the king tides a few weeks back - no doubt looking for some kingfish. 
Personally I've only had one sighting of his majesty there since my capture 2 yrs back ...
The Auckland Swoffer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 7:22am
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

funny i did the complete opposite and got there only half an hour after the high and ended up wading out chest hight trying to find the bank as i couldnt see it and took half an hour before i managed to find the ledge. I did manage a few small snapper and when i stopped retrieving in the current i could feel the fish nipping at my fly. I had a plan of trying to let my line right out to fish right in the back of the current but i couldn't see the current line till it was time to go at around 9pm and light limited. from experience the optimum time to get out there is 1 1/5 hours after high.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:43am
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by wolfie5 wolfie5 wrote:

Good to hear you're still on the local scene, TZ. With some warmer temps now and hopefully more settled weather the fishing will improve.

Did see a couple of swoffers working up near the motorway on the king tides a few weeks back - no doubt looking for some kingfish. 
Personally I've only had one sighting of his majesty there since my capture 2 yrs back ...

Hey Wolfie, yep think that was me too. We staked out the beach for a couple hours on the early morning hightide. No sign of kings at all that day although theres plenty of bait and flounder in there...
Page  <1 169170171172173 237>