Winstones Cove

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote myeyehurts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winstones Cove
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 9:59am
myeyehurts View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

G'day, I have recently started fishing off the rocks on a more regular basis and would like some pointers for fishing at Winstones Cove - has anyone here had any luck here? I went out on Tuesday night with the mrs and caught about 15 sub-20cm snaps so no luck :(

Thanks in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 1:03pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fished there once about 3 years ago, can't remember the time of year but I do remember it was peeing with rain and I went out on the rocks to the left. They were 'kin slippy, luckily I didn't fall in. I think I caught a couple of nice sized ky on straylined pilles. From what I remember the water there is quite shallow and clear so I would imagine if you would be best fishing early morning or evening into dark and try using a tougher bait like mullet or preferably a nice slab of fresh ky.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote myeyehurts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 2:48pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers dude, yeah the water was clear as, looked better for swimming than it did for landing some decent snapper. Do you know of anywhere else around Winstones I might have more luck? I was thinking of trying Little Waiake. Browns Bay is local but overfished.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki-Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 2:48pm
Naki-Fisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are you using burley? if not start to
use decent size hooks 4/0 up my norm would be 6/0 - 8/0
Sounds like you've found a spot that has fish, one thing I've found on a spot i have, is the fish can be small one day and bigger the next.
Keep trying each spot and monitor any changes in a calendar or fishing dairy i.e weather, tide moon etc if only i had started recording catches when i first started fishing.
My calendar is predicting potential bigger fish should be caught from today for the next few days. fishing morning and night
The 20lb+ Snapper club No Longer Eludes me Broken with a 12kg new PB
Goal for the next 12 months: catch another 20lb+ Snap and watch it swim away
Hook a King LB here in the Naki.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:11pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished it in the past: Low tide head to the left and on high head to the ledge on the right. Heaps of baby snapper but have seen a couple of decent fish come in - usually low tide in the late pm. Good fun when the ky come through. Lots of eels after dark from the low tide spot and there used to be a big as ray that gave us a workout from the high tide ledge. Very rocky and lost heaps of tackle.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 7:23pm
welshbaz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Also there are lot's of smalls snaps around everywhere at the moment, they're like a plague of pirhana's with nothing else getting a look in. I haven't fished the east coast bays that much, but Red bluff at the southern end of campbells bays could be worth a crack, you might have to fight for space though as it's quite a popular spot. Try checking out the 'Auckland Rock fishing guide' thread. Loads of local spots in there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote myeyehurts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:49pm
Bronze
Bronze

Went to Winstones on Sunday with the Mrs and a couple of mates but had no luck at all. I might give it a miss for a while and head somewhere else, the freezer is getting low on stock!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 6:24pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey ya M

Def fish the low tides in the late arvo - If it gets dark around 7 get a dead low bout 6 so it's coming in just before dark!!!
Fish with no sinkers just floating baits.

I have fished the next bay round ( Ladders ) the very first times was on the high tide and fished the ledge to the left - I use to get a lot of 10lb snaps there although it was prob bout 25yrs agoConfused

It's the best place I fished back in the day as one time I got the tides wrong and ended up there on dead low but was lucky as there was a great low tide reef there I started fishing. Again 25yrs ago this is where I caught a lot of 20lb + snaps and the biggest I got was 28lbShocked If you fish this spot again get there on the dead low and fish that in coming just before dark - The down fall at this spot is it use to get better and better as the tide came in so I would fish it in a weti till it was around my waste ( need a head tourch )

These were a couple I got there - One has a date 96" and the othere you can prob tell from my great 90's hair cutLOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cambam_aesthetics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:42pm
Cambam_aesthetics View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone catch much at browns bay rock ? Off the actual rock ?