LegaSea

Page  <1 6970717273 93>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 4.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 5:54pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The problem"Tagit" the way I see it is,regardless of which party is in power and who the minister is,they are only relaying and relying on the same bureaucrats/civil servants that have been in there for yrs patting themselves on the back saying how great qms is,need to change those in charge of each department as the minister does not have a day to day running of mpi more likely their role is to explain why or much more funding is required.
But when you a fishing company onboard making huge donations and being your president are you going to stand up and say 'We are wrong,the inshore fishery is in state of collapse"?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gunangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 6:56pm
gunangler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I assume you all know of the roumer that Sealaord and Talleys have made some substantial donations to NZ First. It kinda indicates why Richard Prosser has been dropped way down the list to a position he probable will not make it back.

With the NZ Outdoors party we are not in this for a job. We need to make change so any negotiations we have with another party trying to form a government will be pretty tough and we will not bought off by "positions"

We feel no one in power seems to understand or really care! hence a party made up of fisherman and hunters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:50pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hadn't heard that rumor and who knows how credible it is. It wouldn't be a surprise however with the distinct possibility that Winston P could end up in coalition you can imagine the commercial fishing companies starting to spread their 'largesse' wider than normal. If NZF got into a position of influence and nothing happened to improve recreational fishing it would just confirm my (possibly/hopefully wrong) view of NZF. The ability for commercial enterprises to make 'donations' to try and influence political direction is a very sorry part of our democratic process.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:18pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A quick google search of the electoral donation system (publicly available) shows no donations to NZF exceeding $30k over the past 12 months up to 4 Sept 17. That means that they either happened within the past 10 days (legal limit for public filing) or the donations have been disguised, or they didn't happen, or they weren't that big. 
If you can believe the report it would seem that none of our big seafood companies have donated over $30k in any 12 month period to any party since 2011. There are however a bunch of individuals and families and more obscure company names showing so who really knows without trying to dig through the background of each one. 
Bit more reading - it seems that you can donate up to $46k anomalously between 2 elections to each and every party as you choose. So could be $46k for Nats, $46k for Labour and $46k for NZF etc. Not sure how much influence you buy for $46k though?

Lots of interesting reading if you are interested. Last election the promo spending was Nats $2.5m, Lab $1.3m, Greens $1.3m and NZF $270k. Greens got a very bad return on investment it would seem. I wonder how much the spend difference ends up affecting the result? I figure it could be quite a bit. So maybe we get governed by the guys with the biggest bankroll and that makes these donations even more of a proper democracy killer. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:53pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit   I think we are heading for ding dong battle this time. Money may help but if the message is stale it won't help.  What were national thinking with their lame running Ad?

I suspect Winston is out for Winston First....  and everyone else a distant second.  We will see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:12pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hope you are right about the money vs message John. On the other hand I am more confused this time than last time and really don't know which way to go yet. Richard Prebble wrote a slightly nasty piece about Jacinda in todays paper. Not much of a Prebble fan and not really into character assassinations either but can't help but think he had a point. Put a very inexperienced leader in control of what would likely be a messy coalition with some pretty diverse agendas and it just screams of a mess. Who knows what crazy deals could get done. On the other hand, pretty easy to dislike the smug buggers who have become so seemingly arrogant since been entrenched in power. This might be a 5 whiskies and dartboard vote for me. 

If NZF was led by anyone else than Winston I would probably consider them as a viable way to vote. I just can't quite build any faith in WP, and policies mean nothing if you don't believe they will get implemented. I always love/hate the way that Winston seems to grab 2 or 3 populist topics leading up to an election and run hard on those as vote getters knowing that he won't ever have to deliver on the policies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have emailed Richard and await his response
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:18pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit is right that MPI like to have new information before making management changes. There is some indication that recreational catch is down in SNA 1 and commercial catch rates in the Hauraki Gulf are down. MPI are spending millions on the current round of recreational harvest estimates. They will surely wait for those results before sticking their neck out on SNA 1 management changes again.

Some decisions need to be made soon about commercial use of the new trawl gear (PSH) and whether the bureaucrats will allow the snapper tagging programme to start. 2018 will see Marine Protected Area legislation surface again. Who knows what will happen when they let that Genie out of the bottle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 9:53pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When thinking about our snapper fishery management I always think back to the mid 2000's Jim Anderton decision on Orange Roughy quota cuts that got overturned in court when the 'lack of unquestionable science' was challenged by the industry. From memory it took another couple of years after that before the fishery completely collapsed. So we knew that it was going to collapse but our QMS is so screwed up that we couldn't stop the short term profiteering to save it. 
This is our world leading QMS where the publicly owned asset is managed by the guys extracting and profiting from it whilst us the asset owners have almost zero input into it's protection unless it is proven beyond all doubt to be already collapsed. So instead we have to spend $millions of public money and waste years of valuable time to get to that unarguable point where the fishery is on the verge of destruction and only then can we limit commercial overfishing. Can anyone think of a reason why our fisheries minister (MPI minister) would ever defend a system that leaves him so powerless to protect our key fisheries? Seems bloody stupid to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:49am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Paul

Thanks for that. I have heard that also. And I appreciate your support - 12% gets me over the line, then watch the fireworks 😉

9% in the 1News poll tonight puts us just about there in real terms. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

RP

Sent with BlackBerry Work
(www.blackberry.com)

Date: Thursday, 07 Sep 2017, 7:59 PM
To: Richard Prosser <[email protected]>
Subject: fishing companies

Hi Richard
There is a rumour coming from the new Outdoor Fishing and Hunters party that sealord/talleys are giving donations to NZF and that's the reason you have been dropped down the list.
Hard to be leave that is true when NZF has such a great Fishing Policy.
Outdoor Fishing party DO NOT  get my vote and they will not obtain the %5 threshold.
My party vote is for NZF and not sure who the Papakura Candidate is but will most likely get my members vote,how could I or anyone vote for Judith Collins.
All the best
Paul Carnahan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gunangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:31am
gunangler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think everyone in the outdoors would hope Richard Prosser makes it back to parliament.. I hope our vote comes from the greens...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 7:42pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How water quality affects snapper fishing on the West Coast - "Three or four years ago, NIWA did a study on our snapper because 99 percent of West Coast juvenile snapper come from the the Kaipara Harbour," he said.
"This study showed that our snapper are mutating - their gills are mutating because of the heavy load of sediment in the water column."
from the Legasea Facebook page
Did not a forum member say this will happen and someone said NO 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 5:11pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Key Messages from Fish Care
The School of Best Pactice

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting times
NZSFC and LegaSea look forward to working with the New Minister of Fisheries, Stuart Nash from Napier, and a seperate Ministry of Fisheries.

Media release
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 10:06pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by John H John H wrote:

] Interesting times
NZSFC and LegaSea look forward to working with the New Minister of Fisheries, Stuart Nash from Napier, and a seperate Ministry of Fisheries.

Media release

Lets hope the new Fisheries Minister wakes up to the Tourism/Recreational value to the economics of NZ with our fresh and salt water fisheries, versus export fish wasted by inferior commercial methods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:58am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well he does have history of wanting to ban com inshore fishing, and asking questions in parliament to min of fisheries on rec fishing in several SN  fishing.
As to if is allowd by caucus to move in these dirctions and has the backbone to get around the in breed pen pusher bureaucracy.. time will tell.
 And a lot will depend on just how vocal, media attention .. on top of the great efforts of Legasea.. the rec sector becomes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:46am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by John H John H wrote:

] Interesting times

Media release
Personally I have been a huge skeptic about anything meaningful being done so would really love this to be a first step in proving my doubts to be wrong. I guess the next really good sign would be to see a huge shakeup amongst all the career public servants within the ministry. It may not be that there are lots of bad people there, but the long entrenched internal policies/attitudes won't disappear unless a shakeup of some sort happens. 
Change resistance is a natural human instinct and in public servants it is usually more heavily entrenched than normal. Change = risk so fight or delay change at all costs. Lets face it, there will probably be a new Minister in 3 years time so if you can fob off change for that long you then get a new guy to do the same to again. "Can't do anything until we have yet another 3 year study completed boss."

Then in my wildest dreams I imagine the government tackling the major issue screwing our fisheries and correcting all that we know is wrong with our QMS. I can probably afford to stay skeptical on that one for a while longer I am thinking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 10:28am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LegaSea want your views on the state of the crayfish stocks in the Hauraki Gulf and Bay of Plenty. 

There is a video and short poll on management options currently on the table here

MPI will take submissions on settling catch limits until 5:00 pm on Feb 9.

Later this year there will be a review of regulations including recreational bag limits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 2:07pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LegaSea want your views on the state of the crayfish stocks in the Hauraki Gulf and Bay of Plenty. 

What crayfish?
 What scallops? or the scattered few left
 What paua?
 Oysters , good ones few and far between.
And muscles not far behind
Then throw in good rock crabs..

A handful of people who getr out on a regular basis, do a lot of prospecting do get a few, keep the lid on where.. and harvest sparingly to maintain... no... extend the time can be harvested.
 Well till someone accidentally finds that spot, usually rather remote inaccessible, then heads out with a couple wool bales...

in saying that SOME of the above

That is the state of the gulf from top the corro to Kawau
Just ask any law maker (MP or minister who portrays to be a keen fisherman and based in the greater Auckland area

And thats where the irony lays....
 the same ppl who make the laws, regulations that have allowed/ encouraged the legalised commercial rape of the gulf since the late 60s.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 2:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

John.H done and went for 2yrs no take. If we are serious we need no take reccs/comms.Lets not risk the few remaining undersize by catch and release.
Page  <1 6970717273 93>