Lake Arapuni?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Arapuni?
    Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 1:33pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anybody fished it recently, I'm looking for somewhere to take the kids to try out my new trolling motor Saturday Avo.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mike thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 7:04am
mike thomas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Bigfishbob, I have not fished the lake myself for ages but I have heard that the trolling is pretty good at the moment, fairly close to the shore line and the head of the lake are the spots.
Cheers.
Mike
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 12:59pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any worth trying for a cast from the shores?
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 9:54pm
Catcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

kenshin ive had good success spinning from the shore.fish change of light and target sandy areas with deep water close by,landing road is a good example of this but not when theres too many campers and boat activity.if you really want a secret thought try a dark coloured soft bait Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 10:35pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catcha Catcha wrote:

kenshin ive had good success spinning from the shore.fish change of light and target sandy areas with deep water close by,landing road is a good example of this but not when theres too many campers and boat activity.if you really want a secret thought try a dark coloured soft bait Wink

THanks bud, the only and last time I was there I only manage to snag is weed on the landings. Hmm softbait huh. Any of them toby's work/? Anyone care to share (PM is ok) some other forms of access.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:21pm
Catcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

apart from the landings/ramps the best access is really by boatas most of the lake is surronded by cliffs.you can access the top end below waipapa dam from the car park there,most fish here with bait or smelt fly and a sinker.you can also access the mouth of the mangawhio stream via a walking track from the boat ramp road that is about 200mtr north of waipapa dam but dont leave your car down there its dodgy as.as far as tobys go a medium sized black and gold is a good bet for puni.the top sideof the waipapa dam is a good spot especially down the power house end but is worth fishing right along the whole rock wall also the waipapa river mouth/bridge is a good spot plenty of small fish here but i have caught some nice browns on occasion

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheEpicFishermen123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 9:44am
TheEpicFishermen123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

In my trout fishing experience I have tried a wide range of methods and fishing lures. the best one by far, is the floating plug, which floats when it hits the water so if you cast over a log or snag it wont sink and catch. you just wait for it to float down the current until its in a safe spot, then retrieve it, or if you cant then just flick it off the top of the water to the bank and watch your head! as you start to retrieve (with a spin rod, the lighter the line the farther the cast and even further with a nice flexible rod tip) the bill digs into the water and takes the lure about 3 feet under, depending on the lure and the speed of retrieval. the plug also moves superbly, like a bait fish under the surface. this lure continues to out-fish all other lures and iv'e never blanked while using it. Its a great choice of lure to use at the lake, and anywhere else.Smile