Softbait braid to mono knot

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 9:40pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"five turn surgeon" is my knot of choice for joining braid too fluro.
Why? - 1/ Quick
         - 2/ Strong
         - 3/ Tag end of the fluro is facing the reel, so doesn't catch in the guides when casting.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 9:55pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

"five turn surgeon" is my knot of choice for joining braid too fluro.
Why? - 1/ Quick
         - 2/ Strong
         - 3/ Tag end of the fluro is facing the reel, so doesn't catch in the guides when casting.

X2, except 4 turn.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 10:22pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Potty Potty wrote:

Tag end of the fluro is facing the reel, so doesn't catch in the guides when casting.
Haven't had that problem, Potty.  Mind you, I always have a long leader (at least twice the length of the rod) so maybe that's the answer with the Improved Albright Knot.  Or maybe I have just been lucky so far...
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 10:56pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

.Hi,

I've been recently practicing to tie the FG Knot. This knot is said to be as strong as the PR w/o using any bobbin. THis knot doesnt need any doubles or your legs. Just your teeth on the early stagesLOL.

You can google that this knot is widely used in asian light tackle. Goes out the guides as if there wasnt any knot there.

THis is done in 3-5 mins. Showed it to Mark(marx) and he was surprised how strong it is.\.

Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 8:08pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well yesterday I tied a double with a spider hitch and then did a back to back uni onto my mono and it faired very well for the evenings session.

Today I did the same with the spider and then tied the doubled braid around my mono as a BA no name knot which I like as well...

Just like Dilmah tea do ttttrrry itLOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 10:41pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So what is the diff between the Yucatan knot, the venezuela knot and the improved albright knot?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:02pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spelling?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:37pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

So what is the diff between the Yucatan knot, the venezuela knot and the improved albright knot?
Not sure about the venezuela knot, but this is how to tie the yucatan:
(Totally different to the improved albright....)

1) Make a short double line using aBimini twist or a Spider hitch. Hold the double line and the leader parallel. If joining a mono leader to superbraid make the Bimini with 30 - 40 turns instead of the usual 20 turns.Yucatan knot 1

2) Wrap the double line 4 times around the leader (15 times for superbraid).

Yucatan knot 2
3) Bend the end of the leader back on itself and pass it through the end of the double line. Lubricate with saliva and carefully pull tight. The two lines will wrap around each other. Trim the tag end of the leader close.Yucatan knot 3

4) The finished knot is compact and very strong. It casts well and will pass through rod guides easily. 

Yucatan knot 4

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:06am
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i use an albright knot or a back to back uni knot depinging on what i feel like doing at the time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 9:40am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can skip the spider hitch when tying back to back uni. Just flod the braid back on itself before tying with the doubled section.

The only difference you'll notice is one less knot.

Do TTTTTTTTTTry it!Wink
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 9:54am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whats wrong with the knot I showed you Al, I would be keen to hear if it is failing you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:12am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have tried the Yucatan and its easy - certainly easier than the back to back uni (and much stronger).

This website has good pictures.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:44am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

whats wrong with the knot I showed you Al, I would be keen to hear if it is failing you

Nothing at all mate, but with light skinny braid and fat sausage fingers I have trouble tying itLOL

Yeah I know, practice GrasshopperTongue
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:46am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

You can skip the spider hitch when tying back to back uni. Just flod the braid back on itself before tying with the doubled section.

The only difference you'll notice is one less knot.

Do TTTTTTTTTTry it!Wink

I tend to agree with you on that point BFB and also cos a spiders hitch is not a strong knot, 55% strength from memory.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:26pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I stopped using a spider hitch for a while there and tried just doubling the line. Its the cleaner option but I find it a bit fiddlier to tie as you need to be more careful when tightening the knot to get the line laying nicely. Being a lazy **** I went back to the spider hitch. I don't believe the spider hitch is weak knot after pulling for a break on more than a few occasions. I'm really interested in this FG knot. 5 minutes is too long to have a soft bait out the water between rigging but if I get into jigging and top water stuff it looks like the answer to the PR. This is definitely a good day for trying knots indoors. By the way, did anyone watch the fight for life last night? fantastic bouts - all of them Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 9:36am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spiders hitch probably doesn't weaken as much in braid as it does in Nylon. But either way it's still weaker than a bimini. Never really thought of the doubled line as fiddly but I do make sure I'm keeping the turns of braid laid out along the "spine" of Fluor through the knot. Once they're laid out, I pull them up as usual and there's no problems.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:25pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Have been using the lazyman's version of the Yucatan:

Don't tie a double (the double knot is the weakest point)

Make a loop with the braid.  Pass the mono thru the loop, wrap around the braid 7 to 9 time, back thru the loop, moisten, pull tight.  Tied this way it is neat, but a bit bulky, with wraps of mono around the braid core.

This knot worked for me for at least a season, but seems less reliable lately.  I may go back to the 4 or 5-turn surgeon's loop.  Double the braid before tying.  Not as neat as the Yucatan, but pretty reliable.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:33pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geoff - have you tried the yucatan by making the loop in the leader and winding the braid around the leader?  Makes for a slimmer and tidier knot IMHO.... 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ell-nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:47pm
Ell-nino View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Catchalot - practise the Bimini, you should be able to knock one out in a minute or two, and dont use your legs. I saw some joker on "outdoors with Geoff" tie one in a minute, he looped the braid and twisted it in one hand about a dozen times, then put the loop on a bollard, put some weight on the twists and let the twists overlay then threw in a couple of half hitches and that was it.
Attach your leader with a yucatan, also should be able to do this under a minute, then either a uni or rapala (leftys loop) to you jig head.  Paul Senior uses a uni pulled down on his thump (this gives the loop for the jig head to wobble around on) and when a good fish comes on he knot just tightens up. I use a rapala
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 11:09pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by Olfart Olfart wrote:

Here's what I use....

The Improved Albright Knot

If using mono or fluorocarbon, as the leader, this knot draws up to a very slim knot which passes easily through the guides of the rod.  I have never experienced this knot "letting go" ....

Same except I've added a finishing knot on the braid (as you'd finish a bimini twist when tying a gamefishing double) after having a couple pull thru under load. Super-quick to tie and works for me. The only knot that's maybe quicker is a 4/5 turn Surgeons which I'll use for heavier braid.
Online...
Page  <123>